FBL Gyro Ikon Bail out test

murankar

Staff member
Yep Ikon is the way to go if you got the thing I dont right now, CASH. Anyhow It was great to see it work and now I know what I need to get real soon now. The blender project might be on the back burner. I need to stop talking and start spending more money I dont have. This hobby is getting really expensive for my pay grade.

wolfman76

Just download the software for it on your PC.... Then click on it and click on demo mode and it will show you how to hook it up.... Pretty easy!
I just got mine hooked up to my dx8 you just click on you swash setup type and it shows you how to connect it to the rx.... Easy peasy

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
COOL! I just got the IKON and trying to figure how to put it on my DX6i. I need more searching.

You need the newest firmware for it to be compatible with any 6channel radio (if using straight up as a gyro with satellites)

If going with a full reciever , then it will work at whatever firmware it came with

Highly recommend upgrading though. Good add ons

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Lee

I was just reading about the new upgrade to the firmware. They must have been reading my mind on the 6ch upgrade :D

xokia

It dropped because i didn't touch the sticks when i flipped the switch, so i could see how it reacted. Being inverted i was in negative pitch, so when it flipped over, this would cause it to fall. Thats why i said the only thing you need to remember if you are inverted, is to give positive pitch. The gyro doesn't control altitude only the stability.

i did it once, i'll never do it again. :D just a new thing to remember.

hmm...that to me seem like it could be a bad thing. If you lost orientation you might not know which way is up and which way is down. I would think the gyro would know that and apply the appropriate pitch until you disable the bail out. Maybe we need GPS to accurately do that. The skookum is the gyro and gps APS that I have been looking at. It states you can set a flight deck which the helicopter wont fall below. Sounds cool but I haven't heard of anyone owning one yet and using it.

Thanks for going over this it is good to know what it can and cant do.

Last edited:

Lee

There would be any issue with orientation cause its alway upright. So no matter what you do, when you flip that switch, it goes to upright. So your only input needed is positive pitch.

xokia

There would be any issue with orientation cause its alway upright. So no matter what you do, when you flip that switch, it goes to upright. So your only input needed is positive pitch.
Ahhh I see that makes sense. Do you have to time that right though? Meaning if you were flipping and throwing this thing around and then hit that switch could you get in a situation where you got excited and gave it positive pitch to soon?

wolfman76

I might have to make a comment to manufacturer so maybe they can update firmware for the controller to to automatically give positive pitch... Something like that should be part of the bailout feature.... Seeing as i have the Ms brain also witch is the same as the ikon...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Come on now you guys have to take some responsibility for you actions. If you need to bail out then it should be an automatic thing for you to move the throttle up to positive pitch!

xokia

Come on now you guys have to take some responsibility for you actions. If you need to bail out then it should be an automatic thing for you to move the throttle up to positive pitch!
If that were the case then why would you even need a bail out feature? ;) The purpose is you got yourself in a situation that you DONT want to be responsible for the mistake that got you to this point and you are expecting this thing to save your butt. I don't think moving the stick to positive pitch is a big deal. I'm just wondering if you can mess the timing up and end up causing a crash. knowing the pluses and minuses of this thing is what allows someone to make an informed buying decision.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If that were the case then why would you even need a bail out feature? ;) The purpose is you got yourself in a situation that you DONT want to be responsible for the mistake that got you to this point and you are expecting this thing to save your butt. I don't think moving the stick to positive pitch is a big deal. I'm just wondering if you can mess the timing up and end up causing a crash. knowing the pluses and minuses of this thing is what allows someone to make an informed buying decision.

Has soon had you flip the switch it rights right up in an instance! You won't even blink your eye and she is up right! I don't think that you'll have to worry about time to raise the throttle up! It's that fast! Anyways the bailout switch isn't design to save your but has you say. It's just a added feature to help you out of a difficult situation! You still have responsibility has the pilot! I did not buy my Ikon cause of the bailout switch. I bought mine cause of the flight carictoristics of the ikon itself! I also have a NAZA H for my 600. I bought it cause I loved the way my QAV flew with the NAZA. Not cause if anything eltz.

Lee

Ahhh I see that makes sense. Do you have to time that right though? Meaning if you were flipping and throwing this thing around and then hit that switch could you get in a situation where you got excited and gave it positive pitch to soon?

If you look at my video, the speed at which it flips back to right side up is pretty fast.
Heres a good scenario, you flew a little too far away from yourself or the sun got in your eyes. Flipping the switch and giving enough collective to climb gently would give you time to re orientate yourself or regain visual.
Or you are practicing inverted, and you mistake negative for positive, The bird falls rapidly, you flip the switch, you are already giving positive so it will instantly climb.
Its not going to save you if you are 2ft from the deck doing smack 3D, but then if you are doing that, you don't need it :D for most other situations it will. Give one a try

Tony

Staff member
Also, when you hit that switch, it ALWAYS goes tail in, right? so no matter what, you know when you hit that switch it will be upright and tail in just waiting for you to give it a command, right?

Top Bottom