Projects Lees's Scratch built Flying Wing

Lee

We will get the bottom surface glassed today. Hope to have it ready for the weekend or early next week.

Lee

Ok we have now laminated the whole plane and given it a paint scheme.
We use one layer of glass cloth on each side and a very light filler. AUW is 900g
Here is the bottom
IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Shes quite big.
IMG_0361.JPG

Top is Black to contrast with the bottom.
IMG_0364.JPG

So now we need to mount the hinges and Ailerons. Fix the servos into position and shes ready to go.

Last edited:

Lee

I'm not sure yet. I will get this one flying first see how it goes, then we can come up with a plan to sell some, if it viable. We have a beautiful Edge 540 custom built here too. Its a full carbon construction, custom molds. All it needs now is the gas engine, which is in the post. Its been my friends 2 year project so far. We started a thread on it but funds stopped the build for a while. Here it is. Edge 540 Scratch build

Derek

Oh wow, Lee! That wing looks great!!! I'm definitely excited to see it fly. Well done buddy!!!

Whirlybird

Looks great Lee! I think you could probably use it to Kitesurf . . . without the kite :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok we have now laminated the whole plane and given it a paint scheme.
We use one layer of glass cloth on each side and a very light filler. AUW is 900g
Here is the bottom
IMG_0359.JPG

With the blue tape added, this one could pass for our side of the pond . . . or Captain America's new shield :)

Last edited:

Lee

Its come to a stand still for a while. We did try a maiden, but as i suspected, the servo we had lying around weren't strong enough. So we are waiting for servos and we are making a few aerodynamic changes.

Derek

Hey Lee! Whatever happened to this project? I know that you've had a lot going on over the last year. I was just wondering if this wing was still around.

Lee

Its sitting in my friends factory in Spain. I will be back there in March.
We did try to get it flying, but the servos we had were to feeble to control the ailerons. Stripped out before we even got off the ground.
I will be continuing with this project s soon as i get back. I actually built another one without covering in glass.
So its lighter and i think it will fly much better.
Can't wait to try again.

Derek

Outstanding! I was hoping it wasn't lost or forgotten, lol. I was sitting here looking at my wing and I remembered that you had this project and I wanted to ask about it.

treff

Lee, great project but you can buy these at hobbyking for 50pence. Just kidding. You should try sloping this before you put the motor in. Its great fun off a ridge or sand dunes. Cheers

Lee

hahaha Thanks Treff,
I am ordering the FX61 from HK which is very similar, when they get back in stock :D
I want a plane to use for FPV and I can't wait to get back to Spain :D

Top Bottom