General i need serious help

I'm a newb and I feel like an idiot but I'm bound and determined to figure all of this stuff out and I'm not going to let it get the better of me so here goes I have bought a used dynam 450 with align 3gx and spektrum dsm2 sat/rec all that works fine so I got a turnigy 9xr pro with dm9 module and that's where I need the most help I have got the tx to bind with the helo but it just spun out of control yes I removed the blades prior to any attempts at powering up so no battle wounds at this point if someone could help walk me through getting the helo setup in the tx I would be eternally grateful I'm not a technotard but when it comes to this stuff I feel like a two year old I look forward to learning from y'all

murankar

Staff member
For starters the tail is reversed in the gyro. As for that radio, not many people on here use it. I did a basic setup how to on a similar radio. The thread is in the radio section. If that's not what you have then I won't be of much use.

holtneil

Hi mate the 3gx needs to be set up in radio as a 120 deg 3 servo this is the only gyro that has the mix in the radio Tony did a top set of videos on the 3gx set up watch them it's a step by step set up this will help
But the 3gx had a lot of problems so at some time may be look at the Kbar gyro it's cheap and really good

Ok so I finally got my tx to bind with my sat/rec but when it does it spins up and twitches like the head is having a seizure or something I haven't set anything up in the tx so it shouldn't be doing anything as far as I know of can you tell me more about the kbar system and what is needed to get it up and running on my bird and I can either sell or throw away the 3gx depending on what the issue is

Smoggie

You need to set the FBL controller up. Disconnect the wires to the motor to stop it powering up and remove the servo plugs from the FBL.. now you can connect the FBL to your PC and start the setup process without and danger of anything going nuts. only connect the servos back up once you get to that stage in the setup.

The Kbar is a clone copy of the Mikado Vbar. because they are clones they cant be purchased from regular dealers, the cheapest place to get one if Aliexpress or Banggood: Aliexpress.com : Buy Freeshipping 3Axis Gyro KBAR V2 5.3.4PRO K8 Flybarless Stabilization System FBL 450 500 550 from Reliable k8 cpu suppliers on GARTT -RC factory OUTLET | Alibaba Group

KLA

Hey Russellwilson, have you got your radio set up with your heli yet? I don't have a Turnigy 9xr but I do have the little older Turnigy 9x. The programming is a little different, but if you haven't got it figured out yet, let me know. I may be able to help you.

murankar

Staff member
I also have a basic setup guide on here. Although I would listen to KLA since I have not been on that radio in about a year now.

KLA

Hey murankar, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll do my best to help people any way I can. From what the OP described, it seems like he has the TX set to PCM. In the model setup, it needs to be set to PPM to put out the proper 2.4ghz signal. If it is set to PCM, the servos will twitch like crazy as soon as you bind the reciever just like the OP described.

Oh, by the way, my name is Keith. I'm fairly new on this forum and not able to post a Signature yet.

trainrider06

i Pm'd the guy last night, he has sold the heli. But sounds like you had an answer for him Keith! Poor guy was frustrated about getting help with it, and it wasn't just this site but all of em, I told him that it's not always the case that no one wants to help, but the right person with the right answers to a problem. He had a double trouble deal going on there, the 3GX, and the radio that not many on here have messed with...
said he got a racing quad, and I told him to check out the guys over in the quad section if he needed help. But to be patient, because not all of us are quad qualified.

Tony

Staff member
Quads are almost exactly like helicopters. They fly exactly the same, they use a gyro just like FBL helicopters, only difference is there is no tail rotor. I do hope he sticks it out with the quad. And my suggestion to him is to get a spektrum Tx. Something that more people know how to program. PPM, PWM and whatever, some of us know what this is and what it does, but not someone new to the hobby. He needs something that just works out of the box, and a DX6i or DX6 is perfect.

trainrider06

well I told him he had kinda a dual problem there, one the 3GX, and 2 the radio he was using...not too many know about those!
hopefully he gets things straightened out...

KLA

Yeah, you guys are right. He would've been better off with a DX6I or something like that mainly because more people have experience with them. The Turnigy radios are good radios, especially for the cost of them. But if you are a beginner and don't have much experience with programming them they can be quite difficult. Especially the Turnigy 9XR because it runs the er9x firmware which is way more complicated than the Turnigy 9X V2 firmware. It took me a good while to learn the programing on my 9X, but once I figured it out I love it.

trainrider06

Yeah, you guys are right. He would've been better off with a DX6I or something like that mainly because more people have experience with them. The Turnigy radios are good radios, especially for the cost of them. But if you are a beginner and don't have much experience with programming them they can be quite difficult. Especially the Turnigy 9XR because it runs the er9x firmware which is way more complicated than the Turnigy 9X V2 firmware. It took me a good while to learn the programing on my 9X, but once I figured it out I love it.

Well we got an experienced guy with you buddy! :) Anyone else need advise on one I know who to send em too! :wink:

Smoggie

Hi Keith,

Is the software on the 9X / 9XR similar to the Taranis (Open Tx based)? As a long time Spektrum user I did try a Taranis but I found the software very hard to get to grips with. I'm sure if I'd persevered I'd have got there in the end, but I'm in the hobby to fly not to learn computer programming, so i gave up and sold it.

As you say, a beginner would be much better off getting a mainstream Tx such as the DX6. They at least have a good manual and simple intuitive menu driven user interface. Probably more importantly there are more Spektrum users around with the experience to advise and help.

KLA

Smoggie, as a matter of fact, the Turnigy 9xr firmware is very similar to that of the Taranis. They are both Open Source firmware, just some slight differences. The Taranis runs the Open TX firmware and the Turnigy 9xr runs the ER9X firmware. Like I said, they are both Open Source firmware, and if you have tried to program the Taranis, then you know how difficult it can be, especially for a beginner.

Top Bottom