General I would like some help finding a plane

Tony

Staff member
Actually Randy, I was talking about you and I. We both folded the landing gear on our Edges and on teh same part of the runway. Mine was I caught the lip, and if I remember correctly, yours was the wind and the plane just dropped out of the sky on final approach. The landing gear mounts are weak by design to save weight. Beefing them up with some 1/8" ply is highly suggested on just about every 3D plane out there.

RandyDSok

I think you may be talking about the gear box area that the gear are mounted to... I was talking about the gear itself in my post because that is what I thought you were referring too. It also couldn't have been my Edge since I haven't hurt its LG, probably the red 47" Extra if I was to guess since I broke it twice with harrier-ish ( unwanted ) landings.

CF landing gear does have a weakness... if the plane drops straight down on them... but it is very strong going the other direction like seen when I've rolled off the gear...

On my yellow Vyper ( ie the 3D Pattern plane as my avatar ).... I lost a servo in the wing because it stuck in the up position, it was spinning out of control towards the ground... all I could was kill the motor and try and counter with the remaining aileron which resulted in only a slow spin... lmao... The balsa of the fuse, from the wing forward just shattered... the LG and the box it was mounted to... is fine.

The other plane that I've rolled the gear off of... my larger red Slick... twice... Both times were my fault... well, one was actually by choice due to a linkage issue which made me worry about trying to go around again in order to come in for a slower landing.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah yeah, I was talking about the mount, not the landing gear it's self. Like yours, my gear is perfect with just a couple scratches. It's just where they mount it, it's very light and not made for a "harder than normal" landing.

Top Bottom