1. Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  3. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  4. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

It Ain't Rc But It Sure Is Fun.

Discussion in 'RC-Help Lounge' started by bigone5500, Jan 6, 2019.

< Your Thoughts On Product Reviews | Woke Up To This Crap This Morning.... >
  1. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't plan to start doing rockets again... if I did, I'd probably just go with the MM and be done with that part of it.

Back in the day, I did make my own launch pad and launch controller. The rod I used would have been a 3/32" 3" steel welding rod ( in fact, I still have some of that, some 1/16" and even some flux coated 3/32" brass rod ). I did buy the rocket kits instead of sourcing parts, they weren't expensive and you had everything needed. I'd also lay odds that I used Titebond since that's what my Dad and I used for building RC planes with and always had a tube around ( even now I've got some in the back room somewhere ).

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Geena can get you some nice Ti rod to use :biggrin1:

3. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Is that anything like Ti stick.... LMAO

4. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    They are called rods lmao.

5. bigone5500

bigone5500 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Sure it's not just really thick wire Tony?

6. bigone5500

Blog Posts:
    I am still considering building this rocket. I have gone ahead and modeled it in RockSim 9. <---awesome program!! Here is a 3d image, although just in two colors, is representative of the final product. I think the only thing I will have to source is the nosecone. I have everything else I'm sure and will build from scratch what I don't have.

If I end up building this one, I will get a launch video of it and post it to youtube.

Cobra 1500.jpg

7. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I suppose that two colors... is still twice what I used on the one we've discussed... I only used black. I believe I'd planned some to mask off some white trim but just hadn't decided on the design yet.

Just make sure you've secured your rod better than I did on that last flight... My stomach turned right after I pressed the switch and the rod leaned over right at that time... While it was gut wrenching to watch, it was also strangely satisfying as it took off at that acute angle and arced over into that small grove of trees.

8. bigone5500

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya on the rod. I built a launch pad from 1" pvc pipe with a 12" Dia. x 1/8" thick stainless blast deflector. It will accept from 1/8 to 1/4" rods, of which I made mine from stainless and cut them to 6' lengths. You have to be careful on the smaller diameter o es as they can have rod whip which can result in the rocket going horizontal despite the rod being vertical.

9. bigone5500

Blog Posts:
    I thought I'd post this in addendum. This is my favorite rocket. It's big (7.5" diameter), short, and can handle large motors. The kit is by a company called LOC Precision and is called the Warlock. It uses a 60" parachute and motor ejection for recovery along with a 20' x 1/2" tubular kevlar shock cord.

< Your Thoughts On Product Reviews | Woke Up To This Crap This Morning.... >