Learning to fly

Derek

Hey there, concept30....we all start where you are at now. You have nothing to feel embarrassed about at all. You keep asking questions, we'll keep answering them.

I've seen that the discussion has begun about the pitch of the blades and the pitch curves. however, I'd just like to say something and hopefully clear up any misunderstanding. As I was reading the above, I kinda sensed a bit of misunderstanding, so here it goes.

When Tony said 0 degrees of pitch at mid stick, he is referring to the pitch of the blades. Do you have a pitch guage? Hopefully, yes! If not, you'll need to get one, for certain! With two motor wires unplugged and the heli powered up...move your throttle stick to mid position. Put the pitch guage on a blade and check for 0 degrees of pitch. If you need help with this part, we can get you there.

Tony, and several other RCH members, helped me out with my first heli and I have to say..without them...I probably would have sold it and moved on. Tony gave me a Pitch Curve of 46,48,50,75,100 and a Throttle Curve of 0,25,60,60,60 and it helped me greatly and I'll tell you why. Regarding the throttle, below mid stick doesn't really matter much. We're just trying to get the blades spinning. At mid stick and above, I had a constant 60% throttle rate...never higher...never lower. Now, we are talking about the Pitch Curve. The "46" and "48" degrees of pitch are there to help you bring the heli down gently and hopefully without any dropping surprises. The rest of the Pitch Curve is what you will use to raise and lower the heli. It was such a major improvement for me to do it this way. Once you get more experience with your heli and your Tx settings, you can make your own changes so that the flight characteristics suit you.

I do hope that I've helped a bit. I hate it when I try to be helpful and only add to the confusion.

Good luck buddy! Stick with it and you'll be doing solid hovers in no time!

concept30

Thanks buddy helped alot, I do have a Pitch guage, when i get some blades I will do a flight and post the video here since the topic is "learning to fly" but it will only be me and my heli sliding around, i wont be going up in the air til i get use to the controls

concept30

cant upload my video, anyways, i cant get a Posi patch on my head, when I move the stick up I get 12 degree Nag pitch, I tried REV the Pitch but that doesnt help, i tried messing with the linkage doesnt same to help. maybe i missed something

Tony

Staff member
If you are trying to upload the video to teh forum, we don't allow that. Not only do we not have the bandwidth, but we don't have the server space for videos. You need to upload it to youtube or the like, then post the link here on the forum.

If you are reversing the Pitch servo, that is ONLY reversing a single servo (should be the left front servo). You need to go into your Swashplate (or swash afr) menu in your Tx and take the pitch in there from positive to negative, or vice versa.

Lee

Go into Swash mix. Change the value of the pitch form neg to pos or vice versa. So if its at 60% change it to -60% This will sort out the pitch movemnet to the right direction.

Tony

Staff member
Wait, Lets back up a bit. When the swash is going up, you are getting negative pitch? If so, then your blade grips are flipped upside down. FB heli's should have a trailing linkage, and FBL heli's will have a leading linkage.

concept30

Tony i dont believe the blade grips are upside down cause the nut for the bolt to hold on the blades are coming from the bottom like its suppose to, i really dont wanna take the blade grips off cause it took me soooooo long to get them just right on the feathering shaft, and Yes when I move the stick up i get Neg Pitch. Ok I finally got Youtube to let me download my video, i hope it explains my problem.
Blade 450 - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
I have looked up the head on that helicopter, and if you have a flybar, then the linkages on your blade grips need to be on the trailing edge.

concept30

i beleave that the linkages is on the trailing edge, if I change them over it will be backwards meaning that the nut will be on top

Tony

Staff member
If you can get some clear pictures of the head, that would help. That video was only in 240p and very pixelated. Couldn't see much at all in it.

concept30

it was something wrong with the TX settings, i bind my heli with another channel now im getting to much Posi pitch555416_471290232968290_541807144_n.jpg558208_471290202968293_398159688_n.jpg

555416_471290232968290_541807144_n.jpg

558208_471290202968293_398159688_n.jpg

concept30

Thanks Tony, i just went out at Knight, way to hot in the evening and I slide around the ground, its hard to move alot with both hands at the same time, has loose rocks on the ground the training gear gets stuck, i stoped cause it was just geting to dark, I didnt make a video cause my phone is dieing and im have troblem getting it to charge might be a bad battery

Tony

Staff member
My memory is horrible. However, there are "spirits" that are helping with that lmao. I will take your word for it though.

concept30

His right, I notice that on my Blade 450 that when i more the stick up the swash plate goes down yet im at positive pitch, so weird

Top Bottom