Hyper links

treff

I keep getting hyper links come up in the text. Is this a pay for thing to help the site financially. It's a bit of a pain because I've been jumping to cd's
women's clothing and other unmentionable stuff. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

murankar

Staff member
All of that is for monetary support. Unfortunately Tony has no control over what adds are placed. Google provides adds based on your browsing tendencies. I usually configure my browser to not retain surfing data just for that reason. I don't like it when outside sources track my web surfing. I have nothing to hide I just like some privacy.

Most of my browsing habits are for the army, rc stuff and YouTube so most ofy ads are rc related. I have however had the few dating ads come up.

Other metrics that are used are overall habits of general users. So you may get the few obscure ads that unwelcome.

Unfortunately in order for the forum to remain free Tony needs those ads unless web as a community donate to support the site and projects. That's one reason for the long delay on the 600n project.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Yup, it's called Skimlinks and yup, it helps the site monetarily. And since the server upgrade, I need all the help I can get from the ads on the site. I do wish I could just remove them, but that is not going to happen any time soon.

treff

Okay Thanks to both. I just wondered, have not seen it before but I can not understand why I keep getting ads for women's underwear I was beginning to get worried LOL Although Pauline my better half uses this computer as well. Cheers

sarconastic

DO you have any luck with Skimlinks? I used a couple different ones and the results were pretty minimal. Just slowed the Site. I use adsense for the ads but the link were non productive for me. I am curious

WOody

Tony

Staff member
I had removed skimlinks for a while to let it settle down, and just recently put it back up to do some testing. You are right though, the revenue from them is very minimal compared to adsense, but it's still something. My server costs just doubled for this forum and I need all the help I can get to keep paying for it. In a couple months I will make the determination whether to keep them or not. Just depends on how well they work.

Top Bottom