FBL Gyro Microbeast Plus vs Bavarian Demon 3X

Harford

Many thanks. I will pay attention to this. At present I am partly through the set up wizard process. I like the set up process via the PC although I have to say there is the minimum of help out there in the form of good quality set up videos for the Spirit (unlike for the BeastX for example). However, I am figuring out the basis setup as I go through the wizard (and read the manual). I can see a few questions on the horizon though eg options to set the gyro gain.

Heliman450

My T-Rex 550E is currently undergoing a rebuild and yesterday I started by fitting the new side frames. Whilst waiting for them to arrive, I went through a complete update of software and firmware so I will also be going through the same process quite soon.

I have put together many screenshots of the process using an earlier software version and published them here. I'm not really setup in my workshop for producing videos of the quality needed but I can certainly help out if you get stuck. I haven't been through a setup with the latest software download yet so don't have current versions prepared.

Be very careful when using the wizard. My earlier version said that I was ready to fly but the setup wasn't actually completed. I had to finish it in the 'Expert' section.

Finally, what is the heli you're installing it into?

Harford

Thanks for this. I am installing into a standard Trex 600E and using a DX9 Tx. I have got to the point with the wizard where everything is moving in the right direction, swash is level, next step is the pitch settings. So, some way to go ...
I will give you an update tomorrow. Appreciate your help and hope you are enjoying a nice Summer in Zurich. Mid winter here.

Heliman450

Hi there! I finally got round to putting my 550 together albeit at the moment 'loose-fitted' i.e. no screws have Loctite as yet. The electronics are in place for testing but aren't working correctly yet. Next step is get the Spirit Pro linked up to the PC (or my Jeti). I haven't checked it out yet to see if I can do the setup in the Tx. I'll probably do it via the PC first off.

Let you know how it goes, probably on Friday now.

Smoggie

That sounds like a pretty major rebuild Phil, new frames and all! Was this due to an accident or just upgrading?

Hopefully you will both be set for a maiden flight this weekend?.. or are you taking it a bit slower? One of the reasons i like the Vbar is that I'm so familiar with setting them up that it me takes less than an hour from start to finish. I've got another Spirit Pro for my latest heli (XLPower 520) and that will probably take me a bit longer just because I'm less familiar with them, I've only done one before.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, since last year there was a split on the outside of the right-hand side. It wasn't right through and the heli flew ok as my main focus for learning to fly and repair/upgrade as per your suggestions mainly. I noticed a distinct wobble on the rotor. I was able to land without any further damage. I considered a new 550X but decided on the repair. No upgrading, only overhaul. The cost has been much less than a new heli. This will be the last time I overhaul it. Hopefully it will now survive long enough to be my basic trainer/practice heli. I can get over 30 minutes of flight time. It's quite rare for me to get more than this in a morning or afternoon.

I've got a few things going on over the coming days so I don't expect a maiden before next week due to time and weather.

Hopefully, I can join 'Harford' with the setting up etc. during the next couple of days.

Smoggie

I'm just waiting on replacement servos from China. The seller sent the wrong ones first time around which was frustrating because I'm keen to get the heli finished off.

Once the servos arrive I'll do a quick run through of my setup process if it helps. It's been so long since I set up a Spirit it will be as much a learning exercise for me as anyone else.

Heliman450

Hi again Steve, looking at the title on this thread I think we're way off topic. 'Harford' needs to say where to go.......

I'm beginning to feel all fired up about the setup so will try to spend more time this weekend to get it done and published.

Harford

I created another thread called Spirit Pro set up where Smoggie has provided invaluable advice on this subject. I have gone through the wizard process but will not attempt a maiden flight until I know the Failsafe is set up properly. I am looking forward to some advice on this process.

Top Bottom