Kens Crash Report

Tony

Staff member
I agree with what is posted above. If your gain is too low, your tail will drift and not correct. You will have to keep giving it stick input to bring the tail back around. Most times it will rotate the heli body CW when looking at it from the top. But, if your slider is not centered, it could go CCW. You want to adjust your gain until you get a wag, then back it down 5% and leave it. Make sure you are testing this in IU2 if you have it. Otherwise, 100% throttle to get the most accurate tail gain.

Also, if you are running a DX8, you have to go into the gyro menu and set the switch to gear, AND the channel to gear for the gain to work. If you are doing this on a 3GX with the DX8, then Gear is your Gov and your gyro is on channel Aux2. Confusing I know, but it is what it is. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Ken Jackson

It was a little too windy and I didn't want to idol up at all. All new servos, tail and blades. I just took the linkage loose if its binding it is very subtle. I think I'm going to replace the bushing that glides along the shaft because that was what I questioned before. I did replace one bearing in the tail rotor blade grips and probably should have just changed them all. Not sure why I didn't.

Thanks guys I'll let you know what I find or better yet shoot another video. Been sick, bronchitis. Feel like someone is standing on my chest. Been sucking an inhaler for the last 5 days. I guess I'm getting better but its going slow. I think I have coughed a half million times since last weekend.

Weather has been bad so I guess I'll get through being sick and be ready to fly when spring actually arrives.

Thanks for your input guys.

Ken

wolfman76

Hope you get it worked out Ken.... I have a exi 450 also don't have a TT tail but i just installed a orange thrust Tarot tail on it though would love to see a photo of it i will psst one of mine.. I also have some videos of mine on my YouTube my name is megawolfman76..

wolfman76

Here is a couple of mine

Here is the tail cnc tail assembly and the orange Tarot thrust tail grips...

ForumRunner_20130414_144321.png

Have the align carbon tail boom

ForumRunner_20130414_144428.png

ForumRunner_20130414_144035.png

ForumRunner_20130414_144321.png

ForumRunner_20130414_144428.png

Ken Jackson

Guess I should say what's under the hood. A cheap mystery 3800kv motor I'm going to replace, Cobra 60 Amp ESC, AR6115e receiver, GP790 Gyro, DS415 cyclic servos, DS425 tail servo, Tarot 450 PRO torque tube. Those blades are junk, put new Align blades on after that picture. Also bundled and fastened the wiring. The servos and TT are brand new. Maiden flight having problems with the tail, going to replace tail rotor control set and tail blade grip bearings.

Then we will maiden flight it again. It may just be this bird but it has always had a squirlly tail. Was hoping the TT would help, plus the boom is 1" longer then the stock SE tail.

Ken

Ken Jackson

We have the same blue aluminum frame. I forgot you are heavy in the art work. I suppose I would be if I'd stop putting them in the ground. I may sell this one anyway I really want another 500. Would like a 600 but parts are too much at least until I get another year or two flight time. Lol

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

My bad thats a carbon fiber frame.

wolfman76

Not sure on the kv of the motor but i know it its a exceed rc 450 class motor 30 amp exceed rc proton series rc

ForumRunner_20130414_145223.png

My r

ForumRunner_20130414_145359.png

Exi 8g digital servos d213f's

ForumRunner_20130414_145605.png

Gyro is detrum GY48V

ForumRunner_20130414_145716.png

Writes definitely need cleaned up to

ForumRunner_20130414_145223.png

ForumRunner_20130414_145359.png

ForumRunner_20130414_145605.png

ForumRunner_20130414_145716.png

wolfman76

Actually it is a painted metal frame looks carbon from a distance though it is the version 2 i have had it about 2 years...

Graham Lawrie

Looks bad Ken:( I was fortunate with my 450 and it suffered minor damage due to blades popping off, was not worth the photos. I am only hovering with training gear. My 600 is now ready for the same and i hope i dont have the same as you, but it is all part of the hobby:) I enjoy the build as much as the flying, and when you are as bad as me at flying, thats just as well. Good luck with the re-build, see you in the air soon:)

Ken Jackson

Kyle,

Looks good, how does it fly?

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Graham Lawrie,

Did my share of training gear hovering, all part of learning. I don't have any training gears left I broke them all, Lol. Do you use a simulator?

Ken

Last edited:

wolfman76

So far each time short flights with a crash each time... Think i am missing something when setting it up it is back together obviously but have not check it thoroughly yet

Ken Jackson

My 450 is so crazy, it has always been unpredictable at times. Like out of no where the thing turns 90 degrees or 180, makes you pee yourself then crash from panic I hate that, Lol.

Ken

I took some video today in my garage. I'll get it uploaded so you can see what it's doing. I just replaced the GP790 gyro with an older GP750, I am stumped. I also replaced the generic main shaft with an align main shaft and I am swapping the swash plate. The one on it is sloppy. I'm looking for anything that could be causing vibration.

Ken Jackson

Kyle,

Do you get over near Chesterton ever? Some Saturday when the weather every is nice again, you should one over and fly at my favorite place. Pretty sure the pavement would be an adequate runway for a plane. The area I fly over is probably 3 football fields long (900 meter field). Depending on occasional parked cars up to a football field wide (50 meters). No trees or wires, even have a sign nearby that has flags so you can see wind velocity and direction.

Check out my new video post, it's a camera on the back of my 500 but it shows the place I fly at.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
Ken ... are you sure you have enough Gain? sounds like your helis is doing the normal thing it does in Rate mode .... weather cocking down the the direction of heli attitude or the wind!

what gain settings are you set at? .... Spektrum radio ??

- - - Updated - - -

you should be setting it up so it wags its tail ... then landing and backing off 3 - 5 points until it stops.

wolfman76

I use to when i first started driving for FedEx i got trained driving in Chesterton.. That's sounds good would love love to come fly with you just have to talk the mrs into it maybe when i get the p-51 finished we can try to maiden it there still have quite a bit to finish on it.. My lady is disabled so she doesn't like the idea of just sitting there.. I told her i wanted to try to go to IRCHAA this year Derek is planning on going to. We will have to see what we can work out...

Ken Jackson

I am going this year with the guy who got me started in helicopters. I was supposed to go last year but was in Vegas and didn't make it back in time.

Ken

wolfman76

Cool poof i can go i will let you know maybe we can meet up with Derek when get there if i am able to go that is

Top Bottom