Chargers Lipo charging

FF781

Looking for help. I got a new charger for my batteries. I am charging the following battery at the following rates

30c 22.2v 2900 mah 64.4mhm

Charge rate 2A
Volts 11.1
Balancing 2A
What does the discharge rate mean

Thanks Dave

RandyDSok

The discharge rate means exactly what it sounds like... the rate at which your charger can discharge a battery at.

I suspect your charger can charge more than one type of battery and each battery chemistry type has different requirements for it's proper care and maintenance ... but in the case of LiPo batteries... you aren't simply suppose to charge them and let them sit around... that is bad for them. They want/need to be cycled ( charged/discharged )

A LiPo battery usually ( there are different types ) has a nominal rating of 3.7v per cell. This is the voltage that it is best to store your battery at. When you fully charge them up... they hold about 4.2v maximum and in fact... going over that amount is hard on them and could be dangerous. The minimum charge you not let them get below is about 80% ( some say 70% but the 80% is still better ) of the maximum charge... or around 3.3-3.4v... discharging them more also is hard on them ( lessening their lifespan ) as well as being potentially dangerous.

What does all of that mean... Well... if you charge up your batteries beforehand... you want to use them within a day or three ( at max ). If for whatever reason you don't... it is recommended that you discharge them back down to 3.7v ( to their nominal voltage ). Likewise... if you used your batteries and have them drained to their minimum ( say 3.3v ) you would want to charge them up to their nominal voltage if you aren't going to use them again soon... or their max if you planned to go out the next day.

If your charger does support more than just LiPo batteries... the other types also have their "preffered" charge amounts and aren't just like the LiPo's. Lead acid batteries ( like what your car uses ) for example like to be maintained at their max voltage. So for each type of battery... you should look up what their best maintenance cycles should be.

People have often not even thought about what a rechargeable battery needs for care and maintenance, they never read the instructions ( if they were even available ) nor looked for them if they weren't available... They just charged them up and let them sit or used them at their whim. In many of the types... this would shorten their potential lifespan.

Last edited:

Lee

The battery you have is a 6S battery (22.2V) You have your charger set to 3S (11.1V) ???
Depending on the power of the charger you can charge that battery at 2.9A
Discharge rate is how fast the battery can deliver its charge to the motor. So 30C means 30 X the capacity of the battery.
30 X 2.9A (2900mah) = 87A

FF781

The battery you have is a 6S battery (22.2V) You have your charger set to 3S (11.1V) ???
Depending on the power of the charger you can charge that battery at 2.9A
Discharge rate is how fast the battery can deliver its charge to the motor. So 30C means 30 X the capacity of the battery.
30 X 2.9A (2900mah) = 87A

I set my charger to 2A 22.2v. Battery charged. All cells are reading 4.16 to 4.17

FF781

Ok I have another question on the batter charging. On my charger I have a fast charge and a normal charge option. I under stand what amps to charge at but what about the volts. Do I leave it at 22.2 for the 6s packs and 11.1for the 3s packs?

Oh and I hovered the 500x for one batter cycle, so far it like it. . There are some things that are way different than my 450 3d. I will post some things later on.

Thanks
Dave

Lee

The charger should be set to the voltage of the battery. So 3S 11.1V, 6S 22.2.
Then you can adjust the Amps to adjust the speed at which it will charge the battery.
You have to know what the charge rate is for your battery.
1C means you can only charge it at the same Amps as the capacity of the battery.
ie. a 2200mah 1C (2.2A) battery, you will set your charger to 2.2
a 2C can handle 4.4A and so on.
Its always best to charge at 1C unless you are in a hurry to fly. It increases the life of the battery.

Don't mistake the Charge rating which will be between 1C and 5C, with the Discharge rate which could be 20C to 50C or more.

h i can someone please help a newbie wit a battery chargeing question i have a 7.4 v 1000 mah 20c lithium polymer battery can someone explain to me what to set the charger to help would be much appreciated i dont want to blow me or my house up would it be 1.0 a 7.4v 20c or no? I have a imax b6 charger.

Slobberdog

your charge current will be your battery capacity/1000 multiplied by your charge rating of the cell (1c, 2c etc)

so for the battery you have stated 1000/1000 = 1amp charge rate

for the best longevity of your batteries then charge at 1c, if you want to charge quicker and your batteries are rated to do so then use the 1000/1000 x 2c = 2amps for example,

2c is the max I go on my batteries even though some are rated at 5c,

Top Bottom