Looking for a Heli instructor

Giby1

Hi Guys,

I am a long time "Fixed-Wing" flyer.
I belong to a "AMA" affiliated club, "Tri-State Modelers" out of Dubuque Iowa.
I got intrested in heli's a little over a year ago and have since tried to muddle through learning
the heli on my own.
This morning, I was watching one of Tony's how-to videos, and he mentioned how expensive it was to
learn on one's own and I do agree with Tony.
I used to instruct fixed-wing on the buddy box so I know how useful an instructor is.
I was just wondering if there might be someone out there, kind of close-ish to Dubuque Iowa who
might want to take on an "Old Fart" (69) as a student.

Tony, thanks for a guy like me to put this type of request out there.
Your video's are great.

Giby1

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Giby1, I wish I was closer as I would help you out in every way that I can.

Tony

Staff member
Or, as I have been saying for years, you can GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE!!!!! hahaha. There are no oceans in Iowa though lmao.

Giby1

Lee,
Are you anywhere near Dunstable.
I'll be there the summer of 2015.
My inlaws, are coming here this coming summer.
Tks anyway.
Giby1

PS
Just read Tony's reply.
I agree

Lee

I will be back in Spain by April next year. Just staying in the UK for the winter earning some $$$$.
If you all club together for a ticket, i'll be over there like a shot :D LOL

Graham Lawrie

I will be back in Spain by April next year. Just staying in the UK for the winter earning some $$$$.
If you all club together for a ticket, i'll be over there like a shot :D LOL

Me to:) I can ship anywhere in the world:)especially when someone else is paying:)

Ken Jackson

Hi Guys,

I am a long time "Fixed-Wing" flyer.
I belong to a "AMA" affiliated club, "Tri-State Modelers" out of Dubuque Iowa.
I got intrested in heli's a little over a year ago and have since tried to muddle through learning
the heli on my own.
This morning, I was watching one of Tony's how-to videos, and he mentioned how expensive it was to
learn on one's own and I do agree with Tony.
I used to instruct fixed-wing on the buddy box so I know how useful an instructor is.
I was just wondering if there might be someone out there, kind of close-ish to Dubuque Iowa who
might want to take on an "Old Fart" (69) as a student.

Tony, thanks for a guy like me to put this type of request out there.
Your video's are great.

Giby1

Are you using a flight simulator? That is where I would start. I learned Helis first so switching to planes was easier. If you have the touch already from flying planes I think with some sim time you could self teach yourself. I'm only one state away from you but would have to classify myself as intermediate. I spent a small fortune learning to fly over the last 2 years, or should I say learning how not to crash, Lol.

Ken

Giby1

Are you using a flight simulator? That is where I would start. I learned Helis first so switching to planes was easier. If you have the touch already from flying planes I think with some sim time you could self teach yourself. I'm only one state away from you but would have to classify myself as intermediate. I spent a small fortune learning to fly over the last 2 years, or should I say learning how not to crash, Lol.

Ken

Thanks for the come-back Ken,
I do work with a simulator, 6.5 Realflight.
Getting to the point that I can fly most of the heli's on it.
I have a FP heli (Novus N-200) which I can fly, but when it comes to CP heli's I freeze up. Have been trying to get my Blade 450 in the air and it is costing me a bundle.
I used to instruct on fix wlings with a buddy box and I think that what I need, to get me into the air.
Anyway, thanks again to the comeback. Sooner or later I'll get there.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Great New-Year.
Bill

Tony

Staff member
That "freezing up" is pretty common. It's the first hurdle that you have to get over in this hobby. The second, is forcing yourself to go into FF. I remember when I was there, hovering was all I wanted to do, but the helicopter was all over the place. Then, I got a good helicopter and things got a LOT easier. I was able to hover. Then, one day when Matt (callsign4223) and my brother in law were at my house, we were going to do some flying. Well, hovering actually. I put it up into a hover and went nose right and said the hell with it, and pushed up on the cyclic and off I went. I could fly the smaller heli's and on the sim, so I should be able to do it on the 450. And, after pushing myself a bit there, I was able to break that second hurdle. Now, it's all about learning new moves.

Just go slow and give yourself time. You will get there. Make sure to turn the realizim up on the sim. It will make it harder to fly on there and It will teach you more.

Giby1

Thanks Tony.
I've decided to back to square 1.
Just got finished going over your video on DX8 set-up.
Now I'me on your "Head Set-up"
Then, it will be on to all the other find tuning ect..
At the end, I'm going to put the "Training wheels" on it.

Have a Great Holiday season.
Merry Christmas.
Bill

Top Bottom