450 Howdy all!

trainrider06

I've got a question concerning swash mix on my HK450 that I put together....well really swash mix in general.
ok this thing mind you have not had a chance to idle up on it really just hover in garage testing....
Ok back to swash mix...my original settings were
AILE -60
ELEV -60
PITCH +35
These are the settings I used on my blade SR only reversed. My question is this. Are these settings variable? And how variable?
Meaning can these be all set at 100% I have an idea that this must be careful because of maybe limits of the swash servos banging into their limits???
Is this correct?
Reason I ask is this Dog takes almost full throttle to get off the ground just in normal mode.....
My blades, swash, head is all set up at 0 at mid stick, I get about 8 degrees pitch on either side of 0. I know I probably need to tilt that more around 10 pos
5-6 negative. My pitch and throttle curves I have fiddled back and forth with going from a linear curve to running
Throttle settings at 0 45 60 80 100.......pitch curves run around close to that.....Granted I don't know what in the world it'll do if I have a chance to idle
up....well i did flick it on at 0 stick and the heli of course sped up and squatted down on the skids....but I didn't take it up because well I was in the garage.
So what I did was increase pitch to about +70 on the swash and wa La she lifted up just after half throttle like I am used to.....
So my question being am I an idiot for setting my pitch up like that or are those swash mix settings a personal preference thing....
Rodney

murankar

Staff member
Yes they are variable. What they are set depends on your setup. Another factor is weather or not your are running a flybar. Most fly barless units handle that part of the radio.

On flybared helis this is how you change your min and max collective range and reverse your swash direction.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lee

You have the swash mix set right now. Default is 60, so 70 should be fine.
By increasing the pitch swash mix, you are basically increasing the swash travel giving you more blade pitch.
What you are looking for is to increase this until you see the swash binding with the frame or the head block, then back it off.
The defaults of 60,60,60 are normally fine as a start for beginners. This will give you about 11º +-

Once you have them set, then you adjust for the pitch you want through the pitch curve menu.
A good starting point is 45,47,50,75,100. This will give you a touch of negative for stability on the ground, but not so much that you can drive it in when you panic. :)

For your TH curve, I would suggest a flatter curve above mid stick. Something like 0,45,70,70,70
This will make the heli feel smoother in a hover, and less prone to bobbing up and down.

Good luck.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
I missed it. That +35 should be closer to +70. That's why its not getting off the ground that easy.

trainrider06

Yes they are variable. What they are set depends on your setup. Another factor is weather or not your are running a flybar. Most fly barless units handle that part of the radio.

On flybared helis this is how you change your min and max collective range and reverse your swash direction.

Ok Great! I was thinking this might be the case......I'll need to go back over it and make sure my travel adjustments on the rotor head are good.
Thank you so much!
Rodney

- - - Updated - - -

You have the swash mix set right now. Default is 60, so 70 should be fine.
By increasing the pitch swash mix, you are basically increasing the swash travel giving you more blade pitch.
What you are looking for is to increase this until you see the swash binding with the frame or the head block, then back it off.
The defaults of 60,60,60 are normally fine as a start for beginners. This will give you about 11º +-

Once you have them set, then you adjust for the pitch you want through the pitch curve menu.
A good starting point is 45,47,50,75,100. This will give you a touch of negative for stability on the ground, but not so much that you can drive it in when you panic. :)

For your TH curve, I would suggest a flatter curve above mid stick. Something like 0,45,70,70,70
This will make the heli feel smoother in a hover, and less prone to bobbing up and down.

Good luck.

I need to go back over my SR too I think because it has similar settings......it sucks in the wind! Just amazing these wonderful things you can do with these heli's
when you have a programmable radio and knowledgeable helpful fella's like yourself!
Thank you so much!

trainrider06

Oh no worry there, have an Align 500 Pro DFC I'm piecing together...
am sure I will need help with that one!

Top Bottom