ESC I need someone to tell me if this ESC will work with this motor i picked

rcnoob159

Will this Andoer Original Hobbywing SkyWalker 40A Brushless RC ESC Electric Speed Controller With BEC/UBEC work with this 2040 Brushless Inrunner Motor 4800kv
motor. If the ESC will not work with that motor could you suggest a ESC that would work and it can't be more than $20 for the ESC.

Tony

Staff member
If you could, post links to the items you are comparing. It will help us out. But if it's the one that I found on hobbyking, the motor only pulls 25 amps, so a 40 amp ESC should work just fine. But to know for sure, post up some links so we know exactly what we are comparing.

Tony

Staff member
From those links, the ESC is rated at 40 amps, and the motor pulls about 20 amps. So with an ESC that will handle over double the amperage of the motor, you should be just fine. You could even go down to a 30 amp ESC if you wanted, but the 40 will work just fine.

Tony

Staff member
It depends on what kind of car you are wanting to put it in. And even then, it's hit an miss without a schematic of the bolt holes in the motor and chassis.

rcnoob159

ok thank you

- - - Updated - - -

oh ok never mind then

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAY9YOG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A20H555M9MROEP

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure. we all have to start somewhere and having a goal like you have is a perfect first step. One thing I didn't answer is the tire size. There are a lot of factors to put into this. Gear ratio, final drive ratio, tire diameter and roll-out, weight of the vehicle and so on. IMO, the best way to do this is to build the car and try it out. But I will say this, the motor you are looking at is a little small and IMO would only be good for something in the 1/18th scale size or smaller. To run anything bigger, I would want a motor that pulls 40+ amps minimum and it should be good for a car up to about 4lbs.

Tony

Staff member
You are going to want a car type Tx/Rx instead of an air type. The ones with teh sticks are for air mostly. I myself run the Spektrum DX3r for ground, and the Spektrum DX9 for the air.

Tony

Staff member
You are right about that. They are quite expensive, but as I always say, you get what you pay for. You cna try this motor you linked, but do your best to keep the weight down.

Admiral

Spec on that motor

2040 Brushless Inrunner Motor 4800kv

Specification:
Dimensions: 20mm x 40mm
Max Amps: 20A
Resistance: 0.0399
KV: 4800
No load current: 1.4A
Max Power: 220W
Li-Po: 2-3S
ESC: 25A

So your 40A ESC will be overkill but will work OK

rcnoob159

If I have 2 of the 2040 Brushless Inrunner Motor 4800kv motors on the car would it beable to move like 3lbs or more?

Tony

Staff member
It's all going to depend on gearing. Inrunner motors are not known for their torque, and a 4500kv motor spins quite fast. So you are going to need a very small pinion and a large spur gear.

Tony

Staff member
That motor will be better, but it's still meant to run through a transmission to lower the gear ratio and raise the torque rating to the wheels. And doing a dual motor setup, your ESC's will have to be synchronized perfectly otherwise it's going to track off horribly.

Top Bottom