Looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Maverick1

I'm in need of a little assistance if someone would be so kind. Last night I purchased Clearview and have started using it. It's a great SIM from what I've seen so far but I'm unsure which plane I should be using in it so I can practice before I take my new plane out for real. Being totally new tot he hobby, I'm a little lost so bear with simple questions from a newb.

I just recently purchased a Hobby Zone Super Cub LP BNF from Horizon. I'm told this is the best place to start out if your not a member of a club or you wont' have someone who can teach you.

Clearview has lots of planes in it and I've tried most all of them. I've managed to get to the point where I can take off & land (more or less) but I don't know if I'm using the right plane. The last thing I want to do is think I'm ready to attempt a flight but find out I've been training on the wrong sim plane & crash & burn.

Clearview also seems to have some kind of online option but I can't seem to get anything to work. Is this accurate, or am I looking at the "NET PLAY" incorrectly?

I appreciate any assistance and do thank you for helping a newb!

Mav.

Derek

I dont know anything about the Clearview Sim. I have the Phoenix Sim, so I won't be of much help there.

However, I can say that I believe you are heading in the right direction. I spent weeks on the sim before I actually took my first plane out for the first time last year. Like you, I played around with multiple planes of different sizes and characteristics. I can tell you that there probably isn't much of a "preferred" starter plane on a sim. The sim is a great tool that will help you learn your orientations and "basic" flight characteristics and it will help you learn the muscle memory that you'll need to fly around. Go ahead and spend the time on the sim...play around with just one plane or even all of them. It probably won't make much difference because when you do decide to take your Super Cub out for the first time there are gonna so many new issues to contend with. For example...actual wind...actual gravity...your own nervousness...and much more. Just take it one step at a time and progress as you get more comfortable.

I'm sorry that I can't help much with your Sim but maybe I gave you a little help.

Good luck!!!

Westy

LEGEND
Go For the Cesna if you can find one in there..... they are docile, high wing profile and you should get similar results with it.

Tony

Staff member
Really, any high wing will replicate the plane you are getting. However, the planes with a lot of dihedral will be easier to fly than the cub since the cub is a high, straight wing plane. Doesn't have any self righting tendencies like a trainer with a lot of dihedral.

First and foremost, just remember the #1 saying in this hobby. IT'S NO "IF" YOU CRASH, IT'S "WHEN". You are going to crash and you are going to break stuff. It's just a horrible part of this hobby. When you do, just take a couple days off and come back if you get discouraged. We have all been there. And again, any questions, just ask.

murankar

Staff member
If you want an easy plane to fly try the RCH plane with a 3 servo setup.

Once you get comfortable in the sum then fly the RCH trainer, once you got that then move up to your new plane.

Maverick1

All GREAT intel! Thanks a lot! I got the plane & controller today. Tonight is reading about the controller. Tomorrow will be construction of the plane. Now all I need to do is wait for the snow to end. lol

SIM, here I come!

BTW. What's with the online section of this program? Does it not work?

Tony

Staff member
I never could get the online part of that sim to work right. For that, it's best to go with Phoenix and fly with many others here on the site. but, since you just purchased this one, I can understand not wanting to purchase another one.

Maverick1

I can't get over how much money these SIMS are going for. It's staggering!

I was going to get Phoenix, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money once I found Clearview just to learn since CV would get the job done just as well.
I found out that I've got a buddy that lives near me that has Phoenix from a few years ago. He offered it to me, but he doesn't know where his Phoenix interface is.
So, that's a great big box of uselessness. lol
I told him I'd purchase a new one but he'd have to buy it since he can prove proof of purchase.

Derek

I just wanted to throw this out there for ya...if you do get Phoenix Sim....I'll fly with ya. I'm not online all the time, but if you post a message in the forums under "Phoenix Sim", I'll get an email notification and I can meet ya. Im in Indiana, USA. If you don't get the Phoenix sim...I hope you can find people to fly with. It's alot more fun that way.

Good luck!!!

Tony

Staff member
Okay gentlemen, lets keep the peace here. I have cleaned up this thread and lets try to keep things on topic. Thanks.

Clearview will do what you need it to do. For a $40 sim, it's the best bang for your buck that you can get. The physics are less than Phoenix and RealFlight, but they are enough to get you in the air and flying. Where it's going to start lacking is when you start doing precision moves. That is when the physics of Phoenix or RealFlight kick in and become superior.

So don't worry about CV not working for you, it will do just fine until you succumb to the temptation of better graphics. That is if your computer can handle it. Now, go drink some sweet tea and get that bitter flavor out of your mouth :biggrin1:

Lee

Sims are there just to get your fingers working. Some may be better looking or more realistic, but they all do the basics needed. I have Heli-X for Mac, another 'cheap' sim. Its all i have ever used for all my flight training. I fly ok :D So don't worry what sim you have, just enjoy it. :)

Top Bottom