General Lessons learned the hard way

treff

Do not buy cheap servos, especially the tail servo. Do not buy cheap servos full stop. I have checked all the servos on a first build after what I would describe as a firm landing. Every one of them had been stress at the mountain lugs to such an extent the plastic becomes brittle then breaks. The servos I believe need rubber mounting grommets to absorb the vibrations and some of the shocks of general flying especially when a newbie. This is another lesson learned the hard way. I.E. through the wallet. The servos I brought were probably good in a glider but definitely not in a helicopter.

Lee

Which ones were they Treff?
I put some Corona servos in a Heli. Never crashed it or had a hard landing. Couple of months later doing a bit of maintainance, I notice one servo was moving. On closer inspection the whole housing was falling apart. Checked the others and they were all the same!!! Brittle as a brittle thing. They are now used in my scratch build planes, and just hot glued in place.

treff

Hi Lee, These servos are Emax ES 08MA, very cheap but I was surprised every one broken at the lugs so I do not think they were design for helicopters. Inside they are quite well designed, metal gears and they still work well, I will put them in a glider I am building so they will not go to waste. I have order some towerpro and Align for the tail. Getting bore waiting for the bits to arrive, even started to rebuild the first heli as the weather here is pretty poor. Still only a few days and we will be soaking up some of that Spanish sunshine. Can't wait. It seems like a long Winter. Cheers

Westy

LEGEND
you can buy the rubber grommets ... so you could still go the cheap path :).... if you really wanted to.

But it is like Race Motor Bikes ... the only thing between you and the road is brakes and tires..... Skimp on either and you will pay dearly for your folly!

Helis .... it is Servos and Gyro ... same thing .... as above applies!

treff

Cheers Westy, Yes of course your right. It's just that I'm a tight old bugger in me dotage lol. What is annoying I have been building and flying planes since I was about 15 years old. I hade a break from the hobby for about 6 years and forgot everything I had learned and of course technology over took me. Most folks were just thinking about changing from 27MHz to 35MHz when I was last in the hobby. Things have changed especially the invasion of Chinese chunk. That I find is the biggest thing sorting the crap from the good stuff. Still I suppose you pays yer money and you get what you pay for. Cheers

Top Bottom