Micro I am now X ing...

sterlingh

I guess I forgot to hit the submit button in this forum as my post on my latest purchase is not here. Hate to admit it,but that's not the first time I've done that, however I've only done it a couple of times so polleeeeeease... Anyway I have been reading these and other threads on these micro-helicopters. I got sort of interested with the MCPX. A small collective pitch and durable, did/does sound intriguing. So I did what any RC addicted junkie would do. I drooled, thought about it some more, rationalize how beneficial it would be,how necessary in order to understand the whole micro thing, then walked into my LHS and bought one.

Brought it home checked it out, took it in the backyard and ever so slowly spooled it up. It went all over the place as though I left my TX in the house and turned off.. My heart dropped, my disappointment flew away faster than any RC- helicopter could ever think about. $179 blown, down the tube. What was I thinking? I need help, and psych meds fast!

I remember reading on one of Tony's post, about adjusting the linkage and taming it down . I did exactly as instructed , and WOW that's all I can say. I can actually hover this helicopter, fly out 20 feet and bring it back. I also can spooll it up in the house . That is the main reason I got it, lol there is that rationalization. I can practice in the house. So for me I could not be happier about this purchase and this bird .

It is completely tamed , however I do expect I will be adjusting it back more like I got it . Maybe a slow process, but I'll get there . Funny thing , but I did not think I would ever like a small bird . My very first one I got at a flea market, don't even know the brand for $20 . Coaxial , it does hover and move around, but a four-year-old can master it in 10 min. . That being my only experience with Palm size birds , led me, mistakingly, to think I would not want one . However a single rotor collective pitch in such a small helicopter is pretty cool .

I read a lot about how tough it is , and of course that is true . However for me it's not true in the way I would have thought . That cheap coxial I just spoke could fly into a wall full blown speed, and be in better shape than it was before it hit the wall. :)

My first couple of days I did crash it quite a bit . If there is anything such as a soft crash , then I can say I soft crashed . With no throttle, hit the ground , or wall , or refrigerator , or one of my dogs . Only one of my dogs because the other one leaves the room with heli spooled up, lol as though that will protect her. Anyway what I find mostly tough, is the ease to fix it. Make no mistake though I have to fix it a lot. My swash plate has separated, of course the little linkages pop off all the time. I looked at one real hard and it popped off. My tail fin has popped off a few times, but the most occurring is my main gear slippage. In any case they are very quick fixes, and for me that is a big deal. I have read and am starting to believe, this may help me transition to my bigger 450 birds. I hope that is true, but if some of you pros know that it's not true please, lie to me. :)...

Now, I'm going to throw one more element of this in and hopefully without wrath. At one of the LHS's I go to, some time ago tried recommending the blade progression. I call it blade progression because they have several line'd up, and say that a newbie should start here and they go right through the line, all the way up to the blade 450'.as you progress and get better at flying. They start with a coaxial, then if I remember correctly they have the MSR, then the MSRx, followed by MCPX, Blade 130, and on.So in short, because I have more screws loose than an RTF, I purchased a MSR X. And I have to say I love this bird as well.Honestly, while it really is hard to admit, I think this is where I need to be. I am much more comfortable practicing with it, and like the MCPX I can use it in the house. Even with the MCPX tamed way down, I still have control issues in the house.

I am much better outside, My MSRX seems to be even tougher. That is I have not even pop'ed off one of those linkages yet, from the blade to the upper part of the swash plate. I have hit the furniture a couple of times, ( okay stop it, several times ) with almost no damage. The motor has come unglued twice. Yes they put glue on it to hold it in place,lol. I have this tamed down as well but had to do a lot less taming with this one.

There is the battery size( physically speaking) difference between the two birds, as well as the skids. It has been said you can use the bigger battery if you do a skid mod. I did that with a thin strip of Velcro, on the bigger battery ( for the mcpx) and on the skid. Works nicely, however I can definitely feel the extra weight. I probably won't be using the bigger battery. Well I guess this turned into a slight review... Sorry about that. I just don't get on this form as much as I would like to, and get the chaties when I do. Anyway, enjoy reading all the threads and your experiences with these micro-helicopters. Fascinating hobby and I just love it, thank you gentlemen.

Lee

Congrats on the purchases. The MSR X is the best decision you've made sofar. Both Tony and I had the MSR and it taught me everything i needed to know. I had already started to fly the 450 before i got my MSR but once i had it, my 450 flying improved 10 fold.
And if you can fly the MCPX with any sort of skills, the 450 will be a piece of cake. The only thing that will hold you back is the nerves of a bigger machine. If you can jump the nerves hurdle its a much more steady bird.
Good Luck Sterling.

Adam

See i can hover all helis and the problem is my nerves on the sticks get the best of me and so far i have to say this progression from micro to 450 is going to be the greatest thing i have ever done this winter, lets see if it works lol. To this day there has not been a single flight that i havent gotten a rush from. Keep up the practice and it will come.

Tony

Staff member
The mSR-X has replaced the mSR. They put a 3 axis gyro in it and got rid of the flybar. IMO, the progression you should do is master the mSR-X, then master the mCP-X. If you can master the mCP-X, then you can jump right to the 450. DO NOT GET A 250! They will be much more unstable than anything you have seen yet.

They are great birds and as Lee stated, the mSR taught me everything I needed to know to get into CCPM. You will love these birds!

flysolo

Sounds good Sterlingh. I also have a Msrx but my experience with this little bird seems to be very different from yours. I can use it to hover in different directions but it's impossible to fly. I think there is a bug in the software, it's practically impossible to give a pure rudder input. Piroutte is out of the question. I should say that I have no problem to handle the mcpx in fast forward, circles, piros and stuff.

Also, if i hold the msrx in the hand and tilt it the swash is tilted in the opposite direction. If I touch the rudder stick the swash levels out.. this can't be right.

Maybe it's just setup the wrong way. If someone knows I sure would like to be able to use it properly.

-Niklas

Tony

Staff member
Sounds good Sterlingh. I also have a Msrx but my experience with this little bird seems to be very different from yours. I can use it to hover in different directions but it's impossible to fly. I think there is a bug in the software, it's practically impossible to give a pure rudder input. Piroutte is out of the question. I should say that I have no problem to handle the mcpx in fast forward, circles, piros and stuff.

Also, if i hold the msrx in the hand and tilt it the swash is tilted in the opposite direction. If I touch the rudder stick the swash levels out.. this can't be right.

Maybe it's just setup the wrong way. If someone knows I sure would like to be able to use it properly.

-Niklas

No that is 100% correct. As stated in my above post, it has a 3 axis gyro in it to stabilize it. Holding it in your hand and moving it will tell the gyro it's moving and it's trying to correct the movement. On the old one, it had a flybar to do this. On this one, it has a gyro to do it. I would like to get my hands on one just to test it out. I miss mine and sadly it died in a horrible fire.

flysolo

No that is 100% correct. As stated in my above post, it has a 3 axis gyro in it to stabilize it. Holding it in your hand and moving it will tell the gyro it's moving and it's trying to correct the movement. On the old one, it had a flybar to do this. On this one, it has a gyro to do it. I would like to get my hands on one just to test it out. I miss mine and sadly it died in a horrible fire.

Sorry to hear you lost yours, if you lived close by you could have mine :)

I understand that the 3 axis gyro will correct the movement, but is it really correct that the correction dissapears as soon as i touch the rudder stick? I mean if I keep tilting it and touch the rudder the 3 axis gyro stops compensating for the tilt

Tony

Staff member
From what I heard this is correct. And as for mine, I actually traded a guy for some planes and it was his place that caught on fire. Very sad story but no one was injured in it. I will have to do some checking on the rudder to say 100% for sure.

flysolo

Ok, then mine must be setup wrong in some other way. I mean if i hover my mcpx i can make piros in the spot without much compensation. With the msrx it's impossible, as soon as i use the rudder it takes of superfast to the side or back and just crashes. I call it 'schizo' because I can never be sure what it will do next.

sterlingh

Thanks for the encouraging words. I do get rush you talk about Adam. Its strange but I get very excited every time.Looking forward to mastering both these birds and still building/ setting up my 2- 450's. Finding this hobby and you guys has been the best thing I have done in a while... Thanks again!

Tony

Staff member
You will get there, but like anything else, it takes patience and persistence. You will crash and you will get discouraged, you just have to put it up on a shelf for a while and take it down when the shock wears off. They are a challenge and that is half of the fun of them.

Top Bottom