Huge Earthquake In Oklahoma

Tony

Staff member
So we just had another quite large earthquake here in Oklahoma. It's funny, we were just talking (or I was) about this in another thread of Rodney's.

I felt this quake coming on a good 15 seconds BEFORE it hit. My coffee was getting ripples in it and I knew something was about to happen. Then, BOOM, the sucker hit. It knocked everything off my hutch on my desk, woke the wife up and I ran out to make sure my aquarium wasn't going to fall over. The large movements lasted for about 15 seconds, but the whole house shook for about 60 seconds more.

That was the biggest quake I have felt since the "Big One" when I was at my old house which registered a 5.5. I'm awaiting report on how big this one was.

For those wondering, it was centered (as of right now) just east of Shawnee.

Tony

Staff member
Just a little more info on that quake. There are reports of feeling it from Dallas to Omaha. Preliminary reports are that it was a 5.6 magnitude. They are now saying that it was centered in Pawnee Ok. which is way north of where they were saying it was coming from before.

The last quake we had when I was at my old house was November 5 at 10:53 p.m. CDT, ironically I was sitting at my desk, just like I was this time. This one felt a little stronger though but didn't have the roar that the last one had. The last one, I hear it coming. I actually told the wife that I was going to kill the kids if they didn't stop making so much noise. It turned out to be the sound of the quake coming lol. Then it hit. Nothing fell in that one though. In this one, I lost about half the things on my desk as they came crashing down.

Fun stuff to say the least. The one in 2011 had some pretty major damage on buildings. I'm awaiting to see what this one is going to bring. Maybe the government should prohibit the earth from creating earthquakes... That will work just about as well as the FAA saying that we can't fly and the FDA saying we can't vape....

Tony

Staff member
So I have been doing some reading on this, and a flight tower in Houston felt the quake. And there is video of a seismometer in LA (that's Los Angeles California) picked up the tremors. Now that is impressive. Still waiting on official word, but so far, it's that it was a 5.6.

And the radar image when it happened is amazing. You can see it hit by all of the birds taking flight when the ground started shaking.

trainrider06

What time was this Tony? Do you know if they are Fracking still around there? The oil companies I think finally quietly admitted that was the direct result of the tremors, and quakes we had been having as a result of fracking. It was obvious they were, because we hadn't had any in the areas before or since fracking was halted.

Tony

Staff member
It was just after 0700 this morning (0702 I believe). But, it's not "fracking" that is causing this issue, it's wastewater injection wells. And yes, they are slowing down on injecting wastewater into the bedrock which is slowing down the quakes.

RandyDSok

Here is a video capture of the radar during the quake... It's showing the birds, insects and whatever taking off after getting startled by the quake...

[video]https://www.facebook.com/randy.stafford.9/videos/1169550059768800/[/video]

trainrider06

It was just after 0700 this morning (0702 I believe). But, it's not "fracking" that is causing this issue, it's wastewater injection wells. And yes, they are slowing down on injecting wastewater into the bedrock which is slowing down the quakes.
I'd reckon quakes to be one of the more scary natural disasters since the very ground one is standing on could open up and deposit us into some deep dark crevice. Where as tornadoes, floods and such one can possibly find safety in low ground or higher ground!
Well don't fracking and injection go hand in hand? Since the purpose of fracking using waste water to do it is the process?
All I know is since many cities have banned fracking the tremors and quakes have subsided around here.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, wastewater injection wells are created from the material they use for the fracking. So in a way they go hand in hand, but are completely different.

RandyDSok

This is a little odd... or perhaps not for a government based operation... but...

I had heard the original report of this earthquake being measured at a preliminary M5.6 ... Later, I heard that the OGS was saying it was likely a M5.5 and it may get downgraded slightly .... I just checked one of their webpages and it's still listed at the original M5.6 rating FWIW.

I guess it still sits as a tie with the previous 2011 one...

Top Bottom