450 I run outta room!

trainrider06

Ok, have this HK 450 that I put together last year.
Has been a pretty decent flier really.....but! Yes always the
"But"......I had a GY401 futaba gyro on it and a cheapie Corona
929mg servo and it was actually very solid in the tail. Well a friend
needed a 401.....I guess I am the type to give the shirt off my back,
or gyro that works perfect on my heli because I have a Logictech 2100
On it now....that drifts like a ship floundering without power at sea!
Upon further inspection, I found the cheapie servo, true to rumors had
broken a tab....thought damn! That musta been it! Got one of my
big honking DS9257 Futaba servo's and stuck her on there....now
my tail while crisp and responsive, it drifts to the left looking at the
tail, or nose right. No problem! Slide that servo forward....problem!
I am slap up against the tail block.....also servo rod is adjusted
All the way in on both ends in order to get 90.
What do I do here?

Tony

Staff member
When you are in rate mode, mid stick on the rudder, is the linkage rod 90 to the servo arm or is it off? Also, is your servo arm closer to the rear of the helicopter, or the front? A picture with the rudder at mid stick in rate mode will answer all of my questions here lol.

trainrider06

Will take one tonight, the servo is about as perfect to n90 as they come!
Although I hadn't checked where the arm was on tail the blades were dead on
Straight.....

Tony

Staff member
To get rid of the drift, you will want a little angle in the blades. What you do is set the gyro in rate mode (same %age as HH mode, but negative) and take it up into a hover. Then, you adjust your tail linkage rod until the drift stops.

trainrider06

Ok thank ya Tony, I was thinking I may need to add a little pitch in blades, but there is where my problem will be....the servo is already against the tail block holder....I'm not really sure how I'll be able to add the pitch....since that's where I gotta go (forward) in order to slide the servo to get a bit of pitch....

Lee

The size of that servo is very big for a 450 tail mount. thats probably the issue with lack of movement possibility.

trainrider06

The size of that servo is very big for a 450 tail mount. thats probably the issue with lack of movement possibility.

Yes I am afraid so....:( what's a good solid servo for a 450?
I had this one and another Futaba laying in bench stock, guess I'll need to find a smaller one...

Tony

Staff member
The Pro models all use the 525, it's what I have on my 450 Pro. But, if you are using a really old version, then yes, get the 425.

murankar

Staff member
Two other options would be the KST ds215mg or ds515mg. Both of these should work just fine.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

trainrider06

Ah spied one on eBay! :) I guess I can just keep the Futaba S9257 for my 500 as a spare! :) I have another one a 9056 or something like that also, so I'll be good on spares for the 500!
Ok thanks Tony! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Two other options would be the KST ds215mg or ds515mg. Both of these should work just fine.

Ah! I better check on those also! Thanks you sir!

murankar

Staff member
There are a lot of Gaui x3 owners who use 4 kst ds215mgs. They are strong enough to hold a tail and fast enough also.

Top Bottom