may day, may day; protos down, protos down

murankar

Staff member
Well today marks the day I had what can be considered a crash, although mild.

I lost my lift due to wind, so I gave some throttle. The stick was feeling like it was a full power. Then I realized my thumb did not have much contact with the gimbal. During the last seconds; since it felt at full stick, I lowered the throttle just a touch. Just as I did that the wind robbed me of lift and I had touch down, hard impact. She landed on the skids, thank god. So I hit TH removed my fingers off the sticks and I look, barely 3/4 throttle.

Now the moment of truth. Any exi, HK or any other cheap clone would need every normal part plus tail output shaft to fix. Mine so far is a screw for the main gear and tail blades. If the feathering shaft is done I already have one from the original package.

ForumRunner_20130426_194127.jpg

Broken blade
ForumRunner_20130426_194510.png

Boom looks straight.
ForumRunner_20130426_194930.png

There may have been another issue I did not see but I think it was all me and some wind. Not much wind but wind none the less.

ForumRunner_20130426_194127.jpg

ForumRunner_20130426_194510.png

ForumRunner_20130426_194930.png

Tony

Staff member
And this is why I have been training myself to pinch the sticks. It's hard as hell and like relearning all over again, but you have a better feel of the sticks. Could have been much worse, thankfully, looks like you got away lucky.

And when you set a heli on the ground in the wind, always go to full negative pitch to hold it there. If you have purchased the autorotations from smack talk, Bobby talks about this in there.

Repair and fly again bro!

Westy

LEGEND
Lucky huh? ... that is one thing I did not like about the smaller class helis ... LACK of POWER!

I like the fact that if it all turns to custard on my 600 I can punch full throttle and hope she survives! has saves my bacon a number of times on close ground impacts!

murankar

Staff member
I have been working the autos. They are not pretty but I land. Once I get the head apart I will check the shafts. My exi would be toast after this impact. I was about 4 feet up and what surprised me was the skids and vertical fin came from the exi and they held up. I am glad I had no boom strike and I was upright on the skids.

The noise was when it hit was a thud. Well next is the rebuild and I will see if the exi tail blades will work for now. I'll paint orange if the do.

I need to clean the bearings anyways so I was going to tear it apart anyways.

Oh and the motor is a 3s motor and my c rating is to low for this motor. So that's my lack of power. I would like to get this to 4 or 6s so I do have the power.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
A good crash, that would be a re kit. This was minor. Yeah it sucks but now I have a reason to dismantle the Protos for maintenance.

murankar

Staff member
I just dug out the tail blades from the exi a bit ago. They fit in the grips and the grips tighten down on them which is good. No the length of the blade is longer on the EXI and the cord is narrower by about a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. I think the size will balance out and my tail hold should be about the same will see. Time to get the flight stand out and do some testing.

I have populated a cart with some extra stuff and it sits till the wife gives the OK. I am trying to get the yellow gorilla skids, the yellow KBDD blades main and feathering shafts. I sit at about $45 on the order before shipping so who knows.

Last edited:

Lee

You got off very lightly there Matthias. I would call it a hard landing instead of a crash :D

murankar

Staff member
I was thinking thinking as much, but I did break something. Anyhow I have my shopping cart full still waiting on the word.

callsign4223

Staff member
Yeah, that sounds more like a hard landing. But better call it a crash to get the first one on this bird out of your system and take the jitters away.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah warp Went down today 12tg flight lol

It went in full power upside down tail down.

Didn't break the blades !!! Hahahahha can't believe it

But just letting you know . It happens! :(

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

murankar

Staff member
I was thinking thinking as much, but I did break something. Anyhow I have my shopping cart full still waiting on the word.

Lee

Yeah warp Went down today 12tg flight lol

It went in full power upside down tail down.

Didn't break the blades !!! Hahahahha can't believe it

But just letting you know . It happens! :(

Let me guess, tail first inverted funnels or hurricanes and you gave it too much aileron??
How did the rest of the heli stand up to the crash?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Let me guess, tail first inverted funnels or hurricanes and you gave it too much aileron??
How did the rest of the heli stand up to the crash?

Exactly what happened . It wasn't even even a snake and I did that piro funnel 8 manuever and it all went fine... Just a little anti clockwise hurricane and it dug itself

My loss:

Main gear BROKE .. No not stripped the bottom part where the tail putty sits broke a chunk (can't find the part number)
Tail hub bent
Canopy standoffs plastic ones broke
Mks95i gears (tail servo stripped)
That's it I think.

No blades injured.. No frame not even tail. All good and one peice. . Till I dissect it and check the belts.

Will check shafts

Luckily I had ordered everything from pro hobbies and all I need is servo gears and main gear and I should be up to fly! :)

I love this warp!

Tony

Staff member
Suckage Gaba. Sounds like it's a very stout heli. If I would have done that to the 600, it would be $200 before getting it back in the air lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Today was a long day tearing down and rebuilding the air frame and motor. First I had to take out something like 50 screws out of the frame and took apart the head so I could get the main shaft out. I checked the main shaft on glass and all is good there. took the bearing from the main blocks and lower block, swash and the bearings in the motor outside and sprayed them with brake cleaner. Holy cow that worked. So now that the bearings are cleaned I brought them in and had to apply a good coating of Tri-flow, now they are like new. Next I have to reassemble everything. here are the pics as I put it back together.

Here is the main block. This is the top block minus the bearing. The bearing is held in by the main shaft collar.

mainBlockTopNoBearing.jpg

Here is the lower main block. I have the bearing already installed on this one. Notice the two screws holding in the bearing.

mainBlockLowerWithBearing.jpg

This is the three blocks installed. Also you'll notice the pulley to the front of the frame. This pulley can only mount on the left frame panel so you'll need to pay attention to which pannel you build when you get this kit.

mainBlockInstalled.jpg

Here is the left frame fully built and ready for the right side. Now I have the motor installed already and if you do it right the motor does not get added till way later in the build. also there is a plastic piece that is attached to the motor shaft, that is also added way later in the build. I will need to remove the "Y-bracket" off the motor shaft to put the belt on. I also have the elevator servo wire rand the way it was intended to run. I inserts into the the frame right below the servo and gets zip tied to the frame near the rear of the frame.

leftSideBuilt.jpg
Now here is the belt installed and ready to have the right side attached the the rest of the frame.
album.php

When it was time to get the main blades back on I did so. This time I made the blades just a bit tighter than normal. The last time I put them back on I did that very thing and noticed that the Protos flew just a bit smoother. I changed the tail blades with the EXI blades and they fit. Now to see if I am going to have enough rotor to hold the tail, this blades are more stiff than the original blades so all should be good.

Once I get the Protos back together and re wired I took it out to finish off the battery from yesterday. I adjusted the gain on the gyro back to 75 since I also re did the tail a few days ago. I just did not use the break cleaner in the tail bearing. Over time my gain had to get reduced to darn near 55 and I did not think anything of it. I so I go outside and did a real slow spool up to check rotation direction and what do you know I got it first try. I got it off the ground and and saw some wag so I set it down and adjusted the the gain down to 73 and the tail locked in. Now thats what I am used to with this kit. Video tomorrow of the first flight.

mainBlockTopNoBearing.jpg

mainBlockLowerWithBearing.jpg

mainBlockInstalled.jpg

leftSideBuilt.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom