Prop LED gun light installation

bbj

To mount led lights behind the gun ports on each wing I will need to route the wires from the leading edge to the channel the servo wires use. What would be the best tape to use for hiding the channel I need to cut to route the LED wires in a EPO foam wing? It needs to be paintable and not peel loose from the foam.

Tony

Staff member
I wouldn't use tape. I would use hot glue or some kind of epoxy. Tape will come up over time.

Blade_flyer

I if you take great care when you cut the channels in the foam, save the pieces that you removed. Stuff the wires into the channels, and if you carefully trim the foam strips that were removed, you can use some CA to tack those back in covering the wires. But just tack them in with a dot of CA spaced every inch or so. That way, if you ever need to remove the wiring, it will be easier than if you glue it back in solid. If you take care doing this, after you paint, you can't tell were the wire tracks are.

Another method is to fill the tracks over the wires with DAP lightweight spackle. I use this all the time on my foamies if I get a dent or hole in the plane. It is so light, it will not add enough weight to the plane to be noticeable. I buy this at Lowes or Home Depot.

Bud

bbj

I actually finished this part by cutting in the foam a channel from the light location to the servo channel. But instead of hot gluing I glued every inch or so to hold the wires and then filled in the channel with Hobbico Hobbylite filler. Its ultra light weight, easy to sand and will not shrink. Its meant to fill holes in wood, foam and fiberglass. I still need to do the painting which will be done next week once I receive my new airhose for my new gravity feed gun.

bbj

The reason I picked the Hobbylite filler was because or what this video showed. He completely redid a foamy to look like a real warbird without the foam popcorn look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXSSPvyPfVs

Top Bottom