FBL Gyro iKON - Install Bluetooth Module

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
It was a good weekend! I upgraded my iPhone to the Samsung 5 and now I can adjust my Goblin's iKON with my phone!!! Yay! I got everything paired up with my phone last night and I was just wondering if any of you guys leave it hooked up???

My concern is that the module remains turned on and transmitting during flight.

danhampson

I leave the Bluetooth on the Heli but you have to make sure you close the app before flying. Long press the home button and it will show a list of apps swipe the brain app off the screen to fully close it. The light on the bluetooth would flash to show its not connected

Last edited:

Lee

Hoping to have an Android phone in the next few weeks. Then I'll be setting up my blue tooth as well :)

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I leave the Bluetooth on the Heli but you have to make sure you close the app before flying. Long press the home button and it will show a list of apps swipe the brain app off the screen to fully close it. The light on the bluetooth would flash to show its not connected

Thanks, Dan. Have you had any issues with the bluetooth module affecting the Rx and/or Tx signal?

Hoping to have an Android phone in the next few weeks. Then I'll be setting up my blue tooth as well :)

It's the way to go. It appeears you can't get to the advanceed menus or I just haven't found out how.

danhampson

No ive not had any problems at all with the Bluetooth it makes tuning at the field a breeze.

The only thing is to ensure the app has closed and the light on the Bluetooth is blinking before flight.

To get into the advanced menu open the app and connect then press the settings button (left of the home button on Samsung) a popup will appear, select advance and tune to your hearts content.

Last edited:

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Does it matter if it is mounted near the FBL/Rx and/or satellite receivers? I was thinking of mounting it with double sided tape underneath the plate that the iKON is mounted on.

Cool! I will give that a try on my phone when I get home!

murankar

Staff member
On my Gaui I have the zyx-s blue tooth mounted right behind the gyro on the boom with Velcro. That will allow me to remove the module as needed and keeps it in a good open area. I wanted to reduce the interference from the frames. Its possible to have interference just from the electrics.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

danhampson

Mine was mounted with some double sided foam tape to stop vibes then Velcro around frame and Bluetooth and a cable tie to secure.
I've not had any problems with interference at all, I've been attached to the frame for about 6 months.

murankar

Staff member
I just started with the whole blue tooth thing on helis and wanted to play safe. Im not sure what can interfere with that kind of signal.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
That's my whole hesitation. Now I'm giving thought to the direction I mount the module. I know the bluetooth signal has a limit as far as its reach but that is all I know about it.

Then again, if I'm all that concerned I can plug it in program the FBL and then unplug it to fly.....this strategy sort of defeats the purpose of having it though.

murankar

Staff member
I think distance is 300 ft of range. I have mine inline with the boom so the signal comes straight back to the rear of the heli.

danhampson

if the module is mounted within the frame you can struggle to find a spot that it will connect, I made that mistake and could only connect when i was stood to the port side of the airframe, or if the heli was elevated, like on the bench.

I mounted it in the frame so that it wasnt destroyed when i put it in, just because its a HV bluetooth module and cost quite a bit for what it is, but it will run on a HV setup. I think its rated to 26V, its around that mark so i will have no problems running it @ 8V with HV servos ect.

Last edited:

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I mounted it with double sided foam tape on the left frame under the canopy hold down. I mounted it facing toward the tail. It seems secure and the foam tape should soak up vibrations.....

Dirk

I mounted mine with double sided tape to the left cyclic servo. Works perfect. I never unplug my module. I just disable bluetooth on my Xperia Z1 when i'm not using it.

13 May 2014 006.jpg

13 May 2014 006.jpg

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks for the pic Dirk!

Hey, how do yo like those RJX's I put them on my Goblin but haven't flown them yet?

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I installed last night and everything is working. I found the adanced menus on my tablet but haven't been able to find them on my phone. The button on the left of the home button takes me to the task manager and I don't see the same options button on my phone that I see on the tablet. Still looking.......

20140515_063714_resized.jpg

20140515_063714_resized.jpg

Top Bottom