Projects Lees's Scratch built Flying Wing

Lee

I'm finally taking advantage of my friend Bobs workshop. He has a board making factory for Surfboards, Kiteboards and Windsurfboards. He's also very famous for his fin designs, so knows a lot about profile shapes for wings.

First we needed a bit of foam. :D

attachment.php

Cut the profiles out of 2mm G10.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bob sanding the rough bits off from our shaky hands :D

attachment.php

Couple of mistakes on the first test wing as the wire wasn't hot enough, and our timing was a little off between my side and bobs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first try came out ok with a little sanding needed.

attachment.php

The final wing, and we have 3 more ready to put together.

attachment.php

I think we still have some foam left for a couple more LOL :D

attachment.php

The cut offs.

attachment.php

We will be wrapping the leading edge with carbon to give it strength. Tomorrow we will arrange the electronics.

IMG_0316.JPGIMG_0317.JPGIMG_0318.JPGIMG_0320.JPGIMG_0321.JPGIMG_0322.JPGIMG_0323.JPGIMG_0324.JPGIMG_0325.JPGIMG_0326.JPGIMG_0327.JPGIMG_0328.JPGIMG_0329.JPGIMG_0330.JPGIMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

Last edited:

Derek

OH WOW!!! This is exactly what I wanted to do! Just awesome, Lee! I've built a 49" flying wing, from foam board, using a KFM4 airfoil and I hope it works out well but when the weather gets a bit warmer here...I wanna make a wing like this. I've seen several videos on Youtube about doing this with a hot wire cutter and it just looks awesome. I'll be following this thread, for sure!!!

Tony

Staff member
:Opps:

First picture not working.

But great job on the flying wing. Something like this has been on my to do list for a while now.

Lee

Ok, so we got a bit more of the plane done.

Here it is with the cutouts for electrics and the wing tips. We cut down the wing size and used the ends to make the tips.
IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

We filled with a special polystyrene water based filler, that once dry adds negligible weight to the model.
IMG_0333.JPG

The battery tray i made slightly deeper than the battery, to allow for CoG alterations.
IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

The airfoil tips after sanding.
IMG_0336.JPG

We are adding one layer of glass to this model, for strength and a little durability as this will be Bobs plane and he's just learning. The second model will be mine, with all the refinements from this one :D
IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

Adding the resin. Giving it the fake carbon look with dark resin :D
IMG_0342.JPG

Weights are to keep it from warping in the drying process.
IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Once this is dry, we will turn it over for the bottom layer.

Lee

I'm considering making a X8 style FPV plane next with a big storage compartment for camera gear. But i also want to make a Edge or similar 3D plane and my dream is to build a Spitfire. My friend Bob has a Unit upstairs from his workshop that will be free in a couple of weeks. He says i can use it and build as many planes as i like. There is no shortage of foam, glass fibre and carbon. I really want to learn how to use his CNC machine as well. Problem is none of this will pay the bills, but maybe in the future. I have already had a guy in the US ask me to cut him some wings, but he though i live over there.
I have named the plane. It is now officially called the TFC Wing after my friends company Tarifa Fin Company.

Derek

Yeah, I'd love to have an X8 style wing. Just like you said, with a big storage compartment for camera gear and such. That would be awesome! What size motor and esc are you planning for this wing?

Lee

We have a Pulsar 20 980KV motor with a 11x5.5 prop from Germany and a 40A ESC. The servos will be Hitec 81 something, cant remember right now. And the battery is a 3S 3300mah. It will run 4S on this set up too.

Tony

Staff member
Looking good. Are you guys going to leave the foam in it, or are you going to melt it out?

Lee

The foam will stay inside. If this flys well, we may look into making a plug from it and building a mould to make multiple wings quickly.

Tony

Staff member
You guys put too many "U's" in your words lmao. Mould, Colour... Mold, Color... lmao

that would be a pretty cool idea though. I have thought about it, but that's all I need, another project lmao.

Lee

Thats because when the English sailed across to the Americas, they became lazy HAHAHAHAHA :D

Tony

Staff member
I guess that is why we invented Radio Controlled hahaah. Nothing like a hobby you can do and never have to move...

When are you going to get this wing in the air? I hate waiting... lmao

Top Bottom