General Is There A Basic Guide?

mrmack3772

I have been learning as much as I can on YouTube and the internet. I have learned quite a lot from RC-Help on YouTube, such as, how to match a motor, ESC, and battery, how to build a trainer from beginning to end, understanding Lipo batteries, etc.

I've learned how to safely charge and balance a battery, how to balance a prop, what a tip stall is, and many other things. I am trying to inform myself as much as possible.

But, the more I try to learn, the more I find I need to learn and the more stuff I need to acquire. I am afraid I am going to miss some basic things I need to know and there doesn't seem to be a guide on how to get into the sport.

This brings me to some questions that I hope is on this site somewhere. Is there a list of things or "must haves" a beginner should have or acquire when starting out? (I have a DX5e and I know I will need to upgrade later.) Is there a list of pitfalls to avoid when getting into the sport? What types of transmitters and receivers should one consider buying initially and avoid having to upgrade later? What things one may want to have on hand to repair your plane after a crash, etc. Is there a basic guide on getting started in RC planes.

Maybe I am asking too much. I hoping others have asked these questions and someone can point out where the answers may be in one of these forums. I just want to make good decisions and make sure I am on the right track. I know I will buy the Bixler 2, when it comes back into stock as my first plane.

Lee

Tony is planning a whole video series for the first timer for planes.
But to answer some of your queries
Radios. Spektrum and Futaba are the big name brands as far as radios go. There are others of course, but not near as popular as these two.
Which you go for will depend more on the feel of the radio in your hands. Best thing is to get to a local shop and hold them, see what fits. Can you reach the switches etc..
Most of the guys on here use Spektrum. The receivers tend to be cheaper than Futaba, so if you are fitting out a number of planes/Helis this can soon add up.
If you really want a radio that will last you long into the future, the main two choices are, DX8 from Spektrum, or Futaba 8FG. Unless you are splash with the cash, then you can go DX18 or Futaba 14SG.

For foam planes.
Your repair tool box should have Hot glue, foam safe superglue, foam safe contact adhesive. These will fix any number of accidental landings :D
A bag full of props. The Bixler being a pusher style set up, will not suffer so bad as the prop is protected in the rear.
I've put planes back together with hot glue so many times, they probably weighed double the original weight. But they still flew.

Hope this helps some.
Add any other questions. I and the others will happily answer.

Derek

Hey there, mrmack! I've been flying rc for about a year and a half, so I'm not "totally" new, but I can assure you that I surely don't know it all and I learn something new each time I come to this site or when I'm building something. There will be times when you think that you have the knowledge to tackle a certain aspect of the project that you are working on and then something will happen and you'll be confused again. That happens to me a lot! :) So...get on Youtube or come to this site...ask questions and most often I get a solution that will help me progress further and there it is...I've learned something new.

As far as the transmitters go, you said that you have the Dx5 right now. That's a good start! Since you have the Spektrum radio, I'm assuming that you have Spektrum Rx's. So now, you have a couple of options...the Dx6i, Dx7, or Dx8 (if you really wanna get nuts, the Dx18, but the $800 price tag will probably keep you from getting this radio. I surely don't have $800 for a new Tx, lol). I started with the Dx6i. For me, it has been a great radio. It has always worked, it's easy to setup and use, and I really liked it. Recently, I started wanting more options...so I bought the DX8 (it was $460 with tax and came with the telemetry module, an 8 channel Rx, and two 6 channel Rx's). So far, I absolutely love this radio. I've seen some people go from the Dx6i to the Dx7 and, of course, there is nothing wrong with that choice, either. I think Lee is right about choosing your next radio. Go to your local hobby shop and hold the different radios, there. Feel them in your hands. Reach for the switches. Does it feel comfortable or awkward?

As for a "crash kit"...just as Lee stated above....glue and spare props. Maybe some extra push rods, control horns, plugs...that kind of thing. Whatever you are taking to the flying field to fly, just think to yourself...What all is on my plane that could "potentially" need repaired or replaced? Then take a few extras of those parts with ya in a tool box of some sort.

So mrmack....welcome to the site! Welcome to the hobby! and good luck flying, crashing, and repairing! It's what we all do.

murankar

Staff member
Right tne big choice for you is going to be the radio setup you want. Don't rush it do the leg work before you buy. Your radio should be the one piece that will outlast your hanger if taken care of. Lee mentioned two radios to look at, but dont forget JR and HighTech Aurora 9. Gaba can attest to the JR brand and the Swedish guy on FLiteTest will attest to the Aurora 9.

Top Bottom