600 Lube'n It Up

cml001

I was looking at build videos today here at home on my day off. I see a bunch of different practices so I thought I'd get the RCH side of the story. As most of u know my main bird is the align 450.. But as I am about to start this 550 build I thought being its a big bird my technics may not be applicable or need tweek'n.
1) lubing the head: feathering shaft, dampers, & thrust bearings.
2) lubing gears.
3) lubing the one way bearing.
On the head I used to use the Thunder Tiger grease... Dark grey in a little cup.. 2 crashes back I started using boto lube.. Seems fine... Definitely a cleaner product. When I set up I pull it all apart. Coat the entire shaft(minding the threaded ends), the entire damper and replace in the head... And of course the grooves and cup of the thrust bearings. The gears I use are the newer black ones.. I know the white one are suppose to be self lubing... Not sure about the black one but they don't look like they are.. So I coat them lightly w boto. Every couple flights I use a toothbrush and clean out the old and reapply. Now the one way... I used to grease it... But I locked up 2 of them, with out incident thankfully.. So I no longer grease them but I do apply a small amount bearing oil on set up. Big bird flyers holla and let me kno how u do what u do!

Last edited:

danhampson

On both my 450 and protos I use auto transmission fluid on the one way bearing silicon grease on the feathering shaft and triflo oil everywhere else and not had any bearing problems with either bird.

murankar

Staff member
Actually the only thing you should use on the one way is one way bearing grease. Its a specialized grease that allows the one way to be one way. Some have stated using a light oil. Tranny fluid has cleaners and conditioners that will strip away the grease.

For my thrust bearings I use a synthetic silicone grease and up until now I have been doing the same on my rubber bushings. On my main gear, I don't grease them, never really had a need to.

My servo gears I glob them white lithium grease. This is the first time since I bought them two years ago that I put any kind of lube on them. For my bearings throught the kit I use Tri-flow oil. For the motor I do the same but I recommend scorpion oil.

When I prep my heli for lube most of it is cleaned with either carb cleaner or nail polish remover, acetone.

Top Bottom