FBL Gyro IKON Self Level in Advance Program

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
This is how I set mine up with the DX7s. please note that these settings pertain to my GOBLIN setup, but can be used as your base. I am still working on the consistency of switching between normal and SL. Its just time consuming and when I am at the field all I want to do is fly and not test..lol can you blame me. Bench test and switch between your banks and see how your heli reacts and the time it takes to react.

IKON SL with DX7s - YouTube

Westy

LEGEND
Thanks Island!!!

is that just sitting on the skids? or did you set the ICON up on level and then set level ... and then do the the SL setup on skids only?

I did the settings you show in the advanced pages ......
I did the set up so that the servos stayed on the swash leveller when I hit the switch.

xokia

Thanks Island!!!

is that just sitting on the skids? or did you set the ICON up on level and then set level ... and then do the the SL setup on skids only?

I did the settings you show in the advanced pages ......
I did the set up so that the servos stayed on the swash leveller when I hit the switch.
Have you tried this in the air yet? I'd say call me if you were having difficulty but New Zealand though how many hour difference is that? Bench test to get it close with motor running preferably. Then final adjustments will need to be made in the air.

Westy

LEGEND
in your video.... are you sitting the heli on the skids and doing it? or levelling it properly?

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I got the Heli sitting on the skids on flat surface, its a must. its the only way to pre set and as XOKIA stated, a flight test will finalize where you need to make adjustments. with mine it pulls a little left when switched. that is good enough cause its just a self level and not to use to fly around. also note when in the field and you pretest make sure you are on a level surface. remember when setting up, your swash is already leveled by the IKON and that is the base that I use, really no need for the swash tool, but doesn't hurt to use it.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
because when I put my heli on the level .... I have to raise the skids at the front to get both axis level.

Should I just sit it on a nice level bench and hit SET LEVEL then. This is what is confusing the heck out of my ... I would have thought the IKON itsefl must be perfectly level as it is exactly perpendicular to the main shaft and the ground level.

Lee

My warp is tilting forwards and it didn't seem to make a difference to my SL. I haven't touched the Advanced menu to get it perfect, but its still pretty stable.

xokia

because when I put my heli on the level .... I have to raise the skids at the front to get both axis level.

Should I just sit it on a nice level bench and hit SET LEVEL then. This is what is confusing the heck out of my ... I would have thought the IKON itsefl must be perfectly level as it is exactly perpendicular to the main shaft and the ground level.
When you set level you are telling the ikon at which point is the helicopter level. The "level" setting is what the ikon is going to try to get back to in the air. So if sitting on your skids wouldn't produce a level hover then trimming the skids wouldn't hurt. It doesn't matter anyway because once you get in the air you trim Aileron an elevator until you produce a stable hover.

Westy

LEGEND
cool ... I will just load it full of batteries and sit it on my kitchen bench and set the level and see what happens .... not that keen on using it anymore..... more money than its worth the risk! so much for insurance policy ....

Cant claim insurance as they have already put a a clause saying not covered by any rotating machinery or toys! .... after the Van window smashing incident! Lol

xokia

cool ... I will just load it full of batteries and sit it on my kitchen bench and set the level and see what happens .... not that keen on using it anymore..... more money than its worth the risk! so much for insurance policy ....

Cant claim insurance as they have already put a a clause saying not covered by any rotating machinery or toys! .... after the Van window smashing incident! Lol

So have you tried using it in the air? You should be able to get the SL feature to work. Even on my vibrating 300x I could fly around in SL mode. For me it was just worthless as a rescue or bailout because SL was unstable. But if you are actively flying the helicopter SL should work fine. It should turn your heli into a coax heli with ease.

You really have to dial ALL vibrations out of the heli in order to use it as a rescue. Without any kind of vibration log like some of the other FBL controllers have you really are trying to find your way in the dark. Maybe they will add this in the future.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
yeah ... that is stupid aye .... thy actually analise the vibes .... and make correcting calulations, but do not run an output signal externally to analise..... oh ... and I have been doing some reading. Aparantly someone has made Apps and worked out how to blue tooth connect to the unit!

NOICE!!!!! .....

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Correct! there is an APP out there if you have one of them smart phones...They say the IKON is prone to vibs but I didn't chance that and I put the thicker foam. do not let one bad experience fool you, it is a great feature and has worked well twice for me and correct it is not a bailout but when I needed it from inverted and a dumb thumb it went back to the hover position and when it served its purpose I flick the switch back to normal for free flight.

pvolcko

Island, why not use the "set level" in the basic menus (on the ikon orientation screen I think)?

Westy, I set mine up by putting the heli on a table. Put a bubble level on the ikon and shimmed the heli skids and tail to get it level. Then put the level on the motor and top of the head, checking both pitch and roll axes for the same bubble positions as on the ikon. Mine were good, but if you find one off from the other, I'd level the heli to top of the head. This way the rotor disc is level to ground.

Then click the "set level" button in the basic menus as mentioned above. This set the elevator and aileron levels in the advanced menu for all three setups.

I checked the performance of it (no power) by switching to the autolevel enabled setup and back again several times. No movement in the swash. Then unshimmed the heli so it was sitting naturally on the table. Again switched back and forth to the autolevel setup setting, the swash moved in the direction I expected it would if it were attempting to get to that level position. While in self level I tilted the heli in the direction it would go based on the swash and it arrived near bubble level again. Then did some tests while I was holding the heli at extreme angles to see what the swash would do and then moved the heli as it would move, all good.

I never performed a motor-running bench test.

Tried it all out at the club field on Tuesday. Got it up to around 70 feet or so, hovered it and flipped to SL. No change. Took hands off sticks, it drifted a bit (didn't pay attention which direction, was more worried about macro scale issues given your and Xokia's experiences with this). Before switching off I tried flying with SL on. It worked, but it fought the inputs. Switched off, then set the heli on a forward flight path with some angle of attack, flipped on SL. It started to correct to a more level attitude, but it was slow, probably because I wasn't that far angled from level to start. Timer was beeping so brought it in, SL off.

As I was testing it came to me: SL may be useful as a bailout feature, I have yet to really test it personally in a severe flight attitude (next time!). However, since you can fly it with it on, I think it may be even more useful as a training aid for normal flight and hovering, with beginners. It will keep them from getting too far out of a safe flight envelope. You can control how much bank to allow with the advanced settings (thats bank in both elevator and ail axes). With the gain you can effectively tell it how hard to fight the stick inputs and thus how fast it will achieve and how aggressively it will maintain that hover position. As the new pilot progresses, you can dial back the gain and up the max bank settings. In many ways the feature turns a CP heli into a coaxial in terms of hover stability and affinity toward hover, or perhaps a FP.

xokia

Glad we hear one success story! I have a tip if you intend to use it as a rescue do not set the max angle. The reason for this if that ikon is to make the wrong correction and you try to adjust for it, it will limit your correction by that angle.

Myself I see the ikon SL as a training aid as you mentioned something you fly around with always enabled. It does a decent job turning a heli into a coaxial heli.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Whew! that was a long one. Glad you got her worked out and working properly. I do not fly my Heli with the SL engaged and never did so I wouldn't know how it feels..Give it a try and if all good maybe it can work for beginners. As for the IKON, it has payed off since I had to use it twice. I guess you can say it is sort of like a bailout. you just have to give input on pitch once you get it upright. It saved my Goblin twice and I am thankful the setup was working.

Top Bottom