I am newbie flyer and just purchased a WL toys V959 quadcopter

rdoan

I would like to start off flying my quad copter on the right foot and if anyone could offer some basic lessons to help start flying, that would be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Rdoan

Stambo

What model quad did you get? (Ok just saw it is a V959)
Most WLtoys quads come with a transmitter with 4 different rates, 20% 40% 60% and 100%
Forget about 20%, use 40% for a start.
Make sure your batteries are fully charged and use a timer, don't fly till it is flat and won't fly any longer.
This will reduce the life of your batteries.
I run mine to about 7 minutes for my V959s.

If it has not yet been bound to the transmitter.
Plug the quad battery in on the quad.
Quickly turn on the transmitter, after a few seconds the small LED on the quad should go solid.
Unplug the quad and turn off the tx. This step should only be required once.
Now turn on the tx again, plug in the quad and set it down on a flat surface.
When the LED goes solid again you are ready to fly.

Pick an area with lots of room, no wind and NO SPECTATORS!!.
You need all your concentration when you are learning.
Start slowly bringing the throttle up,
as soon as it starts to lift put it down again.
Do this a few times until you are familiar with how much throttle is required for lift off.
These things are fairly robust and can take a beating so don't be too concerned about crashing it.
Now lift off to about a foot off the floor.
As long as the front is pointing away from you, (called tail in) the quad will go in the direction you lean the right stick.
(I am assuming mode 2 here, this means left stick = throttle and rudder.)
Try just moving around a little with the right stick and then landing back where you started.
Do this for a few batteries and you will soon get the hang of it.
Then let us know how you are getting on.

(A regular Playstation or Xbox user will find this quite easy.)

PS, I just realised where this post was, an admin might like to move it to the quad section.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Most of the new quads these days will hover very easily. Assuming it is a "dumb" quad and doesn't have GPS or compass orientation tracking modes, the biggest trick with them is maintaining orientation. They can be easy to get reversed without knowing it. :)

First steps:
1) Hover it.
2) Land it.
3) Repeat a few times.
4) Staying "nose" away, fly it slowly forward and then back, then bank it left or right, then back to starting position. Do the other direction (left/right) and back. Then back it up toward you and then forward again to your starting point. Do this for a battery or two until you get comfortable with moving it slowly around.
5) Try flying it forward and back again a little faster now. You may find the need to increase throttle to maintain altitude as you pitch it forward to get some speed up. Don't og crazy fast, build up speed little by little as you get comfortable with it.
6) Now the fun stuff... from your starting position, use rudder to do some slow pirouettes in both directions. Get a feel for how fast it will move for a given stick deflection.
7) From starting position, rotate with rudder to make it face to the left or right. Then apply forward stick to make it fly forward in that direction. Go slow. After moving 10-15ft. Stop forward motion, rudder around to the opposite direction, fly forward again either to your starting point or past it the same distance you just travelled. Stop and rudder back around and go to your starting point. Do this back and forth with forward flight a few times and get a feel for it. As you get comfortable, try not stopping fully before ruddering back around, just make the turn and forward to get it going in the opposite direction.

That should get you going and comfortable with basic flying. After that you'll probably have some notion of what to do next. If not, hit us up again! :)

MAke sure not to fly it until the battery gives out. Time yourself and see how long it takes to run out of juice, then next time fly a minute short of that time and recharge. Flying the battery down to the point it is falling out of the sky is going to damage the battery before long, it is also bad when this happens and you are 10 or more feet in the sky and unable to stop it from coming down hard.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, welcome to the forum!

rdoan

Hi Stambo, thank you for your great suggestions for beggining my flying lessons. I did as you suggested and the tx and quad seem to be connected fine. However, I find when I throttle up enough to get the quad off the ground, it won't hover well. Even though the control on the right side is in the neutral position the quad still wants to quickly move forward. Should I try using the trim controls on the right side? I have made sure the quad is on a level surface before plugging the battery in.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

Stambo

Hi Stambo, thank you for your great suggestions for beggining my flying lessons. I did as you suggested and the tx and quad seem to be connected fine. However, I find when I throttle up enough to get the quad off the ground, it won't hover well. Even though the control on the right side is in the neutral position the quad still wants to quickly move forward. Should I try using the trim controls on the right side? I have made sure the quad is on a level surface before plugging the battery in.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

Might pay to start a new thread in the quad copter section, this area is more for introductions not questions.
I will answer though, yes try moving the trim back towards you a bit at a time.
Or you can try propping up the front a little when you plug the battery in, a cd case is good. :)
These things are a lot of fun once you get the hang of them.
Even the video quality is not terrible. :)

Macc

Most of the new quads these days will hover very easily. Assuming it is a "dumb" quad and doesn't have GPS or compass orientation tracking modes, the biggest trick with them is maintaining orientation. They can be easy to get reversed without knowing it. :)

First steps:
1) Hover it.
2) Land it.
3) Repeat a few times.
4) Staying "nose" away, fly it slowly forward and then back, then bank it left or right, then back to starting position. Do the other direction (left/right) and back. Then back it up toward you and then forward again to your starting point. Do this for a battery or two until you get comfortable with moving it slowly around.
5) Try flying it forward and back again a little faster now. You may find the need to increase throttle to maintain altitude as you pitch it forward to get some speed up. Don't og crazy fast, build up speed little by little as you get comfortable with it.
6) Now the fun stuff... from your starting position, use rudder to do some slow pirouettes in both directions. Get a feel for how fast it will move for a given stick deflection.
7) From starting position, rotate with rudder to make it face to the left or right. Then apply forward stick to make it fly forward in that direction. Go slow. After moving 10-15ft. Stop forward motion, rudder around to the opposite direction, fly forward again either to your starting point or past it the same distance you just travelled. Stop and rudder back around and go to your starting point. Do this back and forth with forward flight a few times and get a feel for it. As you get comfortable, try not stopping fully before ruddering back around, just make the turn and forward to get it going in the opposite direction.

That should get you going and comfortable with basic flying. After that you'll probably have some notion of what to do next. If not, hit us up again! :)

MAke sure not to fly it until the battery gives out. Time yourself and see how long it takes to run out of juice, then next time fly a minute short of that time and recharge. Flying the battery down to the point it is falling out of the sky is going to damage the battery before long, it is also bad when this happens and you are 10 or more feet in the sky and unable to stop it from coming down hard.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Hi everyone, I bought a WLToys v959 mode 1 and it is not biding properly, I have tried several combinations and tricks from internet but it still blinking and not working. Please help me.

Top Bottom