Setups Just wondering what transmitters you guys are using

Jetmech100

Hi guys. I've done alot of research and I'm ready to pull the trigger on some equipment. I have a SpeKtrum DX6i and a Sprektrum DX18QQ that is currently on ebay(way more of a transmitter than I need). I bought the DX18QQ on a whim which is not like me but I was so surprised the LHS had it I just pulled the trigger. I never even pulled the thing out and turned it on. Ya live and learn. Anyway, In all my research it seems that some things are more catered towards Futaba......Fat Shark head tracking and dragon link come to mind. Not that you can't get those things to work on other transmitters but it seems like it's plug and play with Futaba.

I was just wondering what you guys are using and any suggestions you might have. Thanks, Mike

callsign4223

Staff member
I was running a dx6i, but got a dx8 for christmas. I haven't even had a chance to transfer all my models to the DX8 yet.

murankar

Staff member
Well Futaba just came out with a new 8 CH Tx that is to die for, looks not so much. It has everything one needs in a TX and then some. I just saw the video of it on flight test /Test flight on youtube. This is a $450 radio so what else could you look at, well there is the DX8 which is a great radio and can not explain it since I do not own one but people on here can explain it since most have upgraded to it.

I use the FlySky/Turnigy TH9X which is a bargin transmitter. It's no Specktum/JR radio but it service it's purpose for what it is. If you have the technical know how and patiants you can mod the heck out it. Recently H.K. had released the newest of it's 9X line with the 9XR. It is a $50 radio and has been filled with the open source project for firmwear. They also included the port so you can flash your own version of firmwear. The TX does not come with a modual in the back and you will need to get that also. It uses the JR modual style plugs and can be fitted with moduals that will connect you to FASST, DSM2, DSMX and a few others. I would like to jump onths but it is not in stock at the moment, but you can add yourself to the backorder list and it will ship when your name is next in line. You will also need a 3S lipo for it and from what I have read it will take a 2200 mah pack. Here is the website for the Turnigy 9xr.

Jetmech100

Hmm...never thought of the Turnigy. Thanks murankar. I'll look into that. Looking down the road, If I ever get into UHF I wouldn't mind hacking into a $50 radio to get things working. Hacking into a $1000 radio is a different story. I'll have to give it some more thought and hope that my DX18QQ sells. I've looked at the DX8 but not sure if I want to go with Spektrum for FPV. The DX6i is a fantastic radio and all I fly on it are heli's and a few 40 size planks. Never had any problem with it so maybe I'll stick with it for a while. I'm just worried that i'll out fly the range of it (inadvertently of course) when I get into this new realm of flying. UHF, diversity, and FY31AP systems are a long way off. Thanks for your input. Mike

Lee

I have the DX8. If you have a DX18, i would bother with anything else. That is the radio that will last you a life time. If you want a radio to muck around with and not care about, the 9XR is the way to go as Matthias said. It also has duel trainer ports JR/Spektrum & Futaba, so head tracking is possible. You can fit what ever long range system you want with the modular style system on the back. Next year once i start working again, I think i'll be picking one up. For $50 who wouldn't.
Or you can buy my Futaba in the For Sale section :D

murankar

Staff member
Depending on which module you go with range should not be an issue unless you go FPV. If you decide on the 9XR then I would spend some cash on the module so you can get full spectrum transmitter module and receiver. Another upgrade that was done to the 9XR is that ball bearings were added to the gimbals. For the buck it is worth the money since it is open source.

Derek

I've got the DX6i. I've had it for almost 1 year and the scroll button is giving me fits. I'm gonna get in touch with Horizon Hobby to see what they'll charge to fix it. I'd like to get the DX8 because there are more programmable mixes than the DX6i. I'm also thinking about getting the FS-TH9X from HobbyPartz for my wife. She has recently expressed an interest in flying planes. We are building the RCH Trainer for her. I was looking at the Turnigy 9X, from Hobby King, for her but the Mode 2 Tx always seems to be on backorder. Hobby Parts seems to have their FS-TH9X in stock.

I have a buddy of mine that is gonna help me get into FPV in 2013 and he's been saying that I should just get an older 72mHz Tx from Ebay. I'm still learning.

Jetmech100

I have the DX8. If you have a DX18, i would bother with anything else. That is the radio that will last you a life time. If you want a radio to muck around with and not care about, the 9XR is the way to go as Matthias said. It also has duel trainer ports JR/Spektrum & Futaba, so head tracking is possible. You can fit what ever long range system you want with the modular style system on the back. Next year once i start working again, I think i'll be picking one up. For $50 who wouldn't.
Or you can buy my Futaba in the For Sale section :D

I'm getting rid of the DX18QQ. I have no need for a transmitter with that many options. Trying to get the FPV situation squared away without having to mess with a radio that advanced will be enough for me.

I'm starting to like the sound of the 9XR. I have heard too that a 72mHz system might be the way to go moutaindewdude76. But the ease of modules, the fact that it is open source and the price....hard to say no to that.

Lee

72Mhz is to prone to inteference for FPV. Most of the LRS are in the 400Mhz range like the Dragonlink at 433. Hobby king has a Long range Module just arrived on there site. I have no idea how good it is though.

Jetmech100

I don't think 72mHz would be that bad. After all, we've all flown with it in the past. I was just thinking 72mHz because you can find descent Futaba systems fairly inexpensive and modify them to 400mHz quite easily. But as you have all stated, there are many many good inexpensive options out there that will serve my needs quite well. Being at the beginning stages of FPV, I'm just trying to look down the road where I might be so I don't have to re-buy anything or have to modify something to the point that I'll have to go to engineering school to figure it out if that makes sense.

Derek

I completely understand what you are saying, Jetmech!!! I'm right there with you. I have several fields here that I can fly around and get use the FPV experience with no long distances. I'd probably say 1/8th mile, at most. However, I really don't want to have to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, over and over and over...just like what you are saying.

I am pretty naive when it comes to this FPV stuff, but I'm learning, lol

RandyDSok

In my book... the Futaba 8FG series is one of the best looking and feeling radios out there for the money... in addition, it is actually a 14ch transmitter so if you ever go with a giant scale model that requires multiple servos per control surface, you are already set. These have been out for several years now though they did recently ( within the last year ) update the firmware so it went from a 10ch radio to a 14 ch one... It also supports using SD cards so you can support a ton of models on it. You can get it radio only for as low as $370 US up to about $480 with a 7ch high speed receiver

Futaba also has recently released the 8J series recently for the budget minded ( around $280 ) ... of course it doesn't use the FASST 2.4... it uses FHSS 2.4 instead and less bells and whistles... lower quality gimbles than the 8FG series has but still comes with the good service that Futaba provides.

Considering that you already have some Spectrum equipment... The 8ch one the others mentioned is certainly worthy of your consideration. Going with one of these, you will at least get good customer service, something the budget radios can't/won't provide ( like the Turnigy as just one example ). I"m also with the others that mentioned keeping the 18ch... you may not use all of the features but you also will not grow out of it either. I can't compare the gimbles on the DX8 against the Futaba 8FG... I haven't got to play with Tony's radio and he is the only person I personally that has one local to me.

Don't forget to look at the JR line... I'm not familiar enough with them to point out their advantages, but I do know they are a step up in quality from the original Spectrums and are on par with Futaba's upper end radios.

Jetmech100

I've looked at the Futaba 8FG rdsok. Very tempting. I'm not really interested in the JR line. Not sure why. They just don't interest me. As for the DX18QQ, I've had it for just about a month and haven't pulled it out of the box. That tells me it was an impulse buy....so it's gone...hopefully:chuncky:. As far as not growing out of transmitters, I'm not sure about that. From what i've seen in the past few years vs. what i've seen in the past fifteen years of this hobby, things seem to be flying along at a blinding speed. not sure what's going to be next.....but I can't wait to see.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If I had the dx18qq I would be in heaven. All you need for head tracking to work with spectrum is the cable to plug it in. So I can't see why you would prefer futaba. A spectrum cable just plugs into the radio just like the futaba dose!

- - - Updated - - -

If I had the dx18qq I would be in heaven. All you need for head tracking to work with spectrum is the cable to plug it in. So I can't see why you would prefer futaba. A spectrum cable just plugs into the radio just like the futaba dose!

Tony

Staff member
DX18QQ, man... Custom dog tags, custom case, Hat and a LOT more. The cost alone keeps me from even looking at that Tx lol.

Jetmech100

I couldn't help it Tony, I swear the thing had a star-burst light coming from it when I walked in the hobby shop. It was just begging me to take it home. And now it just sit's there taking up space, laughing at me, taunting me. Kinda like being married. I know you can plug the head tracker into Breeze400 but with Futaba, if I'm not mistaken, you can plug the head tracker in and plug an LRS system in without any mods. I think I'm right on that. I think you can do that for some other controllers to. With the DX18, from what I've read, you have to crack the case open and do some wiring for your LRS. Not that that is hard to do but I'm pretty sure the would void any warranty you had. Does that sound right to every? Again, I'm still new at this so I don't want to throw out any wrong info.

Tony

Staff member
Usually opening the case wont' void the warranty. On the DX6i, you have to in order to adjust the sticks. But, the DX7s, DX8 and higher models, you can adjust them from the outside. So I"m not sure on those. But I do know that Futaba is at the top of the game with FPV. Above JR/Spektrum anyway. I myself love Spektrum and will use them until someone lets me try another Tx that I really like. So far, my DX8 has been able to do everything I want it to do.

Top Bottom