1. Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  3. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  4. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

It Ain't Rc But It Sure Is Fun.

Discussion in 'RC-Help Lounge' started by bigone5500, Jan 6, 2019.

< Your Thoughts On Product Reviews | Woke Up To This Crap This Morning.... >
  1. bigone5500

bigone5500 Well-Known Member

Thought about building this little rocket and putting it in the air. It's been many years since I launched one.

15467912981503424960574473383254.jpg

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Ah, and the waiting game for a no wind day is on lol.

3. bigone5500

If the area is large enough you can launch the small models in light wind ~5mph. You have to angle the launch pad to accommodate.

4. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Low wind days around here are rare to say the least. Still I do remember having a lot of fun with rockets back in the day. My favorite one was about 6' tall with a real simple design but I only flew it a few times before I had a launch pad failure that ended up letting it take off at about at 45° into a small grove of trees. The size made it easy to see all the way up to apogee and back. During takeoff, it'd start relatively slow which increased it's launch realism.

5. bigone5500

Do you mean, The Mean Machine?

6. Tony

How did we go from talking about rockets to football?...

7. bigone5500

@Tony you lost me at football. LOL! I have no idea what that means.

I have uploaded a few videos to my channel on youtube if anyone is interested in watching some rocketry videos.

Jared's channel 'o fun!

8. Tony

Mean Machine?

crew.jpg

9. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

No... the one I had wasn't 80" tall ( per their website ) although the design is similar. I'd already looked through their website to see if they still carried it but it was unlikely since it'd have been back in the mid to late '70's when I had mine.

10. bigone5500

Was it an Estes model or another company?

11. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

It was an Estes.... just can't remember the name from that long ago

12. Tony

Suffering from that CRS again, huh? lmao

13. bigone5500

The Mean Machine is 79" tall... I can't dins another close to that. I will do some research. It has me wondering what it could have been.

14. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's an ongoing issue... LMAO

79" ... 80" ... I round when it doesn't matter. When I mentioned the size of mine, it was an approx size since it wasn't taller than I was ( or much if any ) and I was about 5' 10" back then ( I've gotten a little shorter since I got old :D ) so if you are going to look, look in the 5' to 6' range

15. bigone5500

You say it was around '75 so I'll look about 2 years before and after.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  16. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

I'd suggest '76 and later but not much later than '80 or so, I already had a car but I can't recall if it was my Chevelle ( my first car ) or my Cutlass Supreme ( my 2nd ). Of course it really doesn't matter much at this point either since it isn't still available. It wasn't an unusual one other than the height of it perhaps and it certainly wasn't a fancy design, just a single stage tube rocket.

17. bigone5500

I am thinking you had the cobra 1500.

Screenshot_20190107-165100_Drive.jpg

18. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Interesting listed specs between the MM and the Cobra 1500...

The MM lists just a D sized engine here ( the current one lists D and E sizes but is also listed as heavier then the older version shown above ), the Cobra lists A, B and C sizes. The MM is almost twice the weight despite it being only just over a 1 longer ( and a bit wider ).

The old MM is stated to go almost 800' ... the new version is stated to go @ 700' which is what the above older Cobra is listed as being able to reach also ( given the right engine of course ).

Since it was somewhere close to 40 years ago, I still don't recall the name of the model I had, it could well have been the Cobra 1500 since it'd be close in size to what I recall.

19. bigone5500

If you want to scratch build another for old time sake, you can download the plans for free. You will have to obtain the required materials such as nose cone, body tube, couplers, fin stock (balsa or basswood sheet), and recovery components (parachute, shock cord). Most items can be obtained from a craft store and the tubing can be found on many web sites. I like Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack personally. If you do decide to do this, I suggest getting some Titebond II which is very strong and sets up quickly. Basswood is my favorite fin material as it's very strong and needs little prep for painting. I also use mat board for centering rings. It is very strong and cuts easily. An easy alternative is to purchase a motor mount kit. It will come with everything you need such as motor tube, engine block, motor retainer (possibly), and centering rings. You have to specify what body tube it will go in so you get the right one. The 1500 looks like a great kit and I may just end up building one from scratch. The fact that it will launch on 18mm motors is very nice. You can get a low and slow flight or if you really get into it, you can purchase an 18mm reloadable motor and go even higher. Aerotech makes some really good hardware in that category.

Estes Cobra-1500 #1294

20. bigone5500

The new mean machine uses a plastic coupler in the center of the rocket for easy disassembly, transport, and storage. The new one lists the E motor as I don't think they had an E back then. The E motors are pretty expensive also due to hazmat fees and all. The 1500 will launch on motors ranging from A8-3 to C6-5.

I forgot to say also that you will need launch equipment and launch lugs for the rocket. Red coffee stirrers are great for that. To launch it you can simply use a length of 18ga wire and a 9v battery. I'd do it about 15 to 20' from the pad. Parachutes also can be easily made from space blankets and shroud lines can be made from upholstery thread.

< Your Thoughts On Product Reviews | Woke Up To This Crap This Morning.... >