Keep The Camera, Or Take It Back??? Need Your Help! XSi vs T5i

Tony

Staff member
Okay everyone, I need your help here. for the past almost two weeks. I have been playing with this T5i camera. Or D700 as it's otherwise known as. And let me tell you, the camera takes fantastic pictures. But, before we get into that, let me give you a little background on why I purchased it.

For over 3 years now, I have always carried two cameras with me. My XSi that I take stills with and my HF R10 that I use to shoot video with. The R10 is very light, very small and I can put it in my pocket. It's great. And the video quality is not bad either. But, I had to carry two cameras with me. So I started looking at the camera that are DSLR AND have a video camera capability.

I started out with the SL1, the worlds smallest DSLR. And it was great. But you HAD to have a monitor in order to shoot video by yourself. Or just take the chance that you are not in focus or out of frame. So after a day, I took that camera back. I ended up coming home with the T5i with the 18/55mm lense. Why did I get one with a lense when I already had an 18/55 lense here from my XSi? Because this one can do constant focus, adn you won't hear it on the video! That was a HUGE plus for me.

As I stated above, the T5i takes AMAZING photos! The lighting is perfect, you can control everything as you can on any DSLR, and it's a breeze for me to work it. The video quality I'm still trying to work in. I think I have the wrong color lights in my studio and everything is yellowish and bleached out, or too much white balance and I can't get it to turn down without looking like crap. But I know I can get there.

Here is the biggest cons that I have found so far. I only have one battery for this thing. Yeah, so... I year ya lmao. Well, my R10 I can plug the power cable in and run it on AC power for as long as I need it. But the T5i, MUST use the battery. There is no charge port. So once the battery is drained, I'm waiting two hours to shoot any more video. Which SUCKS!!!

Second con. I can record continuously with my R10 until my card is full (64GB, over 8 hours of 1080P). With the T5i, I can only record up to 30 minutes, then it shuts off. Yup, that sucks! Just yesterday, I shot a 3 hour video on the 150 while I was doing all of that work to it and having all of those issues. If I would have used the T5i, I would have forgot to turn it on a few times. And again, that would have sucked!

Third con. This thing is the size of a DSLR! It's huge and heavy. Which is why I purchased a much more stable and stronger tripod. I can't put it in my pocket and have to either have it around my neck, or in my bag with the other lenses I have.

So what are the pro's?

With the 18/55 lense, I can get a wider field of view. MUCH wider. I can put the camera closer to me and this will cause the sound to be much better.

Another Pro. Speaking of the mic, I can put a shotgun mic on this thing and get amazing sound. And, it has a built in mount that mounts to the external flash mount. So upgrading the sound is quick and easy. And yes, I can even put wireless mic's on this one as I can my R10.

The focus is pretty fast, but I think my R10 is faster. But, this started out as a DSLR, not a video camera. In picture mode, this thing adjusts and focuses, with flash, over twice as fast as my XSi. And the frames per second is almost double!

It has a flip out touch screen that is pretty easy to work with. This means, I can shoot videos while holding the camera and I can still see the monitor and where I am in the picture.

So I need help on if I should keep this and just purchase more batteries, or if I should just take it back and use what I have... Or even get another camera. I'm looking for better video quality is what I"m doing. Yeah, the R10 is great, but it's old. Tech has come up in the last 5 years, and you guys should have the best quality videos there are.

So help me out. Should I take the T5i back, or keep it?

Tony

Staff member
Here are two comparison shots. Both done in Auto mode with flash. I have not retouched these photos. All I did was reduce their size so they are the same size (by the way, the XSi is 12.2MP and the T5i is 18MP).

IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_6183.JPG

Hey Tony, that T5i has to go bro... There's nothing worse that a battery operated camera, regardless of the spec, and to only record for 30 minutes at a time put the final decision for me.. I'm no photographer, but I do have a few cameras, I did have a canon D450, huge, cumbersome, needed a large bag to carry lenses etc...

Get rid of it, buy a decent heli man...lol

That's my few cents worth...

pvolcko

Your video quality was fine. YouTube squashes the hell out of it anyway. Your audio needed help. Get a lav mic to wire yourself up and either plug it into the existing camera or get a decent recorder to take care of the audio recording duties.

RandyDSok

I'd base my decision on what your primary reason for upgrading to the T5i was... video or still picture quality.

It obviously doesn't cut it for the video needs that you have... the picture quality is much much better though.

I guess the question that wasn't mentioned is... Is there a DSLR in the same or close enough price range that address's the needs you have for video and also is as good with still shots?

My own uses for a DSLR are all based on the quality of the still pics... so for me I'd pick the T5i hands down. I think your needs as you described, mean that the video side is almost equally important and if so... I'd look for another camera.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Tony, that T5i has to go bro... There's nothing worse that a battery operated camera, regardless of the spec, and to only record for 30 minutes at a time put the final decision for me.. I'm no photographer, but I do have a few cameras, I did have a canon D450, huge, cumbersome, needed a large bag to carry lenses etc...

Get rid of it, buy a decent heli man...lol

That's my few cents worth...

I wish I could purchase a new heli bro lmao. But, I will have to use this money on another camera. But I hear ya and it's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your reply.

Your video quality was fine. YouTube squashes the hell out of it anyway. Your audio needed help. Get a lav mic to wire yourself up and either plug it into the existing camera or get a decent recorder to take care of the audio recording duties.

Yup, my audio needs a lot of help, but it has gotten me by. I will see what I can do to either wire up a wireless mic or find one that has a REALLY long wire on it lmao. Thanks for your input.

I'd base my decision on what your primary reason for upgrading to the T5i was... video or still picture quality.

It obviously doesn't cut it for the video needs that you have... the picture quality is much much better though.

I guess the question that wasn't mentioned is... Is there a DSLR in the same or close enough price range that address's the needs you have for video and also is as good with still shots?

My own uses for a DSLR are all based on the quality of the still pics... so for me I'd pick the T5i hands down. I think your needs as you described, mean that the video side is almost equally important and if so... I'd look for another camera.

Your right bro. The whole reason I got the T5i was to go from two cameras always with me, down to one. But, as mentioned above, my main needs are cumbersome with this camera. Yes, I LOVE the image quality with teh stills, but if the video doesn't do it, then it has to go. Maybe I will pick up another video camera and just keep the XSi.

Again, that was on auto. I can get MUCH better still photos with teh XSi. Just have to switch it to manual mode. Well, guess I'm heading to the store.

wolfman76

i would have to agree with rdsok on the get another camera still photos are great but you want equal quality in videos as photos and either ability of longer batery life or ac option i am sure there is a camera out there that meet all these needs tony now for the hunt to begin... i will keep my eyes open for sumthin that meets your requirements and if i come across anything i will let you know for sure...

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying out a new camcorder. IT's the Sony HDR-PJ540. Looked really good in the store, but having some issues with it here at the house. Such as, IT WON'T TURN ON!!! I'm about to just give up and stick with what I have...

Admiral

Hi Tony, the very fact that you have this thread tells me the T5i has to go back, you are not happy with several things that you can't change. I'm sure there is something out there that will match you needs you just have to keep looking.

Tony

Staff member
The Sony is going back. $700 for a damn camera, and the supplied charging cable is USB! And it won't sustain the charge with the camera on. AND!!! it's another $50 for the DC cable! AND!!! my memory card wont' work in it so I would have to drop another bill on another 64GB card. Yeah, that's just not going ot happen. I will just stick with what i have... I give up.

Would it be a stupid suggestion to get the gopro black edition, it's picture and video quality is superb...loads of features too, fast wifi, so you can see remotely what your shooting..

RandyDSok

Don't rush into it... you know what you are looking for now so research it a bit more before you decide... they will be there when you ready and have found what you want.

Tony

Staff member
Would it be a stupid suggestion to get the gopro black edition, it's picture and video quality is superb...loads of features too, fast wifi, so you can see remotely what your shooting..

GoPro is not the camera for what I do. It doesn't have a flip out screen so I can't see what I'm doing if I'm in front of the camera. And, you can't (as far as I know) adjust attenuation, white ballance, aperture and so on.

Don't rush into it... you know what you are looking for now so research it a bit more before you decide... they will be there when you ready and have found what you want.

That is exactly what I"m going to do. I just took the Sony back. Should have known not to go with Sony. They are all about the upselling and not including everything that you need with the products that you purchase. Time to start the hunt.

I will be ordering a wireless mic though. Need to get better audio. What sucks is that Sony had 5.1 surround lol. Oh well.

No it doesn't have a screen but is pretty good using your phone/iPad as the screen via wifi connection.. You can adjust white balance remotely too, but shutter fixed at f2.8.. Oh well worth the suggestion...

Tony

Staff member
Trying to find a good Lavalier Microphone, and I'm either finding good ones with 2.4Ghz or the reviews are crap. ,

murankar

Staff member
Well I read the OP but not all the comments so if I repeat something sorry in advance.

First off when looking at a DSLR its main purpose is to shoot stills, but in today's market a lot of DSLRs can do both. Now the video in most (not all) DSLRs are not to far from great but thats the problem there not 100% perfect and they never will be because the money is in the stills side. Am I bashing video on a DSLR, No its just that sometimes you need to use the right tool for the job. If you were doing a lot of mixed media on location then yes one body two functions is a great way to go but if your not doing mixed media on location or do very little mixed media then maybe two cameras are the best option. When I say on location I am talking someplace that is not your home.

If all your doing is studio work the the best option is two half way decent cameras that are not to overly expensive. My reasoning is that if your not packing your gear all time to go shoot at the field or park then why compromise quality on one format. Personally if I went out on location 0-40% of the time I would invest in two cameras; one for video and one for stills. Now If I am going out 41%-100% of the time then I would either invest in a one camera solution or a three camera solution. Why three, well two would be your studio setup and one for the road giving you even more flexibility. In the end you need to figure out what your willing to deal with as far as how much equipment you have and how much quality loss is feasible.

As for why pic one looks under exposed on pic 2 looks over exposed even on full auto, well no 2 cameras will shoot the same on the exact same settings. The second image need a slightly fast shutter or a high number aperture. The faster shutter is dialed in with exposure compensation. Both images need some adjustment one needs a little more exposure while the other needs less. That should solve that issue.

White balance is a very tricky beast. I never, and I mean never use the white balance presets. Actually I lied I have used mine maybe 5 times or so. I did at the very begining of me owning my Nikon D3000. Since I learned how to manually set my white balance I use that method the most. All I use to set the white balance is a piece of white (it has to be white) toilet tissue or facial tissue. I open the aperture to around 4, wrap the tissue around the lens with my left hand, point and shoot. Now in order for you to use this technique you will need to go into the menu and find the white balance option and select manual or something that indicates that you what to use your own white balance. Here is a link to show you how to set your own white balance (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-create-a-custom-white-balance-setting-on-th.html). Since I am not a Canon guy I cant tell you if this will work with the video side of the camera.

Now that we have the white balance programed you will need to set the optimum conditions for a perfect (or close to perfect) WB. Your studio will need to be equipped with all the exact same light bulb. I like CFL lights at 5000 KV to 5500KV because this gives the closest light to sun light. Look back at my light box project. In order for me to make a decent studio with that light box I would need at least 3 more of those, at minimum 2 more.

I hope this helps you make a decision on what to do.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Just to remind you URI, I do shoot primarily in Manual mode. I know all about shutter speed, aperture and so on. I just did that picture example as an example of how the camera works for the beginners and why I think the T5i is far superior.

But it's all good. I just had to get that out there. Your post will do a lot of good to someone that comes across this thread and was wondering about the image settings and such. Oh, and yes, I'm using proper lighting in my studio setting. However, I"m using two LARGE bulbs and not 6 smaller bulbs per light. I do need more light though lmao.

murankar

Staff member
I knew you had some experience in the DSLR world, just did not know how deep your knowledge is/was. As for shooting in manual, I used to but now I do mostly aperture priority. I will switch over from time to time only after getting the numbers from AP. When I shoot HDR (which is rarely) I will use manual also.

Tony

Staff member
I would say I'm above average in knowledge on the DSLR's. I'm not an expert by any means, like with RC, but I can find my way around them lol.

Top Bottom