500 Main gear ain't right!

trainrider06

ok I posted about this weirdness going on with my main gear....
something's screwy.....I have the shim on top
At the bearing holder, and one in between the tail drive shaft and main shaft...
If this video pulls up you can see the slop going on here...I might add that the main gear looks
To be really really close....too close to the frame!
Is there another spacer that's supposed to go somewhere else??
The manual only shows on or so going on top of bearing head and one
In between the main and tail drive gears....
YouTube

Tony

Staff member
You could also mark the video Unpublished so that only those with the link or on the page where you put it can see it and it won't be "publicly viewable" But yes, the video is private and we can't see it.

Tony

Staff member
I just pushed up and down on mine (align 450 Pro V2) and just like yours, it rotates the head... Weird lol.

But I do think you have a little too much slop in the gear. It's almost like you need to put another shim on top of the main gear to hold it down. If it's too close to teh frame that is. Otherwise, you could shim up your main shaft on top of the frame to raise it all up.

You might also be able to loosen your main blocks and pull them away from each other. This will do the same thing as adding shims. Hope that makes sense.

trainrider06

Do those main blocks mount in there with the stamped "Align words" both facing up?

Yes I have tried different size shims on the top block, but adding them only
draws my main gear further up on the pinion, and gets the main
gear very very close to the frame, so close that it looks like
it will rub.
Also does a shim even need be installed on top block?
If I didn't run a shim up there it looks like it would effectively
track the main gear on the pinion....

Tony

Staff member
You don't have to run a shim on the top block. I don't have one in mine. As for the question on the stamp on the blocks, I'm using a Pro frame, and the back edges just curl towards each other (top rear goes down, bottom rear goes up). So I'm no help there.

trainrider06

You don't have to run a shim on the top block. I don't have one in mine. As for the question on the stamp on the blocks, I'm using a Pro frame, and the back edges just curl towards each other (top rear goes down, bottom rear goes up). So I'm no help there.

Hmm? Oh what about the area between the main gear and bottom bearing block?
Can I put shims in between those? Because once I remove the
Shim from top block I'm pretty sure I'll have slop
In the rotor head....
I am just beside myself on why that main gear is sloping around like that....

Tony

Staff member
Yup, you can put it down there. That shouldn't be an issue.

And have you pulled it out to see if it's just the main gear slopping around on the auto gear? Meaning, the auto gear has the one way shaft, and the main gear has the one way bearing. It could be those two things that are causing the slop.

trainrider06

Yup, you can put it down there. That shouldn't be an issue.

And have you pulled it out to see if it's just the main gear slopping around on the auto gear? Meaning, the auto gear has the one way shaft, and the main gear has the one way bearing. It could be those two things that are causing the slop.
Was just about to check that, was thinking maybe I have a one way bearing
wallowed or something like that....

Tony

Staff member
Probably not wollowed, just not as tight as some would like. It should still work though. Remember, when this thing is in teh air, there is almost constant tension on that bearing. ,

trainrider06

Probably not wollowed, just not as tight as some would like. It should still work though. Remember, when this thing is in teh air, there is almost constant tension on that bearing. ,

My biggest issue here is gear alignment, when I install the washer
Recommended between the main gear and tail drive gear, then
my gear mesh is off on pinion and or tail drive gear....it's maddening!
Lol

Tony

Staff member
What do you mean your mesh is off? Is this something that you can fix by repositioning the pinion or moving the motor?

trainrider06

What do you mean your mesh is off? Is this something that you can fix by repositioning the pinion or moving the motor?

The pinion is set at its highest point, I just 're checked it....
When I shim it one way to get the main gear and pinion to line up
correctly, then the drive gear is off, and setting very low almost touching
the frame, when I get the mesh for the tail gear lined up, then the
Main gear sticks up about a 16th of an inch above the pinion
Gear....

Tony

Staff member
And there is no way to flip the pinion on that helicopter? Just tossing out ideas lol. Because I'm about out of them lol.

Tony

Staff member
If your coming North this weekend, I would be more than happy to help set it up lol. ,

trainrider06

If your coming North this weekend, I would be more than happy to help set it up lol. ,

Lol....that would be a possibility......in the summer, that's usually when I will track
somewhere in Ok either on my way to Arkansas to the mountains
or back roads around Lake Murray....but this time of year, ya'll have
too high a risk of snow or ice! Lol

Lillyryan

Umh. Looks like there is an issue with the one way bearing. Dont think the two gears should be able to pull apart like that.
Maybe you could post up a vid of just the drive gears dissasembly and one way bearing. Also i think the lower bearing block should be installed with the writing facing down (but not sure).

Top Bottom