General Main and Rotor Blades for Trex 550E DFC

totoheat

Hello Guys

Am looking to replace the stock blades on my 550 and am looking in future for 3D flight and wondering if I can use Radix YB 554 and YB 95 stir of stock blades am not sure if difference on length could affect performance of the helicopter

advices very much appreciated

Regards

totoheat

Hello Super Bad
Actually I understand that Trex 550E PRO it came with 600 boom and Head at moment I have on it Main rotor SAB 525mm and Rudder SAB 87 mm seems there is space for a bigger blades but I don't want go crazy on that cause really not sure of effect on motor load with bigger blades then stock ones

I mind it cause I have a bad landing and waste the Rudder blades and did some damage on rotor ones so just looking to get a different blades

heli-maniac

Your post said 550e DFC thats not a 550 pro
But if you have the 600 boom then you can go 550 to 600 blades and 96 on the tail
if its the 550 boom and DFC head then 550 with 86 or 525 with 96
I have the v2 with DFC head and 600 boom with Rail 556 blades and 96 KDBB tail blades
Here are some pictures the last one is the rail blades and a 520 revolutions blade that i had on it before

totoheat

Awsome man !!!

I just buy mine last year on April and boom actually says Align 600 Helicopter as well as head and grips everything so I figure its a 550E with 600 build

I was looking for rails blades but I wasn't sure how fare I can go on size cause I have all stock motor main gear etc and I don't know if this going to affect performance of the motor and don't know how to modify

see I just start flying this bird more aggressive a few months ago since I bought it I did some modifications on frame and main shaft block cause I was trying to get rip-off vibration so I took it apart completely and build it again now is flying very smooth as it should this is my first project on this Helicopter size but I did a have a bad landing last weekend and waste blades so I order both new SAB 525 and 87 mm blades but I like RAILS bad but due to doubt on how far I can modify size I prefer not to install a bigger blade until I find out what benefit I can get and how far I can go

well Mate that's my history am a newie, here are some pictures of my Trex 550E

Trex 550E DFC A.jpgTrex 550 2.jpgTrex 550 .jpg

l[1].jpgIMGP0040.jpgIMGP0005.jpg

l[1].jpg

IMGP0040.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

Trex 550E DFC A.jpg

Trex 550 2.jpg

Trex 550 .jpg

heli-maniac

I bet that thing is way tail heavy I know mine is had to add some weight to the nose to get the COG right on it after i added the 600 boom
Looks like you have the 600 mx motor what ESC are you using and what size Batteries

totoheat

Am using 3GX and Castle Talon90 ESC 5000 mah battery and motor yes is RCM BL 600 1220 kv

I have no extra weight on nose to get COG correct its just like that and flies very smooth see i replace the stock shaft block assem and boom brace set aluminum battery mount aluminum Tail servo mount,rear and front mounting frame Aluminum gyro mount and this help to reduce vibration

I replace the stock motor mount plate for KDE universal motor mount the one with 2 slides cause I was tired of having too much vibration and all ways having problems to hover

did some job on main gear and pinion mesh so I work hard to get perfect mesh no more then 0.002" clearance and that reduce noise wear and power consumption a lot and heli is stable as a rock I don't need to use trim or anything to level during hover

am planning to go out this weekend to test the new blades and am going to make a video

before all this upgrades during hover the Heli was walking around the wood heliport and I was all time composing this on Tx now I just push the stick up and lift like a leave

I don't know much of 3GX deep configuration as Roll rate Pitch rate flip rate etc

I notice that when I try to do inverted flight looks like loose of power like if it was to heavy if you know what I mean at moment am trying to find out what is happening

for any other maneuver works perfectly fine its just when you ask for more power it may be the ESC configuration or Rates on the 3GX

like I say am newie but am having fun any way

heli-maniac

Well Ill tell you right now you need to get a good esc the Talon 90 is not a good esc for the 550
I had one and it dose not let the motor work like it should
I also do not like the 3gx Yes it works but its a pain to get it right and the smallest vib makes it go nutts

And I would like to see you do a Video of a cog test buy holding the main blades and then turning it on it side
Like in this Video
Checking the centre of gravity (cog) - Prüfen des Schwerpunktes - YouTube

totoheat

Now you make me think,I will do it and post it so you can see where am I never check COG this way,Thanks for advice

murankar

Staff member
Just remember that when you change the blade length you will also change the flight characteristics. If all you change is the blades then the following wil happen:

1) If you go longer then you will have a more "floaty" feel. This would be ideal for big air type flying. Response will less abrupt

2) If you go shorter then it will feel heavy in the air. This would be more ideal for crisp 3d type flying, "flying in a box" is great with this setup.

Now there are other factors that will play into how it feels like head speed and weight. You will need to play around with your setup to get what you want. There is an equation you can work out to find out what your head loading is which will give you an indications as to how "floaty" ot "heavy" it feels. If your interested in this I will post the link.

totoheat

Murankar,thanks for this advice

Yes am interested playing with this figures at moment my Trex its very stable and easy to fly even in a windy day but am planning to start practicing 3D fly so here is where am going to need more information in regard how to set my blades motor etc

your help will be very much appreciated

totoheat

Murankar

Remember you were going to post link for equation for head loading ? when you have spare moment please let me have it,Thanks

totoheat

Jesse

You where correct the CG was so far off that I start looking the videos I made on my Trex and now I understand why its behavior I mean when I apply Elevator backwards it looks so fast and to heavy not same with Elevator forward

What I did was fabricate 2 aluminum plates and old plastic battery platform I move BEC forward and its battery too now all its perfectly balance as per your video indications Tail stay wherever you put it

am glad I don have to ad much weight to reach CG actually was only the BEC battery and extra weight is only 2 aluminum plates a few grams

I have attached some pics the way it looks its not finished as am going to remove sharp edges and make some rounds shapes

it may looks to rough, I was trying just to place BEC battery on top of the ESC battery but am not sure if can be done having to batteries one on top of the other

having them like that it would be a lot easy but like I say am not sure if can damage the batteries

IMG-20140215-00014.jpgIMG-20140215-00015.jpg

IMG-20140215-00014.jpg

IMG-20140215-00015.jpg

heli-maniac

That should work if the canopy still fits
You did do the test with the canopy on right

I just moved my main battery down some and then put a small 3 cel battery under the front worked great

totoheat

Jesse

Understood, i like more with out aluminum plates just the way you fix it

actually the two batteries fit just fine in the canopy one on top of each other so I will going to remove plates and leave only batteries and I have a Lead plate to add the necessary weight to find CG some around 45 grams to compensate not having the plates and plastic battery mount

Thanks for the advice

Angel

Top Bottom