FBL Gyro Ikon Self Level and Flying

Derek

Can a helicopter fly with the Self Level feature active for the whole flight? If so, what could I expect to see when doing this? Would the helicopter, then, fly just fine based on my stick inputs and then "Self Level" if I let go of the sticks?

Tony

Staff member
If you have it setup correctly, you will not want SL on all the time. Trust me, it's a very stable gyro.

stokke

Yes, it will self level as soon as you put it in SL mode. And yes, you are able to steer it while in SL. Aaand yes, it will return to level when letting go of the sticks while in SL mode.

You can set the range of throw during SL mode in the software. Meaning you can manipulate it a lot or a little based on your settings.

pvolcko

Yeah, if you fly with SL on it will act something like a coax heli. It will self stabilize when you return cyclic to center. It will prevent you from getting too much angle in either aileron or elevator directions (this is on e of the advanced items I mentioned in our discussion, you can change the maximum angle it will allow for bank). You can also change the SL gain which will control how aggressively it returns to hover when you center the stick, or how aggressively it will fight you as you try to bank from stable hover.

Need to be careful with both. Too small an angle setting and you'll find you do not have enough bank range to be able to stop in short distances while in FFF, or perhaps even hovering manuevers depending on how small the angle you set. Too high an angle setting and it will be an oddly restricted CP heli in term sof bank angle and you can find yourself inverted but unable to quite complete to full inverted and cause problems recovering. Too high a gain and it will likely oscillate around level and perhaps even overshoot and go into instability. Too low a gain and it will not self level at all and end up being just a bank angle restricted CP model. Perhaps useful as a last stage in training someone on CP helis, but also dangerous if you expect it to actually self level. Make adjustments from defaults slowly and test thoroughly before trusting it in any way.

Derek

mountaindewdude76; Derek maybe thats what I need to get me flying better !

Do some research on it, Boki!

Here is the website: ikonflybarless.com

I've seen the Ikon listed for $200-$225. Something else you might consider doing is just going ahead and downloading the software for the Ikon. Even if you don't get one right away. Download the software. Install it and then open it. There is a Demo Mode that you can go through each step of the Ikon setup and just see what it does. I can tell you this...it's amazing what all can be setup with this unit.

Tony

Staff member
Guys, I can NOT urge this ENOUGH!! DO NOT RELY ON SL!!!!!! Learn how to fly these things as they are and only use SL to get out of a bad situation. Remember, the SL feature on teh Ikon will NOT bring teh heli tail in, it will ONLY bring it upright if you have it setup correctly.

Derek

I have no intention of flying with the Self Level feature on, all the time. It was just a thought because my nephew was here and I was telling him about the Ikon and how much more advanced it is compared to anything else that I have. My nephew asked me if the Self Level could be active all the time while flying the helicopter. My nephew is 9. It was a generalized question and I didn't have the answer.

There are so many settings that can be changed to make the helicopter more or less aggressive.

Top Bottom