Image Upload Size Fixed

Tony

Staff member
I have had a few people complain about the image upload not completing and it saying the server couldn't handle the file size. I finally got some time today to check into this and found that my php.ini file only allowed 2MB file sizes. I had already raised that limit, but then we had the server hardware crash and everything went back to stock settings and I forgot all about that.

I have raised the file size to 5MB which should be fine for almost all photos taken with a phone. My iPhone 6S Plus takes anywhere from 2.2MB to 4.5MB photos. I know those that shoot with DSLR's and/or in RAW will be significantly larger, but this is mostly for those with mobile devices. Those that shoot with DSLR in RAW almost certainly have some kind of photo editor like PhotoScape.

If you guys see any other issues like this, please let me know.

RandyDSok

Those that shoot with DSLR in RAW almost certainly have some kind of photo editor like PhotoScape.

I almost always resize mine down to 1024 or 1280 on the longest side if I'm posting to a forum. That should keep them to say 650Mb at the most but typically smaller.

RandyDSok

Crap... I must have typed in the quoted area... it doesn't allow me to edit it in this forum area though

Tony

Staff member
It should allow you to edit... checking on that now.

For the time being though, I surely hope you meant 650KB and not MB lol.

Tony

Staff member
Oh yea, I have pretty strict rules set in the News & Announcement section. We were getting a lot of posts in here and I stopped the ability of posting new threads in this section and only have that turned on for the staff. I didn't realize that editing was also turned off. I have enabled editing but with a twist. There is a 30 minute time limit on editing posts. Let me know if you like this idea. I know you usually have your posts edited within about 5 minutes or less.

RandyDSok

Oh yea, I have pretty strict rules set in the News & Announcement section. We were getting a lot of posts in
It should allow you to edit... checking on that now.

For the time being though, I surely hope you meant 650KB and not MB lol.

Yeah... I may have meant Kb... hard to say when you've had a headache all day :D

Oh yea, I have pretty strict rules set in the News & Announcement section. We were getting a lot of posts in here and I stopped the ability of posting new threads in this section and only have that turned on for the staff. I didn't realize that editing was also turned off. I have enabled editing but with a twist. There is a 30 minute time limit on editing posts. Let me know if you like this idea. I know you usually have your posts edited within about 5 minutes or less.

The edit option is there now... I'm not sure why I can't see my typo's until after I hit the post button... LMAO

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure why I can't see my typo's until after I hit the post button... LMAO
Welcome to my world lol.

And if you are taking 650MB images, you are shooting them with something like the hubble space telescope lmao. Okay, so the hubble only takes an average of 54MB files according to the ONE thread I read lmao.

RandyDSok

I'm not sure what my largest RAW shot has been... just looked at a few and they were between 17-21Mb ( not Kb ) with Moon shots coming in at around 15Mb since they are mostly black

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I think the largest one that I have taken with my little 12.1mp camera is only like 16MB. I seriously need a new camera, preferably without 7 dead pixles lmao.

murankar

Staff member
I usually have to resize my images in light table my post software. All my images when I shoot are raw nef files. Usually around 16MB.

Top Bottom