FBL Gyro ikon on helicopter with wobble

Derek

I have a friend that has the Ikon on a Trex 500. He says that he has an up and down wobble. Its very difficult to see from his videos. I see him adjusting the gain in his DX9. However, I'm not sure that this is the solution.

Can a wobble be adjusted from the tx or would that be a cyclic gain adjustment in the Ikon programming?

Tony

Staff member
If it's an aileron or elevator shake, then it would be a cyclic gain adjustment. If it's going up and down with collective (without input), then there is something sticking, or the blades are bad. Either way, adjusting the Tx will not help. Send him over here and we will help him out.

pvolcko

Not sure it matters, but in the beginner and next step up bank preset defaults there is some collective expo dialed into the preset defaults. On 3D and up it is set at 0 expo.

Other things besides cyclic gain it could be:
0) As Tony mentione, check for binding in the elevator linkage or other linkage and swash. Could be a servo binding too.
1) Blades torqued down too tight or too loose
2) Blades on the wrong way (tailing edge leading): the pitch would be right, but they would tend to grab the air above and below zero pitch and cause some odd flight behavior.
3) One blade is seriously out of zero causing a large blade tracking problem
4) Blades unbalanced
5) Blades damaged
6) Rotor or main gear jesus bolt loose. Or excessive axial play in the main shaft.
7) Swash damaged or swash bearing loose.

This is all assuming your etalking a collective up/down wobble as opposed to an elevator wobble, which would be cyclic gain or perhaps 1, 3, 4, or 5.

Lee

First thing,
Does he have enough head speed?
Are all the mechanics running smoothly.
Best thing is as Tony said,
Get him on here with his video so we can see better.

Derek

Thanks guys! However, getting him to the forum is probably going to be impossible. He's not real good at taking instruction, even after asking for help. I was just asking about his situation for my own knowledge base.

Lee

Well if its a head wobble and not a pitch change, then he needs to work on the gains.
If its a fast wag, then he needs to reduce the head gain. If its a slow wobble, then he may need to increase the gain to stabilise it.
If after a certain manoeuvre it makes a slight shimmy before settling down, then he needs to add I gain.
But there are so many things it could be, without being able to diagnose with no details.
So he can stick with his wobble, or get us a video so we can help him :D
Can you not post his video for him?

Top Bottom