Leveling your swash with a zip tie

Derek

Thank you, murankar!!! This is exactly the type of video I like to see. I am very new to the maintenance aspect of rc heli's. Especially because of the severe lack of help from my LHS, I'd really like to be able to do this type of work on my own. I've got hundreds of zip ties here at the house, so this tip is very useful.

It looks to me that you were working on a 450 sized heli. Would there be much difference using this technique on my 500?

murankar

Staff member
Should all be the same. I used a small zip tie. They are thinner and easier to work with.

And that is my Protos mini which is a 450 size.

zenmetsu

I do this differently. I place the zip-tie around the shaft as you do, but I used some CA to attach a short section at a 90-degree angle so that it comes down and touches the armatures on the swashplate.

I then move the zip-tie up/down until it just barely brushes one of the armatures, usually the elevator, with the swash at mid-stick. I spin the main shaft via the autorotation gear and compare the other two armatures, adjusting them until I get the same amount of contact. I then go to the full up/down collective positions to make certain that the swash is still level. If it is not, I can adjust the endpoints of my servos with my servo programmer. :)

Derek

That's a pretty clever way to do the leveling, as well. Great comment, zenmetsu!

Top Bottom