Just Changing Plugs...

Tony

Staff member
OKay, so the picture may be a "little" extreme, but it's damn close. On my Camaro (Z28), I have Hooker Super Comp headers and on the drivers side, I have to remove the intermediate shaft on the steering to change those plugs. On the passenger side I have to remove the alternator and starter to change those plugs. And Lee, you can open the hood (bonnet), but you are only going to reach 3 of the plugs from the top. The rest have to be done from the bottom lmao. Camaros are such a pain in the ass to change plugs on. And if you change wires, you have to remove the power steering pump lmao. Don't get me started on the optispark...

Geez and I thought working on British cars where they used to intentionally put things in difficult places was hard!!
(Jags were very annoying)
Mind Land Rover though is a dream to work on!!! Far easier than my old Toyota 4WD!!

Tony

Staff member
I worked on 1 Jag, and I said never again. They look like they have room until you need to work on them. This one had the V12 as well. I would rather work on my camaro lmao. swapping the A4 in my car for the M6 was a fun little challenge. thankfully that is over, mostly.

hahaha sweet!!
To change the starer motor in the old Toyota was like delivery a baby! In fact that was how it was described to pull it out!!
Was down low and a pain in the preverbial to pull out

Tony

Staff member
I know the feeling all too well lmao. I miss being a mechanic (professionally) but when I think about this stuff, I get over it quite quickly lol.

Hahaha I enjoy doing the odd tinkering, until i get into the difficult stuff, and the really messy stuff....
What I said earlier about British cars, just changing the oil filter and oil in the Disco is a messy process... Pull the filter off not problems, and not that hard to get to, residual oil then bounces of two different parts of the steering system, making it hard to catch, then there is the sump which when emptying lands straight onto the anti roll bar and agin splashes oil everywhere! So unless you have a can of degreaser laying around, and clean everything as you go, you end up covered in oil!!
An of course being a land rover, it doesn't have an oil leak, it just marks it's territory

Stambo

If it was that much trouble to change plugs in my vehicle I would fit platinum ones. Cost more but good for 100km or 60k miles.

I used to have the platinum plugs in my old mazdaspeed.... Not sure they really made a difference.... but it was easy to change the plugs on that..... well once I pulled the intercooler off it was easy enough...
Have to look at replacing the glows plugs in the rover

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately, Platinum plugs, although good, are not that great when you are spraying. That is why I decided to run NGK TR55's in my car.

murankar

Staff member
That pic is true with almost any v6 or bigger engine in the U.S. My recently purchased van is a v6 and the back three plugs and valve cover are going to be a pain in the ass to get out and off. My other all day repair is going to be the belt. This motor is going to be one I will need some skillz to work on.

Top Bottom