FBL Gyro Microbeast Plus vs Bavarian Demon 3X

Harford

Has anyone had experience with both of these units and can make a comparison between the two ? I have the Microbeast Plus and very much like it. There are a lot of good comments about the Bavarian Demon so would it really be a step up ? I am not a 3D flier (far from it). I appreciate there are more capable (expensive) BD options ie Axon.

Smoggie

IMHO any modern FBL controller needs to have self level/rescue functionality to be considered 'top drawer'. The Microbeast does have that capability but you need to pay for the 'Pro Rescue' upgrade (about $100 ?) on top of the basic price. The BD 3X doesn't have this feature, so personally I'd rule it out unless it was very cheap. The BD 3SX does have self level and rescue but I'm assuming the Axon is replacing it, so personally I'd go for the Axon unless the 3SX is very heavily discounted.

As for the choice between the Microbeast and the 3SX/Axon... A lot depends on price and your preference for setup method. The Microbeast uses programming via the Tx involving wiggling sticks and interpreting blinking coloured lights. I MUCH prefer the more intuitive PC software interface that almost all other FBL use, but I know some like the blinky light thing, each to their own.

Personally I'd not go for either of them, I'd go for the Spirit Pro, it's cheaper and it has more features. The Spirit has integration and telemetry support with a wide range of transmitters and a GPS module interface is coming shortly, and it has the best stabilisation and rescue options in the business, plus it's easy to setup and flies great! The only minor gripe I have with the Spirit pro is the top entry connectors, but that's the same as the BD units anyway. IMHO the MSH Brain2 is about the only FBL that runs the spirit close at a similar price point.

Geena

Staff member
I have not use3d the Microbeast Plus, but I used the original Microbeast for several years before moving to Bavarian Demon. The Microbeast is much easier to set up than Bavarian Demon, and it flies great. But the tuning options in the Demon are better, but they are way more complicated and harder to tune properly. Also, you`ll need to have a computer handy to change settings on the Demon, where as you won`t need one to change settings on the Microbeast.

Smoggie

FWIW, on the Spirit if you use one of the supported brands of Tx, you can do all the setup right through the telemetry interface on the Tx. Kinda like Mikado's Vcontrol system. The MSH Brain has this capability too.

If you don't have integration support on your Tx that's not an issue because the Spirit and Brain also have programming support via Bluetooth to a smartphone, so you don't need a laptop, just your phone. I think BD have a smartphone app under development.

I agree with Geena, the BD setup is kinda complicated and not the most intuitive. I found the Spirit a lot easier and it flew perfect on the automatic pre-sets for my heli.

Harford

Thank you Smoggie and Geena. I have recently changed the FBL unit on my Trex 550 from its' original 3GX to Microbeast Plus. I already had a Microbeast on my 450L and liked both the ease of setup compared with the 3GX and the way the heli flies. Hence I bought a Microbeast for the Trex 550 and I am not disappointed - I feel it is a nicer machine to fly than when it had the 3GX. I have a Trex 600 with 3GX and it is for this machine I am considering a new FBL unit. Microbeast Plus would be a safe way for me however I am interested in looking at the alternatives. I like the idea of setup via computer. I am using a DX9 Tx.

Geena

Staff member
You`re quite welcome, Harford. You can`t go wrong with pretty much any of the latest FBL systems. They all fly pretty well these days, and most are relatively easy to to set up and tune. Plus, most of them are getting onboard with auto leveling and bail out. Which I wish I`d had when I was learning to fly. Let us know how you like the Spirit as compared to the BeastX. It would be awesome to hear your opinion on the flight characteristics between them.

Harford

Many thanks Geena and Smoggie. It is inevitable that I will have questions over setup so I will be calling upon you. Many thanks. Probably a couple of weeks before it arrives - I am looking forward to it.

Westy

LEGEND
I have Bavarian Demon 3sx (2 of them) and a firmware upgraded IKON (2 of them also) both are great ... but the 3SX hs the full rescue mode with both normal and inverted recovery to speed up the resue. then ou san simply switch back out and you have control again. Ikon has new coding ... and it works better than ever now.

Smoggie

For info.. The spirit has both 'normal' and acro rescue modes, just like the 3SX.. But it also has a 3rd mode that's a mix of the two and features the best of both. The 3rd mode rescues like 'acro' to the nearest orientation (inverted or upright) but than after a delay that you can set to allow the heli to climb to safe height it flips the heli back upright. This is great because it doesn't leave the heli in the inverted orientation after rescue is performed, which can be difficult if the heli is a distance away and orientation is a challenge.

Soon the Spirit will also have a low cost GPS module too..

Harford

I have a lot to learn about the Spirit. I am interested to know what practical capability will the GPS provide ? I have some experience with a multi-rotor and programming the controller (which obviously has GPS) to fly a course but no experience with GPS on helis.

Smoggie

The GPS module is still under development so it's feature set hasn't been announced yet, but the very minimum it would give is a rescue function that incorporated position hold.

But potentially it could have a whole load more capability, return to home, 'geo fence' and 'hard deck' (i.e. heli has a minimum altitude that it wont go below in normal flight) are some possibilities, among others.

Dennis H

I am trying to keep this confidential as possible/QUOTE]

Thanks for your time and consideration, Dennis

I will have to add the rest tomorrow, it was deleted somehow during the reponse.

Heliman450

A bit late to the table on this one but for anyone interested I'm using a Spirit pro and an Axon. I wanted to learn the differences between gyros. Being relatively new to the hobby, of course it slowed me down a bit as I've been learning almost everything since early retirement in 2014. No, that doesn't mean unlimited time, only more time to enjoy the hobby :bellyroll:

I don't use the stabilisation features of the Axon on my 700X as it seems to fit my current skill level quite well without it. It's standing in for my 550 right now as I'm doing a rebuild on it (no crash). It's the Spirit pro that first interested me as I can do all the programming from my Jeti DC14 Tx. since doing a full upgrade of software and firmware on all my stuff.

I queried the different Cyclic Pitch set up with B.D. and got an interesting answer. They say to set 9 to 10 degrees of Cyclic Pitch................ I recently set my Spirit pro with a similar value (9.8 degrees) and didn't see any bad signs for a few flights before the strip-down. Incidentally, I've been waiting over a month now for the new frame to be delivered for the 550.......... very frustrating :evil:

Tony

Staff member
I didn't read this entire thread, but I will put in what I have learned. If you do not like to program, then go with the BX. It is much easier than the BD. But if you want more control over how your bird handles, get the BD, it has many more controls that you can adjust. Hope this helps and sorry for the late reply.

Harford

Thanks, but I took the earlier advice from Smoggie and Geena and purchased the Spirit Pro. In fact today I have just started the install process on my Trex 600 (replacing a 3GX). So far all connections done, part way (only) using the Spirit set up wizard. I have a lot to cover (learn) to complete this process and inevitably I hope for advice from you guys.

Heliman450

Don't forget to make sure you set the fail-safe settings (can't remember right now where they are in the software). I was checking around the governor settings on one occasion and afterwards the fail-safe settings had disappeared. Despite having the 'Hold' switch on the heli began to spool up. Fortunately, the blades weren't fitted so I was injury-free and able to disconnect the battery.

Now I always do a test after working in the software or doing an update just in case.

Top Bottom