General I flew my trex 450 sport dfc AND!!............

yak1646

I finished setting up and I flew My heli in my backyard last week.It was really stable the Ar7200bx.(I took a vid will upload soon)I was so happy:yahoo: I don't have to tell you guy what happened today when I flew it(My fifth time flying)!!.My main props looked something like this>>>article-2413231-1BA658EC000005DC-206_634x533.jpg

:cussing::cussing::cussing: I flew It into my treehouse!!!! So far nothing else looks damaged... I guess I'll find out soon enough.@%$#*#@$@$*@$#!!@&#*!&#^*!(#&!* DAMN!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to change Tony's saying from "When you crash" TO "IF you crash" But I failed miserably!!!!!:cussing::cussing::cussing:

article-2413231-1BA658EC000005DC-206_634x533.jpg

Admiral

Check your feathering & main shafts, it's rare to destroy blades like that and not damage one or both.

KLA

Admiral took the words right out of my mouth. Feathering shaft and main shaft are most likely bent also which will lead to vibes that the 7200 don't like. But we have all been there. If you aren't crashing you aren't learning. At least you got it in the air for a while. It's pretty exciting, isn't it!!!

Tony

Staff member
Suckage right there. But as the saying goes, "fly, crash, rebuild, fly again"... I'm with the others as well. Pull those shafts and check them. I can assure you they are bent.

yak1646

liKE I SAID I WAS GONNA CHECK.I CAHNGED THE BLADES AND FLEW IT IN MY BASEMENT!! IT WAS REALLY STABLE.i GUESS I WAS LUCKY NOTHING ELSE BROKE.

trainrider06

What's up with the surgical gloves? Is that to signify the surgery that needs be preformed on the patient?
Don't worry, we have all been there, and visit once in a while to make sure we still can bash em up a good one.
Just take your time hover your brains out, so you can get used to its behavior and your orientations.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Ditto on the glove question. Mr trainrider06 is right about it's behavior and especially orientation. It's real easy to get confuse once you start flying father away from your self.

Smoggie

Also do yourself a favour. When you are learning you need lots of room. Don't fly in basements and near garden 'furniture' like treehouses, or anything else other than the ground that you might crash into. Flying helis is hard enough without adding an obstacle course to the mix, you need a wide open space.

yak1646

hahahahhahahah!!.Yeah the gloves.The pic is just off the internet.I said my blades looked "Something like this">>I flew my helicopter again in my BackYard.It felt pretty stable to me.I only changed the props.Why are you guys so sure that my whole heli is done for!!! If I had a bent shaft or feathering Then I woudnt be able to hover in one place.(I CAN Hover exactly in one Place)

KLA

We were only trying to give you some advice on things to check out, cause we all know from experience. It's up to you if you take our advice or not. And nobody said that your "whole heli is done for." Just said that the odds are that in a crash, even as minor as a simple blade strike, that the feathering spindle and main shaft might be bent and should be checked out. But if not, that's great. (Glad you CAN hover exactly in one Place)

murankar

Staff member
After a crash with broken blade it's best practice to check the main shaft and spindle. On a 450 class heli those seem to go everytime.

After a crash you should be doing a post crash investigation. Let's just say that it's a dumb thumb crash. You will need to look over the entire heli for any signs of other damage. Then move on to the more obviousstuff.

Even if you think your fine sometimes a hard landing will bend a spindle shaft.

KLA

Exactly! Like I said, we're just trying to help. You can either take our advice and check it all out, or not. Just trying to save you some headaches.

trainrider06

I don't know why you asked then really, if you went ahead and slapped some more blades on it and flew it. But I can tell you one thing 9 times outta ten if the blades look like what was in the picture, something got bent.
Maybe you lucked out, maybe not if not you'll know soon enough. We are all just trying to help people here and add some safety in there so you or anyone else doesn't get hurt, because they will hurt someone if it's being used and abused.
That's your call to choose.
You won't have to reset everything up if that's what your afraid of to check the shafts on it, as long as you don't mix up the links or adjustments of em. But again your call. Good luck with it.

KLA

Well said, Rodney. I know that when I first put the Tarot head and the Beast on my 450 Pro, my heli tilted on just a bit on landing and a blade hit a stick. The blade just got chipped on the end but it bent the hell out of the feathering spindle. My only point is that they do bend very easy. It doesn't take much. And as cheap as they are, only $4.50 for 2 of them, it's pretty silly to not at least check to see if it's bent.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, hey Rodney, I just emailed you about 20 minutes ago, too.

murankar

Staff member
Hey guy, we are not trying to bash you or anything. I presume that with 5 flights under your belt you have not been flying very long. Here at RCH our main goal is to get you the info you need and that it is accurate. We also like to ensure you are informed on the safety stuff also.

Now with all that said after a crash there as certain things you need to do. If this is your first crash then there are some pieces of info you need. Your 450 is not a blade micro whets you blow it off and take off again.

Once a 450 goes in you need to know what need to be checked so you don't have to get fixed in the ER. I don't want to see you leave this great hobby because of a small ordeal.

Last edited:

Smoggie

HOw do Icheck my feathering ??

Remove one blade and put the remaining blade 'straight out' in the flight position. Place a hex key in the head of the bolt at the accessible end of the feathering shaft, and rotate the shaft using the hex key. Watch carefully to see if the blade moves in a circular pattern as the shaft turns. if it moves the shaft is bent. If it looks ok repeat with the opposite blade removed.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Or take the head apart and roll the feathering spindle on a piece of glass, ANY wobble will be seen when doing this

Or after taken the head apart you can stick the feathering or main shaft into the end of a drill chuck, that's another way to check if it's bent.

Top Bottom