500 Just distroyed my Zeal blades...:-(

trainrider06

I am sooooo pissed!
It's my fault too! Heli flying great as usual, all of the sudden made a popping noise, pitched tail down hard, tried to right it and it started to go all over the place!
Hit throttle hold....smack!
After inspecting it the screw for my elevator servo linkage
Was hanging off the servo arm...I guess it had backed out...and I didn't notice...
I am so pissed at myself!!!!!
image.jpg

image.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Sorry man, pre flights pre flights pre flights. Now the club of destroyed Zeal's grows by one. Mine are trashed because I did a piro when I should not have.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

trainrider06

Well looks like I may have a servo on the left that took some damage seems a bit hitchy, but have a rebuild kit on hand.
Have a carbon fiber boom couple spare TT's on hand also. Broke a lower canopy mount looks like but didn't get a scratch on my canopy! I just bought that canopy about 2 months ago had it specially designed...so glad about that LOL.
Main gear sustained no damage, nor does anything else look to be screwed up...I had it over grass but as it started going outta control it moved over to the street, tried to get it level as possible before hitting TH...but the tail landed first....:(
Yes I shoulda known better Murankar, I was a Crew Chief on the ol F-4E's in the AF and it was drilled into my head on preflights postflights about look look look and look again!!! I just grabbed it off the wall and powered it up because I was just gonna see how the Zeals felt....I almost landed minutes before, but that one last time I thought i'd run her down the street again.....shoulda landed! i am just so pissed at myself.....it was so pretty with those matching red blades and that red canopy! Grrrrr!!!!!
Well the good news or good in this is I at least have 90% of the parts to fix, and this gives me a reason to set it up on the DX8 now.
Have 2 other choppers that were half way set up though on the DX8 till my battery on the radio died, had to buy a charger and have been charging that for 2 days now...should be about there, the light is blinking on it finally.
So the DFC 500 will be 3rd in line for maintenance and setup now...

Admiral

Sorry to read that Rodney, don't know how many time I've been about to land and decided to do one last circuit only to crash. Really ruins your day.

How did you like the Zeal blades before the crash?

trainrider06

Hi Keith! Yeah its a bummer, I am beating myself up pretty good on this one, because it was my favorite heli....
The Zeal's seemed pretty nice, although I didn't really fly it but a total of 3 times back and forth down the street, was looking forward to taking it to the club and airing it out a bit and see how well it banked, but so far they were pretty nice feeling.
Hehe yeah that one last run....many of a heli/plane/car/bike probably destroyed over that one....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Suckage bro.

My own dumbass fault! You can bet I'll be a lot more critical on my preflight from now on though! LOL

Tony

Staff member
It's things like this that got me to do my preflight checks. I always though, my stuff is tight and is not going to come off. Then it does. Just one of those little "expensive" lessons in this wonderful hobby lol. Get it back in the air soon bro!

trainrider06

It's things like this that got me to do my preflight checks. I always though, my stuff is tight and is not going to come off. Then it does. Just one of those little "expensive" lessons in this wonderful hobby lol. Get it back in the air soon bro!

i knew better! but yeah she'll be back up!

Lee

Such a bummer, when a 5 cent screw ruins your day :(
I have had that a few of times in the past. On my old 250, 450 and 600.
Luckily the 600 I managed to auto down with no damage.
There is a video of that on my youtube channel somewhere.

trainrider06

i'll have to check that out Lee, or maybe not....I might get heli crash syndrome, have nightmares, get the shakes, be unruly
at work and at home. start drinking, and just in general let my life go down the crapper...I think I may already need counseling just the vision of that thing going tail into the ground makes me get a twitch in my eye! :wink:

Ahh just watched it....great job there on the sticks and quick reaction! That blade fart of death was the same sound mine made....LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom