Quad LED lights

WyDiablo

Sorry could not find a section for this topic. Do you guys think that these leds would run off a 3S lipo without burning up. It has a jr connect for the rx but thats only 5v.

WyDiablo

I have some led strips on my hexa but they are 12v and I run them on 3S. I tried to run them off the rx but they were extremely dim at only 5v. I think they would be cool to locate one on the underside of where the motor mounts on the dji arm.

Lee

3S would probably work, but would reduce the life of the LEDs. Maybe get a small voltage reg to reduce the voltage a touch. I have one with and adjustment screw, so you could adjust the brightness :D

pvolcko

If you have some diodes laying around you can also string 3-6 together to get the voltage a bit lower without the cost of a voltage regulator. Each one will drop the voltage .7v so 6 will be the equivalent of a cell in a charged lipo, more or less. I'd cut either the red or black lead on the LED array then put the diodes in series just twist fitting and trying to get the brightness where you want it (careful not to touch any metal leads to the LED board circuit). Once you have it dialed in, solder the diodes, cut some shrink wrap to cover the whole thing plus enough to cover the ends of the wire leads you're splicing into, cut the lead so the size matches up to the uncut side, solder the diode string to the leads, shrink the tubing down, done.

Tony

Staff member
I'm wondering if they are not looking at it as a 3s being 11.1 volts. This is a classic China oversight. But, running a resistor on the LED's will reduce the voltage where it needs to be. Go into radioshack or the like and tell them your voltage (12.6) and your requirement (11) and they will get you the resistor that you need.

pvolcko

Resistor will work, however, if you're going to go that route might as well get a potentiometer (variable resistor) that way you can dial in the resistance and brightness you want.

Stambo

I use a pot to dial in the voltage and current (brightness) that I want then measure the pot with an ohm meter and get a resistor as close as possible to that value.
You can also strip a cheap servo and make it so the brightness is controlled by a dial on your tx.

Top Bottom