General main gear assembly

murankar

Staff member
Well I did a test flight yesturday since installing the new Align main gear. Not sure if I screwed the pooch on it though. After i got the new gears I noticed that I was short a part, the anti-rotation collar. So I figured since the EXI is a clone the collar from it should work, right, well lets see. I got the assmbley together, but the collar was a snug fit but went in. After some struggle to get the screw into the gear and main shaft I finally got it together.

Next I thought I would test everything out buy rotating the main blades by hand, clockwise. It felt tight at first but I kept spinning it and finally it felt like it broke in. So I say to myself I would not fly till I got the new tail rotor shaft to actualy fly it. Well that lasted till yesterday when thin brightly colored heli said "Flyme, Fly me". So I gathered two batteries, radio [with brand new neck strap, and it works great], and the heli.

I get outside do a quick hand spin of the main blades and it felt smooth and free to spin. So I turn it on, plug it in, spooled it up and hit the fun switch. This thing was a hummin, felt much better of course. So I move this thing around a bit taking it higher than I normally would. it was about as high as the fith or sixth floor at the barracks and it was over grass, short grass. eventually I get the heli back down to land and I'm feeling great, so I strap the next power plant on and hit the fun switch again. This time I am trying to fly a box with a mix of tail and side orentation. Had people watching and everything, almost got the nerve to flip itbut didn't. Anyhow my timmer starts going off so I figured why not hit throttle hold and see what happens. I was about 10 feet up and autoed it down with just over 50% throttle in ID mode. She comes down with a slight hop in the grass.

So I carry it back to the walkway and notcied it was not spinning in my hand as freely as it normally would. So I set it down and spin the head by hand again and this time the motor is spinning with it. This is odd i thought so I hold the bigger gear still and spin it again. Now it feels real tight and not sure if I screwed something up any Ideas?

thanks

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like your one way is bad. I would order a whole new one way, or put your EXI one way in.

murankar

Staff member
Since I still have that piece I could do that. I hope thats what it is and it should be an easy fix.

murankar

Staff member
I decided to spin the blades on the EXi tonight. without changing anything they spin freely now. Now I am puzzled, would this still mean they might be bad?

Top Bottom