Projects Looking for advice on a craigs list find!

Gerald

I was on craigs list and came across a listing for rc plane 20$. I contacted person and bought the plane. Well I was surprised when I got there! The plane was big at least to me. 49 inch wing span and 28 inch fuselage, looks to have been a gas plane or maybe was never flown hard to tell. I would like to fly it, seems to be a trainer only has elevator and rudder. I am looking for ideas on motors, props, batteries etc. If you have any hints or suggestions to help get this old girl in the air I like to hear them! This will be one of my winter projects! OH I want to stay with electric motors!
View attachment 8788View attachment 8789View attachment 8790View attachment 8791

Tony

Staff member
Something like that you will want a 400-450 size brushless motor. There are a number of them out there. But, you are going to have to measure from the firewall to the tip of the nose to find out how long the motor needs to be, adn the max can size that will fit in there. Once we have that, we can narrow down the motor choices.

Gerald

Looks to be 2 9/16" back to firewall and 1 1/2" wide, I think the width can be slightly altered if needed.

Tony

Staff member
So that would be 65mm x 38mm. I will see what I can find. Dia is not that important, but the length is. Need to get that prop out there past the cowl.

Tony

Staff member
Are you sure on the length? 65mm is very long. I'm talking, I have a .32 size motor in my Edge 540 and it's only 50mm, and it's way too much motor for this plane. Is there any way you can get a picture with a tape measure? I'm thinking you may have to modify this a bit. Nitro engines are longer than electric motors. So you may have to build an 1/8" plywood box to mount the motor to. It would be helpful to know the AUW of this plane, that woudl help with motor selection. I"m thinking 90g in the 1000kv range swinging an 10x6 prop.

This plane is pretty much the same size as the RCH trainer, so I think the motor on the trainer will work on this plane as well. And that is the Exceed 2215-1300. Might need to go just a tad bigger to add some nose weight. But, if you can get some good pictures of the nose, I think we can do more.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you will have to build a firewall, or just run a nitro engine.

And AUW stands for All Up Weight, or the weight when the plane is ready to fly.

We do have an Rc Dictionary here on the site. I just found out that AUW is not in there. It will be shortly though.

Rc-Help - R/C Dictionary

Top Bottom