General I would like some help finding a plane

Derek

I will be looking to purchase and ARF kit sometime this year and this is a picture of what I am looking for:

domin-8-trix.jpg

This plane is a 48" wingspan balsa kit plane from Hobby King. However, after seeing all the negative reviews and comments about this plane on the HK website, I know that this is not what I want. I am looking for a plane very similar to this.

Here are some prerequisites:

I want it to be electric capable
I want it to be 40-48" wingspan

Now...I'm asking for help because I do not know what brand names or companies makes this type of plane. Nitroplanes.com has some nice planes and they even have one that I saw and really liked. However, it turned out that the fuselage was foam...not balsa.

Any ideas???

domin-8-trix.jpg

Derek

yeah....i kinda think it is. where would be a place that i could look for these types of ARF planes? I've seen a few but i don't like the color scheme at all.

Tony

Staff member
And by the way, that purple and black one is not an Edge. The wings are swept back on the leading edge, and the Edge doesn't have that little spout below the motor. Just another damn Chinese knockoff for ya.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that is a GREAT flying plane. I loved every minute of building it, and putting it in the air is great. Very solid, very agile and does exactly what you tell it to do. the only issue I have with it is the canopy (needs a latch or do what I do, tape it down) and the landing gear brace in the fuse. I would suggest beefing it up but it will work stock. I folded mine when I tried to land across the runway and caught the lip of it. Other than those two issues, this thing is amazing.

Here is the article I created on this plane.
Rc-Help - Edge 540T Review

First flight with my DX8 and this plane.
Edge 540T 50" First Flight w/ DX8

This is the thread I made after folding the landing gears.
Project: Edge Rapair

Here is a little video review I did on the plane.
Great Planes Edge 540T

That should give you some info on that plane. I still have it, I still love it, and when I renew my AMA I will head out to a field and fly it again. 4s power baby lol.

BOKI

mountaindewdude76; Hey Derck that's a nice looking plane! Do you get the AMA magazine it has all kinds of planes & helicopters & at different WEB sites maybe you can find one in the magazine like your looking for! The Best!

Tony

Staff member
I think Randy is part owner of those two businesses lmao. He is always pushing them.

I kid though, they are great planes. I have wanted to fly his 3DHS Edge, just never had the cash to replace it when I crashed it. I have heard good things about them. Well, all except for the landing gears that seem to always fold. Seems to be a pattern with these planes lmao.

RandyDSok

I'm not sure what Tony has read, but I suspect it was from people that can't land... if it was one of these types of people, they are always blaming their gear for their failures instead of their thumbs.

The only time I've had any issues with landing gear was warranted.. Being carbon fiber they can crack during a real hard landing, so far I've only had two landings that required I fix/replace the gear... I've had several additional times, probably two or three, that I came in way too hot and "rolled" the gear out from under the plane. In those landings, the gear itself was fine but the bottom of the plane ( gearbox area ) failed.

While most of the 3DHS planes have CF landing gear... they did design one for more of a beginner and it has the spring metal landing gear like many of the cheaper built planes, the 41" Edge 540. If you do have a hard landing and bend the gear, you just straighten it up and go again.

RandyDSok

ADC HobbyStore ( as linked to above ), Esprit Model and Aero-Model are all distributers for 3DHS products... in fact, the one in the link above is a 3DHS 48" Edge 540

RandyDSok

The Orange is a cool color indeed... it really shows up well in sunlight.

Just so there is no confusion, the previously linked picture has the optional sticker set that ADC created and sells seperate... Here is a link to the 3DHS website that shows the plane in it's stock design... 48" Edge 540 Orange

Oops.... it appears they've got some Futaba and a couple of other stickers on it... it must be one of Joe Smith's planes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom