General Idle Up.....

Tony....

Can you explain idle up as it relates to flying.... I know once you flip to "stunt mode" the throttle is constant and the blades change from positive to negative, but...
How does the heli react. Do we got to be mid stick to kick it in and does the blade pitch produce the lift .
A video would be nice explaining on your mcpx.....

zenmetsu

Idle-up is usually set up with either a flat 100% throttle across the whole stick range, or sometimes set to about 80% at mid stick and tapering to 100% at full up and down.

From what I understand, you will want to flip the switch to Idle-Up in such a way that there is zero reaction from the helicopter. If you are in the air hovering, you will be just a little bit above mid-stick. Flipping to Idle-Up at this position should maintain positive lift and you shouldn't have a runaway heli. Switching to idle-up at low stick would result in a sudden increase in throttle and a lot of negative pitch, thus potentially causing "an event".

Switching at exact mid stick would result in zero lift and the heli would still come down, but likely slowly enough that you could react and keep it out of the dirt.

Tony

Staff member
I agree with everything zenmetsu stated. I always go into idle up when I'm on the ground and getting ready to take off. I have done it in the air, and if your hovering, and everything in your Tx are the same above 50%, it will actually climb a little. The blade pitch is the same, but the speed of the rotors is a little faster. IMO, there is no much difference in throttle from normal to idle up to me. May be my settings. I have not looked at them in some time.

Lee

Mid stick to high stick should be the same for pitch in both Norm and Stunt (idle up) as the guys have said. The increase in RPMs will give slighty more lift so the heli will rise as you flick to Stunt. If you are just doing it for the first time then a throttle curve of flat 80% will ease the nerves changing for the first time. Unless you are doing hard 3D 100% throttle is not necessary. Whe i flick from Norm to Stunt on all my helis in the air they stay exactly where they are. What you dont want is a huge jump in throttle from Norm to Stunt. This will cause a twitch in yaw and could.... if the difference is great enough cause you to strip gears.

Top Bottom