Scale Leading Vs Trailing Pitch Control

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey guys, let me ask. I have a very nice scale rotor head for my bell47 except for its a cw rotating and the Bell is a ccw rotating. There's really no way for me to flip the arms over. The only way I see is to make it a trailing edge pitch control. Did some goggling on + and - delta and I think it has zero like most fbl heads and the blades are semi-symmetrical. Any input here would be a big help, thanks,T.

Smoggie

In practice i dont think you will notice any significant difference from the trailing arms, you just have to remember during setup that 'swash up = pitch down'.

You may notice the effects of CCW rotation more.. What about the one way bearing drive direction? Assume this can be easily reversed by flipping the bearing? The tail drive would need looking at too, if it's torque tube the end fittings are sometimes screwed in and would unscrew with reversed drive, tail rotation would also be reversed on a TT. If belt then the tensioner (if fitted) will be designed for CW rotation. I know someone you did reverse rotation on a Trex 700 and found it really hard to fly, turns out we learn to deal with the effects of CW rotation and we need to some extent to 're-learn' when rotation is reversed.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry if I wasn't clear, the heli is already ccw rotating which is why I would have to change to trailing control. Ive flown a few ccw including my Bell222 and honestly don't feel any difference. The tail setup was the big difference for me...lol

Smoggie

Ahh.. sorry, must be me miss-reading your post. I've never tried CCW rotation so was just going by what my buddy told me. To be honest his heli had been crashed a few times and was in need of some considerable TLC, so the odd flying characteristics may have been nothing to do with the CCW rotation!

Top Bottom