I should have brought a camera OR Why I shouldn't fly fixed wing

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok, I will end the suspense first. Yes I crashed. I crashed all 3 aircraft I brought with me. Here they are in order of flight.

I was going to start off with my plane, but the battery velcro was loose. So I CA'ed it back in place and pulled out my MCPx to work off the nerves. I was flying it around doing really well, impressing the guy with me. He has been with me a couple of times now and has watched me progress. He was impressed with how far I've come. I decided to show off a bit and started doing flips with the MCPx. Everything was going great until I forgot to add negative pitch while inverted once and instead added full POSITIVE pitch. MCPx go boom. Picked it up, shoved the gear back up and kept flying.

Damage: Broke the battery holder on the landing gear, need to CA it back together.

Next up was the plane, a Multiplex Acromaster. I will point out that this was only my second time flying this plane, and the first time I crashed in under 45 seconds. I didn't even make it that long this time. As soon as I got off the ground I could tell something was SERIOUSLY WRONG with this plane. It was pitching all over the place. At the time I was too freaked out trying to control it to really analyze what was happening. After thinking back on it, I think it was WAY nose heavy. If I remember right it seems like I was constantly fighting it from pitching down. I managed to get it turned twice and was trying to come in for a landing to figure out why it was acting so badly, unfortunately I haven't managed to get any better at landing fixed wing yet. I managed to hit nose first AGAIN, bending ANOTHER motor shaft. Didn't know that at the time though. I asked my buddy to take the plane up and see what was wrong with it since there was no VISIBLE damage. As soon as he throttled up we heard the motor buzzing from the shaft, the plane rolled out 30ft and BOTH ailerons fell off. It was the most hilarious sight I have yet seen. Plane rolling across the grass and the AILERONS FALL OFF. Only thing holding them to the plane was the servos. As we walked up to the plane we were trying to see how bad the motor shaft was. I was holding the plane back and he throttled up. Then the prop FLEW OFF. Not just the prop, but the entire prop holder assembly. Just flew right off the motor and went whipping through the air. Lesson number whatever (I have lost count at this point)never stand parallel to or in front of an operational plane.

Damage: Ailerons, just need to CA the hinges back into the wing. Motor shaft, need to see if I can get a motor shaft for an Exceed Rocket motor, or if I have to get a whole new motor again.

Next up was his JR .30 size nitro. It flew awesome until the muffler came loose and the engine started running lean.

Damage: Muffler, Needs to be locktited on again.

Last up was my beloved Blade 400. I started awful, the bird was all over the place. This was it's first flight on my new DX8 and I really had some trimming to do. The second battery went much better. I actually started to do some real sport flying with it, started to really feel comfortable with it. That battery was awesome. For the third battery I let my buddy start it off. He flew for about 3/4 of the battery, then handed it back because the light was getting bad and he wanted me to get some more stick time. He had put it in idle up, and it was the first time I had ever heard idle up. I thought, what the heck, I can HOVER in idle up, it's only a minute left, just hover and get comfortable with idle up. Then I did a pitch pump and the world ended. It shot up, which I was ready for, but it also started pirouetting out of control. I had no tail control and it was going over on it's side. I tried to fight it to level all the way down and failed. About 5 feet off the ground I completely lost it and flipped TH. It was AWESOME/HORRIFYING. My wonderful 400 was a folded up pile of parts. After looking it over, it appears the tail belt wasn't tight enough and when I pitch pumped the belt just started slipping.

Damage: Bent main shaft, feathering shaft, flybar shaft, tail boom. Broken main blades, main blade grip, landing gear. Need to replace belt also. (Just did some quick window shopping on AMainhobbies, looks like about $50 in parts, not too bad)

So, while it sucks that most of my fleet is in need of repair now, I really feel good about the day. I managed to control my MCPx well and try out some more advanced moves with it. I managed to break through my hover phase with the 400. The only thing that I didn't improve on was my fixed wing flying, maybe I should leave the planks to others.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Well, all in all it totally sucks lmao. It's never good going home with 3 paper bags full of parts. However, lessons are being learned.

I sure do wish I could have been out there with you to help out.

I'm going to be honest with you here and hope you don't take any offense to any of this. I think you need to throw that planker in the bin (as Lee would say lmao). I have never, NEVER liked EPP or EPO planes like this. There is only one that I have flown/maidened at the field that I liked and did what it was supposed to. I think you need to get you a good trainer plane and practice with that. Something like the Nexstar or whatever it is. Gaba had one and said it flew great.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out how to get off these damn nights and when I do, we are going to meet up somewhere. You bring your DX8, I will bring mine and we will put a cable between them. We will put the Edge 540T in the air and I will let you fly her around a bit. I think your biggest hold back with planes is, THAT PLANE! Lets get you a GOOD balsa plane and I KNOW we can get you in the air with it. For now, forget about buying the Edge 540's and look at the trainers. Everyone has to start somewhere.

wolfman76

man sorry to here about the fleet man i have yet to even get my 400 in the air yet.. would be nice built mine from the ground up with nuthin but a parts diagram of the whole heli to go by no assembly book oh well i wil get her airborne soon... Hope you get the fleet back together soon

callsign4223

Staff member
The plane may be part of it, but I think most of it is my lack of knowledge on planes. I think you are 90% right, I need to put this one up until I get a decent trainer and learn to fly fixed wing. I think once I learn to fly, this one will be good enough, it's still EPP, but I don't think it's a bad design. I just like to jump in the deep end is the problem. My first heli was the MCPx, completely skipped the coax and fixed pitch helis. The difference I think is that the MCPx is crashable whereas my acromaster isn't. Well, the airframe is, but I keep hitting on the freaking nose and toasting motors. Maybe I should start crashing it tail first.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If you have never flone then you need a good trainer plane to learn on. Something with a high wing. Like the Hobbyco netstar. They practically fly themselves! After you master flying with a trainer them start upgrading your planes.

Tony

Staff member
I will make a deal with you bro. How would you like to fly my Telemaster to learn planes? I still need to finish the ailerons and flaps, put flap servos in it as well as elevator and rudder servos, but once that is done, it will be ready for the air. Oh yeah, I need to get some monokote as well to finish it. but, if you want to help out with it, you can fly it all you want. I will be there for the first time just to make sure it's going to fly the way I want it to. After that, Just fly it.

callsign4223

Staff member
Sounds good. Thinking I will build up the RCH trainer as well.

And to even out this deal, send me a list of the electronics it still needs and I will see if I can sneak them into the order for the stuff for the RCH trainer.

Tony

Staff member
I will have to sit down and look at it to see what it's going ot need. I know I have to finish the aileron/flap modification, add servos, maybe an ESC and a tail wheel. I will see what I can do here this weekend.

callsign4223

Staff member
Well, I figured out what caused the 400 to crash. I originally thought I didn't have the belt tight enough, or that it was worn out. I was close, it was the tail, just not the tension or belt. The belt driver pulley was completely worn smooth, no teeth left at all. The only thing spinning the tail was friction and apparently when I pitch pumped in idle up it was enough to break the belt loose. I feel better at least knowing what failed.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Matt, maybe now is a good time to make an upgrade to a better heli? personally I have never liked the 400 or 450 from Blade. I hear nothing but problems from them. But I guess that comes with owning a forum like this lol. Hope you get in the air soon.

callsign4223

Staff member
I think the blade makes a good beginner helicopter. It won't do heavy 3d or anything, but just for getting used to cp Helis it's fine. My next upgrade will be a 550 or 600 size I think. But my next heli will be a 130x.

Tony

Staff member
Help me get this damn 600 in the air and we will play around with it. That will tell you if you want to get somethign this big or not. I can say this, a baseball field is not big enough for a heli of this size...

Top Bottom