FBL Gyro Ikon2 Govenor Page, Throttle Setting

Bgskyflyr

Hi I just watched Tony's video with the Ikon2 and the Goblin. On the govenor page I noticed he did not run the motor to set the min and max throttle settings. Is this nessesary to do with running the motor, it seemed the instructions required it or did I miss understand it? I am not planning on using the govenor feature at this time and just going through the esc only. Thanks

Matt

I have an Ikon2 too and I’m not using the governor settings either. If I’m not mistaken the ESC needs to have an rpm wire coming off of it to use the governor setting in any of the flybarless systems. Either that or a separate rpm sensor that plugs into the Ikon2 and ESC or motor.

Bgskyflyr

Thanks for the reply Matt, I am not using the govenor either but, do I need to go through the throttle calibration on page 12, Tony did in the video but he just verified the transmitter was showing 0 to 100% and had the battery disconnected. The Ikon2 instructions on panel 12 states its required, to do the throttle settings even if you dont use the govenor. I was wanting to know if I still need to run the motor to do this or just verify with the Tx. Hope this makes sense, thanks

murankar

Staff member
If all your doing is calibrating the throttle to the fbl; then , no the motor does not need to be on. All the fbl wants to see is what zero throttle and full throttle. Now you may need to make adjustments in the radio so the radio matches the software. Its similar to doing a castle esc.

Bgskyflyr

If all your doing is calibrating the throttle to the fbl; then , no the motor does not need to be on. All the fbl wants to see is what zero throttle and full throttle. Now you may need to make adjustments in the radio so the radio matches the software. Its similar to doing a castle esc.
Ok sounds good, thank you for the help, I set up an Ikon2 a couple of years ago, and panel 12 was different then, I could just skip it if I didn't use the govenor. Take care!

Tony

Staff member
I apologize for it taking so long to get to this thread.

I had to actually read the notes to the left of the page to know what it was you were referring to. I have been set in my ways since the first Ikon (which is a bad thing!) and I just kind of breezed right through it.

So to answer your question, let me first post the question (or statement as it is in the manual).

Ikon Step 12 said:
1.) With blades removed or with the motor disengaged from the main gear, drop the MIN endpoint to ensure the system arms with the TX at zero throttle, then increase it slowly until the motor begins to spin, then back off 3-5 points
2.) Raise the throttle on the TX to 100% and slowly increase the MAX endpoint value until there is no longer any further increase in the motors RPM visible in the "Current main rotor" field at the bottom of this page. On some ESC, when the maximum output is reached, the on board LED will turn off

What they are wanting you to do is manually set the endpoints that you are adjusting to suit the ESC. I do this a little differently. In my case, I set everything where it is at 0 and 100 on the slider (or -100 to 100 on some) that way I know the Ikon is seeing full throws. Once that is done, if I need to do it, I will manually calibrate the ESC through the ESC itself to set the endpoints. This makes 100% sure you are getting absolute min and max out of the ESC.

One caveat though is that I do this on step 5 of the setup process. The only thing I do in step 12 is set my rpm's for the governor if I'm going to use it. Otherwise I just leave everything in that menu alone. The throttle in menu 5 is going to be the same as in menu 12 and by adjusting menu 12 (I'm assuming here as I have not actually tried this, but it makes sense lol), if you change the high and low points in menu 12, you are going to throw off menu 5. I wish I had time to actually test this, and I WILL be testing this in the future when I do have time, I just don't have a lot of it at this very moment.

I do hope this helps explain why I didn't follow their exact procedure. I just find manually calibrating the ESC to the controller is faster and more accurate (and safer) than the way they do it.

Bgskyflyr

Thanks again Tony, I do the same thing with my new ESC's I calibrate the min and max throttle points on a separate Rx before installing in my heli with my Ikon/Brain 2. It makes sence to me what you said regarding panel 5 and 12, so I will try it out and let you know how it goes, posting here, it may be awhile though its been really windy 25mph gusts, and may be snowing again here in Montana. Take care!!

Top Bottom