General iKON FBL Servo selection stage

totoheat

Hello Guys

After a few months working out of Country am back to put my Trex 550E PRO DFC on the air

I replace the 3GX due to bad reboot problem and I decide to go for New iKON FBL and I would need some help

am trying to understand this new system and seems not to complicated but still

am using a Align stock servos DS 615 for Cyclic and DS 655 Tail on 550 and at that stage on the software I have to choose in

Cyclic: between Digital servo 120 hz - High end Servo 200 hz

am not sure of this and I understand that wrong selection can kill servo :confused1:

same situation on the Tail servo menu I have to choose between: Digital 1520/200hz,760/333hz,760/560hz

am sure am going to come back with some other doubt :scratchchin:

Your help is very much appreciated

Angel

Derek

Same servo's I have on my 600 with Ikon. For the Cyclic servo's, you'll select the middle option (digital servo) and for the tail servo, you'll select the first option (digital servo). Both servos are the 1520μs standard band. I hope this helps.

totoheat

I understand

I have read about the ESC with iKON that needs calibration but am not sure I understand that

as I mention before I just to have 3GX and I have calibrated travel throttle on my ESC to not use the Governor am using a Talon 90 and DX8 my doubt is if I can use it that way or some needs to be redone

Also in step 4 Tx Setup where you correct full throw and center of sticks of Tx and Gain my question is if this has to be done on the Servo setup menu on my Tx?
but confuse me that step 6 Swashplate Setup menu there is a button in case you need to reverse a servo my doubt is what if a servo needs to be reverse? can I doit without affecting what I done in Servo setup on Tx?

I have centered my servos to 90 dgrss when I set 3GX before do you think I would need to redo it with iKON?

What about Switchs can I use them as I select for the 3GX
Gyro:Gear
Knob:Aux3

Fligth Mode:Fligth Mode
Hold:Hold

Sorry if I place to many questions but I really don't want to burn this unit before I flight

Angel

Lee

ESC calibration will depend on the ESC.
Castle has a specific sequence. There are many videos showing this online.
I will have to do a full set up video soon :)

For TX set up, you go into the servo menu on your DX8. Go to Travel for each of the stick movements in turn.
Adjust the travel endpoints until you get 0 to 100 in the Ikon software for Aileron, Elev, Rudder and Throttle.
And 45% Gain in Gyro.

In servo set up, you will have used the radio to reverse or leave normal to get the servos centred and moving the right way.
In Swash set up you are adjusting the mix signal to get all the servos moving in the same direction.
So if you raise the swash and two servos move up and one down, you reverse that servo in the Ikon software.

The servo 90º is the same. The mechanical centre of the servo once set, thats it. Then you just have to adjust the servo 90º in the FBL unit.

Switches can be set as you want. You just have to decide which switch you want your 3 Banks (flight modes) set to.

Last edited:

totoheat

In iKON menu Tx Setup refers to set swash plate in your Tx to basic one servo 90 mixing this confuse me as I have done my Tx model with 120 dgrs type Swash plate 3 Servos 120 dgrs

should I have to set my Tx as very frist option on DX8 Swash Type menu as "one servo normal"

Angel

totoheat

Hello Guys

Am now in middle of the configuration of the iKON but I got stuck I do bind and almost complete the complete step 4 as Rudder throw it does not move when full stick deflection panel only keep showing + 68 -68 all other channels did it perfect

I understand that panel needs to reach 100% in both positions but its not doing it here I have tried to move far off 100% and keeps same value above described

all help much appreciated

Angel

pvolcko

How are you trying to change the bar value from +/-68 to something higher? If you are using D/R, you need to set those to linear -100 to 100 "curves" and use the servo endpoints/travel settings in the Tx to make the adjustment.

If you are increasing servo travel setting for rudder channel well above 100% and still only getting the bar to move to 68%... Make sure D/R for rudder is set for....

Wait, there is an oddity with rudder channel setup on Spektrum radios. Unless they have fixed it in a recent update (been a year or so since I've gone through this). Basically, if the rudder channel is reversed, the servo travel setting mapping does not reverse with it. So if in normal (non-reversed) channel mode the min relates to full right stick and max relates to full left stick, then when the channel is reversed this relationship still still be in effect on the travel setup screen. All the other channels do the right thing. And this was on a DX9 when I did it, so it may be DX9 specific or perhaps DX8/9 specific.

The "fix" is to un-reverse the channel, do the servo travel setup in the ikon software to get the range correct (but the direction will be backwards) then reverse the channel to get it moving the correct direction. That or simply keep this goofyness in mind and move the stick and set the min/max travel settings for the opposing direction.

If all of that does not fix your issue: make sure D/R for rudder is -100% to 100% linear/diagonal curve. Make sure the rudder channel is assigned properly in the channel/rx setup screen for the model. Make sure there isn't any switch or other odd thing assigned to use the channel, such a gear switch or gyro switch.

Let us know if any of that helps. IF not, maybe make a quick video of your Tx settings and the ikon setup screen to show us what is happening.

totoheat

Paul

I was checking the Reverse menu in my DX8 looking for some reason to this happening and I Normal the Rudder channel and then the panel value start to increase as rest of the channels

but it end reversed !!!!

am not sure if this is correct but after I get panel readings 100% on Rudder I went to Servo Reverse menu and I Reverse it to match panel I mean when was not possible to increase value Rudder was in correct direction(Reverse) then I change it to Normal then am able to start increasing value to get 100%in panel and after i finish a Reverse the channel and now its direction is correct and panel reading as well

am also confuse due to values in travel menu as they increase as much 38% on each channel am not sure if this normal behavior

one of my concerns as well its the ESC calibration for iKON as before i was using a 3GX and the Throttle was calibrated for it and am not sure if this will affect it as i move the Throttle values to match the Panel

Before i was running this ESC (Talon 90) with Low 109 and High 110 values but now i have 127 and 128 as i match Panel this confuse me

hope this are not too many questions, your help is much appreciated

Angel

pvolcko

You will have to redo your ESC endpoint calibration. As you did, you first get the throttle channel going to +/-100 on the Ikon setup screen. Then later on in the setup process you will use Ikon setup params to control the end points for the ESC. There are a number of posts on here already explaining the process. I'll search for one and put up a link.

Sounds like you got the rudder issue worked out. And don't worry about the travel values you end up with, so long as you are getting 100 to 100 in the ikon setup screen for each given channel. MAke sure you have a linear 0-100 throttle curve setup, and a linear -100 to 100 pitch curve setup. Also linear -100 to 100 D/R curves for ail, ele, and rud. Then just set travel for each channel as necessary to get the ikon bars going 100 to 100 and reverse the channels that need reversing.

totoheat

Paul,thanks for that

understood ...your help much appreciated

I have set my ESC with Fixed end points not Gov but my concern is that step 7 on iKon softwere do I need to complete Governor procedure?

the other doubt is that am using a BEC do I need to arm the system true it or I need to put back red cable on ESC connector and arm using the main battery in order to calibrate the ESC end points ??

Angel

pvolcko

No you do not need to use either the ESC governor or the Ikon governor to do this endpoint setup. The throttle min/max sliders are what you need to use on that screen in the linked thread, the rest can be left alone.

If you are using a BEC then leave the throttle RED line disconnected. Power up the ikon with the BEC as you would normally. In order to do endpoint setup you will need to power up the ESC via the main battery pack. At a minimum remove all blades from the heli before doing any of this ESC endpoint setup or plugging in the main battery packs to the ESC. Ideally have the motor moved back from the main gear so it does not drive the rotor system at all. It is very easy to end up doing a spool up by accident, though it should not happen if you follow the instructions described in other threads.

totoheat

Paul

I have completed the setup for the iKON am only about to do ESC end points but after I end the software and remove power from iKON I connect it and startup but two lights are on one green and the other red is this normal?

also I noticed that movement on Cyclic its very slow also the return of linkages is like slow motion even you can hear servos like when you force the horn am not sure if this is normal any advice very much appreciated

I will continue with ESC and bench test for the adjust of gain in a turning test bench

Angel

pvolcko

All normal. Assuming you used a "beginner" setting for the initial bank setup it provides for very docile control on the cyclic. And the return to center being slow is perfectly normal too. This is why people say not to give any cyclic inputs while spinning up or before spinning up, this slow return to center can result in a tip over before take off. If you do give a cyclic input before or during spin up, hit throttle hold and wait 30-60 seconds for things to return to center.

Lights are normal.

As for setting tail gain, just go with the default. Personally I would not use a turning test bench for this purpose, but each to their own. Ikon default gain is usually pretty close to spot on as it is. Especially for hovering and sport flight. Purposes.

totoheat

Paul

I understand I will test in field and post a video soon we get a good weather

I do appreciate all help provided in this matter I learn many things and I feel very happy with my decision I made of getting the iKON :yahoo:

talk to you soon for sure :positive:

Angel

totoheat

Paul

I went into setting mode on iKON and change my bank mode to sport on all 3 and swash still does same motion very slow is this normal??

Throttle and Rudder are fast normal only swash keep doing slow

Angel

pvolcko

Slow return to level is normal no matter what the setting you use. Sport mode is still pretty docile. If you want to really see the difference you can set a bank for hardcore 3D or whatever the max is and you'll definitely see it move more quickly off level with full stick deflections.

But yes, beginner and sport will be relatively slow cyclic reactions on the bench. Fast, full stick deflection will make it move quicker, but it will still seem sluggish compared to a flybar setup. This isn't like on a flybar heli where the cyclic servos have a direct connection to the Rx and reflect the position of the cyclic stick instantly. The Ikon flybarless (any flybarless) system is trying to enforce rates of rotation in the ele and ail directions. In the lower bank presets it is set for relatively mild rotation rates and no feed-forward input. The 3D and hardcore settings crank those rates up and also apply increasing feed-forward to make the heli feel more like a flybar in terms of direct response between stick input and cyclic servos position.

What you're seeing is completely normal. Don't sweat it. :)

Top Bottom