Projects Lee's F22 Raptor build

murankar

Staff member
Excellent flight. Now I want one, i got everything but a motor. Would three 9g t-pro's work on this build or could I go with 4 t-pro's? I know I have yet to fly fixed wing, but I have flown a couple in the Sim. What kV motor would would you use on this this thing?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can use 3 T Pro servos on this. Teh plans have it for 2 aileron and 1 elevator. And let me tell you, this elevator is HUGE lol. I think you could cut it in half and make it better.

And I would run a 2500kv motor on 3S with a 6x4 prop. I think Lee's motor was a 2350 on 4s, but don't quote me. I believe it's posted in the first page of this thread. But, 2500kv with a 2200mah battery will work great. Just remember, this is a propjet and it is VERY twitchy for those that are just getting into it.

My opinion, build the RCH trainer and learn that, then this one. Might save you a little foam in the end. But if your like me, you will skip the trainer (everyone should build the trainer...) and go straight for the jet lol.

If you build this, go to walmart and get some spray insulation foam and fill the nose up with it. It will save the nose when you crash. Or try to help save the nsoe lol. Check out my FF-22 maiden flight. I cracked the nose, but it didn't break off.

Lee

Thanks Matthias,
I'm using only two servos to make it an Elevon controlled plane. I split the elevator in half so i basically have two ailerons for both sides. The motor as Tony said is a Turnigy 2836 motor at 2350KV (actually 2800) I run it with a 6x4 apc E prop and a 60A ESC. I use 2200mah 3S pacs and 1800 4S pacs. The 3S gives me longer flights, the 4S is just for speed runs.
You can use anything from a 2200KV 50/80g motor up.
The only issue i'm having is battery ventilation. My 4S is getting very hot and puffy, cause theres no air getting to it. Its basically sitting is a little insulated jacket (not good)

murankar

Staff member
Is there a way to vent the battery? If I do build this I think I would build the frame just to have it and then build the trainer complete for learning more. I like the idea of the pusher prop. As long as you cut the throttle the prop would be in a safer location in case of a crash.

One question, what's meant by yank and bank?

Lee

Yank and Bank i don't know, but Bank and Yank :D thats the terminology for how to control a Elevon set up. Elevons are the flaps that act as ailerons and elevator at the same time through mixing. So to turn, you roll the plane over (bank) then pull back on the stick (yank) to turn. No rudder needed all done on the right stick. Its a very easy way to control the plane.

- - - Updated - - -

I added vents to the nose today, and it seems to have reduced the temp of the batteries. You can see the battery through the hole.

attachment.php

Also added a magnet clip.

attachment.php

100_2936.jpg100_2938.jpg

100_2936.jpg

100_2938.jpg

Lee

Getting it more dialled in with 4S now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

I saw your maiden on YouTube before seeing it here. Your first take off was exceedingly eventful but you handled it well. After making some changes to your Dual Rates, it really looked great in the air and handled very well. Nice job, buddy!!!

Lee

Thanks guys, I'm going to build either a Extra or a Yak54 next. I want a 3D plane to try all those acrobatic tricks.

Derek

I think an Extra or a Yak54 build would be pretty cool!!! Your F22 came out really nice!!!

Lee

Flew the F22 today and it ended badly. ESC came unplug from the RX while in a ballistic climb out. Turned ground wards from about 100ft and nosed straight in. Considering the angle and speed, the damage was minimal. Only the nose back to the wing was damaged. She'll be in the air again soon.

Lee

:D Two words, Foam board!!! I'll just cut the bad section out and glue in a new part :D

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is an easy fix, been there done that lmao. here is a suggestion. When you build the new nose, use a little spray expanding foam into the nose. It will not add much weight but will add a lot of strength to the nose of the plane.

Lee

It had foam in there already Tony. I think that help heaps. I mean it came down vertically from about 100ft, so shes strong thats for sure. Anyway my friend with all the CNC machines and huge blocks of foam (surfboard manufacturer) is going to make me a new fuse on his CNC machine. I've got him flying his piper cub for the first time, now hes hooked :)

Top Bottom