500 Looking at a 550 Align

Tomhintz

I am considering buying a Align T-REX 550E PRO DFC Combo and adding a Spektrum AR7200BX and wanted to see if there are any known land mines in this outfit. I got to fly one a bit the other day at our field, OK hovered it around but it felt great and seemed way more stable than my Trex 450 which I like a bunch. At our field the Align T-REX 550E PRO DFC Combo is well regarded but I wanted to check a bigger pool of possible owners to see if there are any hidden things to watch out for.

Tony

Staff member
The only real down side that I have heard of is if you have a 50w charger, it takes way too long to charge those 6s packs lol. It's a great helicopter.

pvolcko

You'll like it. 7200BX is a great FBL. 550 size is a great mix of stability and power, while saying in the single 6S pack realm for batteries. Align is a proven manufacturer. Only thing I'd be hesitant on is the DFC head. Align in particular has had some issues with them. I think they have the kinks worke out now, but keep an eye on the screws, arms, etc on it.

Tomhintz

You'll like it. 7200BX is a great FBL. 550 size is a great mix of stability and power, while saying in the single 6S pack realm for batteries. Align is a proven manufacturer. Only thing I'd be hesitant on is the DFC head. Align in particular has had some issues with them. I think they have the kinks worke out now, but keep an eye on the screws, arms, etc on it.

I had heard about the dfc but everyone at our field with that head is having no issues with them. I will keep an eye on it though. This will be lots of money flying around so I will keep up on maintenance!!

heli-maniac

The only problem with the DFC links is if it was used on a regular swash plate and not a DFC swash
the force of the blades will pop the links off a regular swash

pvolcko

I read they also had issues with screws sometimes snapping or stripping out. They had to upgrade their stock part to a CNC machined hardened steel screw, probably on the DFC link or the arm-link connecting bolt/screw.

Lee

Great heli. My friend has one. The only issue he has had was the CC Talon ESC shutting down in flight a couple of times. Not sure what the cause was, but looking online, it isn't a one off case. He has since changed the ESC.

Tomhintz

I ordered the Align T-REX 550E PRO DFC Combo, an AR7200BX receiver, swashplate leveler and a couple batteries this morning. GOT THE LAST ONE THEY HAD!!!! So hopefully next week I can put t together.
This culd be a big week as I have a brand new plane coming as well, one of the first on the US continent so I need to get that together and flying quick as well! I'm gonna be busy!

Top Bottom